The Dark Mod Forums

AI gets permanently stuck trying to close a door

Sotha

If a body is blocking the doorway, the AI gets stuck.

KkUG4Zu.jpg

The girl is closing the door. The door is blocked by the body. The door bounces open again. The girl tries to close it again, the door hits the body again. This cycles forever.

I dunno how this could be stopped. Perhaps the AI should give up doing something after a while?

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

If a body is blocking the doorway, the AI gets stuck.

[...]

I dunno how this could be stopped. Perhaps the AI should give up doing something after a while?

Better would be the action of the AI starts to ignore things. While the AI giving up is probably easier to do, usually the player is responsible somehow when such things occur. And that shouldn't be "rewarded". A door that should be closed for example, should close.

Then again, the cases were it would be helpful for the player and he wouldn't have already had a possibility for what he wanted are probably few, might be that ignoring just does the job.

I just have to think of the cases I did myself, of using gameplay techniques to trick AIs (in several games), that shouldn't have worked (like stapling boxes around entrances to stop them, and them walking mindlessly against them, using carried boxes as shield against visual contact and the like).

Those are always a bit weird to me, thus my initial instinct of not having AI stopped of doing something by things the player leaves in the world, when in reality that would be no issue for them.

Occasionally I've used this to my advantage legitimately. In Lords and Legacy, for example, I was proud of myself when I pinned Sir Antony in his bedroom by piling urns in front of the door. But when you can see the AI, I guess it's jarring. AI already react differently when it's the player's body blocking the door: on the third try they ram it hard, so that the player gets shoved out of the way. That would be harder to do with an AI body lying in the doorway. The only solutions I can think of are (1) have the door cut the body in half, which would need new models and would look a bit unrealistic, (2) have the AI drag the body away from the door which would be really complicated to get right in awkward spaces, and it'd need new animations, (3) have the AI give up and wander off, which would need new goals, or (4) have the blocking body become nonsolid so the AI can step over it without closing the door. (4) sounds the least unachieveable.. but this isn't my area of expertise. What else could we do?

Is the problem the AI can't get past the body, or that they can't close the door? If the latter, then just having them stop closing the door sounds like the most useful behaviour. I imagine the same thing could happen if the door was blocked with a sword or other movable.

Occasionally I've used this to my advantage legitimately. In Lords and Legacy, for example, I was proud of myself when I pinned Sir Antony in his bedroom by piling urns in front of the door. But when you can see the AI, I guess it's jarring. AI already react differently when it's the player's body blocking the door: on the third try they ram it hard, so that the player gets shoved out of the way. That would be harder to do with an AI body lying in the doorway. The only solutions I can think of are (1) have the door cut the body in half, which would need new models and would look a bit unrealistic, (2) have the AI drag the body away from the door which would be really complicated to get right in awkward spaces, and it'd need new animations, (3) have the AI give up and wander off, which would need new goals, or (4) have the blocking body become nonsolid so the AI can step over it without closing the door. (4) sounds the least unachieveable.. but this isn't my area of expertise. What else could we do?

Try to close door. Retry. Retry. If not succesful, emit a forcefield to kick moveables and ragdolls away. Retry. If not succesful, emit a strong forcefield to kick moveables and ragdolls away. Retry. Detect moveables and ragdolls near the stuck AI and remove them from game. Retry. Give up and go do something else.

Sure, would look like a fricking wizard was pounding the door. ;)

Why would you ever leave a body in a doorway? :laugh:

Well, shooting someone who is opening a door with their back turned is a golden opportunity...

IIRC, if the door user has come through the door, they'll give up trying to close it and continue on. This needs some studying, since that's not happening here, so pls file an issue for it.

Tracked: http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4152

Clipper

Wait a minute? What if the AI could break doors that are problematic. If a door is stuck, and the AI cannot manage it, the AI would play a kick/breach anim. The offending door is removed from play and replaced with soon dissipating dust cloud and wood fragments. The doorway would be clear of doors and should no longer present and obstacle to the AI.

Clipper