The Dark Mod Forums

Bob's Textureplasty Clinic

Bob Necro

Downloading and adding now...

@Springheel, there is that white block/stone texture we need for the WIP we are working on that I mentioned a while back!

Looks like this isnt gonna be a 5 min job, as I will have to look at the current mod texture lists and come up with new names for the new textures.

Still going strong.

http://goo.gl/photos/fopFfQBdTbPBTAp67

For those wondering about the specular map, the only change was removing a resizing artifact around the edges of it that was causing the texture it's affiliated with to have visible seams in many lighting conditions. Been bothering me in several missions it's been used in.

My tenth batch.

http://goo.gl/photos/Wo16NHCaMhqJsATv8

Some notes:

blocks_tealblue_peeling_local is a remake of a remake. While the normal map shouldn't look extremely bulging yet soft as if made of some kind of foam (a common problem with njob normals), neither should it be quite as flat and rough as my first take. I think this one is now very close to an optimal match for the source material. Please make sure you replace the earlier attempt with this.

The maiden normal seemed to have the lighting directions put in the wrong color channels. I fixed that, also toned down some really ropey jpeg artifacts(?!). Futhermore, the diffuse is an uncompressed 4mb tga, should maybe do something about that.

The more detailed water rings - I'd prefer this one not be run through the DXT Mangle if at all possible. It's only 128x128 in any case.

• Like 1

blocks_tealblue_peeling is supposed to be a smooth, worn stone texture used for humid, wet environments like dank tenements, sewers and slums. It should be smooth, which is why the Njob version was good. But I will look at this alternative to see how it is.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Still going strong.

http://goo.gl/photos/fopFfQBdTbPBTAp67

For those wondering about the specular map, the only change was removing a resizing artifact around the edges of it that was causing the texture it's affiliated with to have visible seams in many lighting conditions. Been bothering me in several missions it's been used in.

Done #14335

Okay, I have tested a bunch of textures, and I stand by my initial impressions - blocks_tealblue_peeling and blocks_lime_smooth are better in their old, smooth, "soapy" versions. Of course, if others would like to chime in, I am all ears - but I made these textures, and know what I want them to represent. :)

All the rest are super nice, BTW, except maybe one other: metal_irregularpanes_local, the window texture has a nice depth now, but I always thought the glass panes should have a very slight "warp" or "wave" effect due to their simple workmanship. What do you think about that? (Of course, if it is too much trouble, don't overdo it - it is good as it is. ;))

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Okay, I'm willing to defer to you regarding those, if it comes down to it. However, I've got one last trick up my sleeve:

http://goo.gl/photos/67BdT3UUkwTWYK429

This one's mostly the njob original, with the main difference being that I've slightly relit the bits of peeling paint so that they look more like they're above the stone rather that recessed into it. Give it a whirl and tell me what you think. If you still prefer the original, we'll say no more of it. :)

I'll see what I can do about the window.

• Like 3

I can live with this one. Thanks. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Made some normal maps (and the occasional specular) for Vigil's classic Thief textures. Also organized the DDSes and locals into the proper folder structure. No ready-to-use materials though.

http://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzHmWZvs_ns1d1pHSDNLemMzV3M/view?usp=sharing

Should prooobably not be added to core unless Vigil's license stuff is identical to the Dark Mod's, but here it is for any individual author who wants to use it.

Should prooobably not be added to core unless Vigil's license stuff is identical to the Dark Mod's, but here it is for any individual author who wants to use it.

http://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzHmWZvs_ns1d1pHSDNLemMzV3M/view?usp=sharing

We got perms from Vigil ages ago, but I completly forgot and never got around to adding them.

Sent: 24 March 2013

To: bikerdude

Subject: Re: High res textures

Yo! :) I'm no longer selling my textures, and TDM is very welcome to use them without charge - all I request is attribution in the credits somewhere. In case you don't have the latest hi-res versions, they can all be downloaded here: http://thief.washboardabs.net/new/

Best,

-Vigil

@Springs/Melan, can you chaps have a quick look through the pack when you get a few minutes and let me know which textures not to add to SVN? ta.

SWEET JESUS, lots of stuff there I've never seen before. :blink: The stuff I just did was the high(ish) res packs he had available on his site way back.

Well, I guess we all know what I'll be up to in the near future...

That could take awhile...lots to go through.

Just browsing through some and so far the only one that I don't care for is the woodveneer one. Also, the rough_hewn_stone10 ones with the windows strike me as odd. There's definitely a lot of great stuff in there though.

None of them appear to come with normalmaps already, though, so no point in adding any without them.

I will be slightly contrarian here. I think Vigil's textures are amazing, and generally like textures which were drawn by hand (not just based on photos), but I think they are so distinct, so unique that many of them clash with TDM's existing style, which, let us admit, is mostly photosourced with some manipulation here and there. What are your thoughts on this?

(Make no mistake, there are some I would love to become a part of TDM)

Most of the stone and wood ones I looked at looked photorealistic to me, though I didn't look at everything.

Ones like the following seem perfectly suitable to me:

post-9-0-67233000-1437239330_thumb.jpg