The Dark Mod Forums

What kind of texture would this be?

Springheel

I need some opinions here. In mansions like the following images, with white walls, what kind of texture do you suppose that is? Is it plaster? Painted wood? Marble? Can anyone suggest any existing textures that would be suitable? Everything I've tried so far either looks too dirty (not good for a rich interior) or too pure white (which looks artificial).

129-17.5x451.jpg

http://winnerhospitality.com/Photo-Gallery/images/Buhl-Mansion-Photos/Interiors-Spa/Buhl-Mansion-Parlour-Foyer.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/realestate.aol.com/blog/media/2012/10/screen-shot-2012-10-09-at-3.18.27-pm.png

I would say it is some sort of plaster (in the two images linked), but iirc we don't have any plaster texture that clean. In the painting it looks more like stone or marble, as it is quite shiny.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Those photos are all really recent-looking, like late C19th and early C20th, so they could be either wood or plaster. People used plaster and wood at different times throughout history, but since those are so recent they could be either depending on the designer's taste/budget. It's almost certainly not marble, though.

Painted wood or wood with wall paper.

Note that it is not pure white, but rather "painter white" (white paint with a speck of black pigment added and mixed: in reality it is very light gray and not pure/true white.)

(Used to work in a paint shop as a teen.)

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

it depends on the thickness of the walls underneath and where the building is

in old buildings in england its alabaster/whitewash and plaster covered in gold leaf over brickwork, sometimes it would be white marble cut thin, if the underneath isn't brickwork then it probably isn't in england.