The Dark Mod Forums

Many Mixamo models and animations go free!

HMart

If you don't know what mixamo is, is a online automatic character rigging and animator, used by many game developers, there's many characters there and animations that could be used on TDM.

https://www.mixamo.com/store/#/search?page=1&type=Character

:D

P.s - Only 20 animations and 10 rigs are free so be carefull don't spend it all on a single model, i did that now i can't download the dog, the wolf and the cat animations. :(

Edited by HMart
  • Like 3

Interesting. What is the licensing like? If they're usable in the mod and we can get them in a format that we can use, there could be some good stuff there. The cat and dog look usable, and there are a couple human AI that are well done too (though they'd probably need to be rerigged to our skeleton).

distribute its applications and products for which Embedded Animation Data has been embedded pursuant to a commercially reasonable end-user license agreement containing terms and conditions commensurate with industry norms. User’s license to use and distribute Animated Data is limited to Embedded Animated Data. Redistribution, or republication or commercialization of Animated Data that is not Embedded Animated Data is prohibited. For example, approved distribution or use of Animated Data as Embedded Animated Data includes, but is not limited to: (i) as rendered moving images; resold as part of a feature film or broadcast or otherwise used in demonstration or marketing materials, and (ii) as part of a game if the Embedded Animated Data is contained inside a proprietary format and displays inside the game during play.

As far as I can tell from the license, you're allowed to use it for any purpose so long as it's put to use, rather than their raw animation data. Basically you can't re-sell it as it is when you download it: you have to use it in something, and then you can do whatever you want with your finished project.

Edited by Airship Ballet

The bugbear there is "proprietary format". Usually that means formats that can't be easily opened by editing software. Does the .md5anim (or .pk4) format meet that criteria?

To my knowledge, 'proprietary format' is a big umbrella term that covers most well-known formats out there. Since there's no stipulation that it has to be the licensee's own proprietary format, it's safe to say that they mean anything they can access and check over for unauthorised edits or lack of "Mixamo proprietary notices" that are apparently to be included with the data.

Edited by Airship Ballet

it's safe to say that they mean anything they can access and check over for unauthorised edits

That's not how I understand the term.

A proprietary format is a file format of a company, organization, or individual

• that contains data that is ordered and stored according to a particular encoding-scheme, designed by the company or organization to be secret, such that the decoding and interpretation of this stored data is only easily accomplished with particular software or hardware that the company itself has developed. The specification of the data encoding format is not released, or underlies non-disclosure agreements.

However, to muddy the waters further, there is a difference between "open proprietary format" and "closed proprietary format".

That's not how I understand the term.

That's not the actual definition of the term "proprietary format", but it's what their license is on about. A proprietary format is just one that can only be opened by a specific program. That said, it's not particularly well-written, because "a proprietary license" could mean either "any recognisable file format out there so we can check on it" or "your own file format encoded to prevent people getting access to raw animation data". There are lots of proprietary formats that people can get into and make off with animation data from, pk4 included, but "a proprietary format" does include them. It doesn't say "a proprietary format of the licensee's invention" but the whole thing also serves to say that they don't want people getting at raw animation data. Unless you can get it clarified, I'd err on the side of caution.

Oh, and open/closed is just the same as open and closed source, in that open formats' specification and structure are open to the public, and closed ones aren't.

Edited by Airship Ballet

"your own file format encoded to prevent people getting access to raw animation data"

That's how I interpreted it. Maybe someone with more legal knowledge can chime in.

the formats are dea(collada) and fbx

fbx should be useable.

I tried the import with a character I had and it worked pretty good. Mine is a biped with a tail, so the tail wasn't working. But I dragged the running man dance on him and it worked pretty good. Then I imported the fbx just fine, so could animate tail from there. Didn't mess up my bones in anyway. Really cool website.

Though my textures didn't seem to upload.

The dogs are pretty nice, you can choose it and look at all anims.

-----

you could probably import tdm character and rig. Choose an anim, save as fbx, then reexport whatever format you need.

It really did take less than a minute to import, slap an animation on it and export.

Edited by Gestas

you could probably import tdm character and rig. Choose an anim, save as fbx, then reexport whatever format you need.

You can apply these animations to characters using a custom skeleton?

I tried downloading some of the dog animations...I can load the .fbx animations in Maya, but all I get is the mesh, not the animation or skeleton.

this is off their legal page

4. Proprietary Rights.

Mixamo (or its licensors) retain all right, title and interest in and to the Software, Applications, Services, Website, Content, Animation Data, and any copies and any derivatives or modifications thereof, other than modifications made to the Animation Data as a part of preparing the Embedded Animation Data as provided in Section 2.4. User shall have no rights to modify or make derivative works of the Software, Applications, Services, Website, Content, Animation Data, other than the limited right granted in Section 2.4 to make modifications to the Animation Data as a part of preparing the Embedded Animation Data. Except as expressly granted in Section 2, no license, right or interest in any Mixamo patent, trademark, copyright, trade name or service mark is granted hereunder. Absent a written grant of rights greater than that contained in Section 2, all other rights or sub-divisions of rights generally included in a copyright are excluded from this license and remain the property of Mixamo. The resale or redistribution by User of any Animation Data is expressly prohibited unless it is Embedded Animated Data and such resale or redistribution is permitted pursuant to Section 2.4. User agrees not to (i) rent, lease, or transfer the Software or Applications and rent, lease, or commercialize in any other way (except as expressly permitted herein) the Animation Data; or (ii) export the Software, Applications, Services, or Animation Data in violation of U.N. embargoes or U.S. laws and regulations. User (or its licensors) retain all right, title and interest in and to the User Characters.

end quote

I tried downloading some of the dog animations...I can load the .fbx animations in Maya, but all I get is the mesh, not the animation or skeleton.

I had that too. You have to watch out what you're downloading. I accidently had downloaded only the mesh, then later only the mesh with one applied animation and after the third time I had a whole zip with the mesh and an fbx for each animation. It's kind of confusing how they designed their website, but it should be possible to get this done right after some trial & error :)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

How does that work?

If I can't open the .fbx files that are downloaded, my ability to experiment is limited.

My time to experiment with this is pretty limited right now, but I'd be curious to see the results if anyone else has time.