The Dark Mod Forums

Good FM for a blind ironman run?

dw1

I've been averse to quicksaves for a while but I also don't like losing progress. I guess that means I like the risk of failure but not failing.

So I would like some recommendations for FMs without many potentially "cheap" spots, or where running and hiding from an alerted guard is not going to snowball into being chased by an angry mob.

Oh and a small TDM suggestion, unless I missed it you might add a function to batch select FMs for download in the in-game downloader.

I think Railgun's "Trapped!" is pretty good for a blind iron man run.

I know that the recent "Sir Talbot's Collateral" is also pretty amenable to that play style too because

you've got so many ways to explore and escape.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Funny you mention that, I chose Sir Talbot's Collateral.

2 hours and 10 minutes in I...

Failed when I decided to use my alloted blackjack KO on Talbot. I had forgotten this was forbidden.

The FM is excellent. Not sure how I feel about the decision to ironman it. It adds a lot of tension, making some lockpicking spots almost excruciating. But of course it gets frustrating. I had about 6-7 deaths quite early on, usually when I had misjudged the full range of an NPC's path.

Edited by dw1

Short missions are usually great for ironmanning. Too long mission and you get careless.

Some from the top of my mind:

Too late, Trapped, Thieves, Pandoras Box, A noble home, sneak and destroy, outpost, poets and peasants, exhumed.

Short, engaging, excellent.

• Like 2

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Among the larger missions, Lords and Legacy should be good. It doesn't have tight guard placement and I don't recall any gotcha moments either.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Kyyrma's arrow trap would probably be a bit of a halting point :ph34r:

Haha! Maybe others have ninja dodging skills. I was ironmanning the mission and failed to dodge it.

But it taught me an important lesson about trap design in TDM: make them noisy, make them maiming, but never make them insta-kill (unless it is a bomb or something with an obvious fuse or other cue to to player that GTFO here or you die.)

• Like 1

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will likely try all of them.

Ironmaning Sir Talbot's I realized what excellent training it is for a speed run. The more you die the better you memorize how to rapidly get back to where you left off. It becomes almost muscle memory as someone said in another thread.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will likely try all of them.

Ironmaning Sir Talbot's I realized what excellent training it is for a speed run. The more you die the better you memorize how to rapidly get back to where you left off. It becomes almost muscle memory as someone said in another thread.

Eh you can train for any kind of speedrun. Find a good route, memorize it, and then do it fast over and over again.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

Eh you can train for any kind of speedrun. Find a good route, memorize it, and then do it fast over and over again.

My point was ironmaning has this as an unintended consequence of dying and repeating.

Agreed, RIT throws a spanner into the speedrun aspect, but I expect rit maps can be even more excellent for iron man runs. I think WS1: In the North would be a good example. Plenty of random ai paths to keep things interesting, but they are not too thick on the ground and there are always doors you can peep round and hiding places available so you never have to run blindly into the light.