The Dark Mod Forums

Bob's Textureplasty Clinic

Bob Necro

For the record, I calibrate my normal maps based on a standard I've seen in most other games - a fair chunk of Dark Mod normal maps are rather extreme in the contrast department. But if you want me to hold myself to that standard instead, I guess I can play ball.

It varies from game to game. Thief 3, for example, had normals as deep as the Mariana Trench, much deeper than our textures. Games with parallax mapping go even deeper. We are typically shooting for depth, and we have a stylised look where this depth fits.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

The shields look nice and much better defined than my original attempt. Will have to try them in practice!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Looking to this thread, wow, that sounds er looks all nice. Seems 2.04 will get a boost in quality, love especially the idea of higher resolutions - some of our original textures have become quite outdated in that department over the years due to progressing of technology. Can't wait to play some old missions with these new shiny textures!

• Like 1

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Exquisite windows. If you have time, some more variations (colours) on the wallpapers would be great, and painted walls, and cracked painted walls. Usually at the time, commoners used lime wash. We don't have any paint. Also ceilings we are desperate for, there is only one really, a stucco and it doesn't really suit noble areas unless it's poorly lit. Be great to get some nice ceilings, with plaster effects.

Also since I'm dropping in requests lol. We have a fair amount of timber panelling, but not a lot of plain timber panels that match them. Often a detailed panel would look better if it could have a molded patch in the same timber texture (not detailed) to go with it. We've only two that are good for noble rooms.

Any of those would be amazing.

Edited by NeonsStyle

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

• 2 weeks later...

We have a lot of nice timber panelling, but very little nice plain timber panels to go with them. ie polished_redbrown is the only nice red plain timber, but when you use it it gets a stripe across it. Be nice to have one of those that is just timber grain. Same with all the other timber panels. Like all the decorative_ timbers and the grey timbers, there's no plain grain timbers to go with them. A plain timber texture is great to use for building prefabs, or railings. It has all sorts of uses.

So many of those panels like panel_vase_polished, panel_warrior, panels_decorative_arched, panel_decorative_long series, none of those have plain timber panels that you can use with them. So it's difficult to find places to use them.

Then with rail1, rtable1 rtable2 both have a beutiful grain, but since they have a detail at the bottom, be nice to have a full size of this timber. The other one is rtable2_top which is the only real plain timber panel. The grains a bit much but it is nice. Other colours of that would be great.

On a different note, we also don't have any thatched roof textures. ie like this:

ThatchGrass1.jpg88260ac2-8af8-4093-ab77-

thatched-roof-402x173.jpg

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

On a different note, we also don't have any thatched roof textures. ie like this:

textures/darkmod/roof/thatch01

Ahhh I stand corrected Spring lmao