The Dark Mod Forums

Dishonored 2

Cambridge Spy

hmm, would like to jump from one character to the other, as it would prolong gameplay, assuming they would branch off and do different things.

Can you not replay the game as Corvo or Emily and achieve the same effect? one of the things I loved about Dishonored 1 was the ability to traverse the levels in multiple ways and complete objectives with multiple options. Thus making additional playthroughs somewhat enticing.

I',m pleasantly surprised that Dishonored made PC Gamers top ten list of best PC games ever out of 100. Mostly because people that I know play computer games have never heard of Dishonored therefore I assumed it didn't reach commercial success.I think they were number six (Thief one and two were somewhere in the top 100 but I forget where)and they did a good job of justifying why each game earned their position. The main plus points for Dishonored were it's replay values. It can be replayed using different game play styles or by traversing levels via different navigation routes.

I believe some of the guys that cut their teeth on game design doing Thief Fms (Digital Nightfall is one that springs to mind but I forget the name of the other) hence tho open world exploration of the original Thief games was carried over.

Hopefully doing such a successful game like Dishonored ( loved it) they can build on what made it great and produce something even more fantastic.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Never been a fan of character switching, just because it doesn't make a lot of sense within the confines of the gameworld, and kills immersion. But I suppose depending on how creative the devs are, they could come up with a logical scenario where it could work.

I would think any gamer who is anything more than a casual or mobile gamer certainly has heard of Dishonored. It sold well and was published by the same company that made Skyrim and Fallout.

As far as TTLGers now working at Arkane goes, there's Digital Nightfall, but Purah (of Calendra fame) was the first. Most recently, HipBreaker (Breaking The Stone, Eclipsed) started there earlier this year.

I agree with both. Character switching can be fun, as long as it fits into the game setting. In a first person stealth game, I also think it kills immersion and thus is not so good. I also agree with Sir Taffsalot: If you cannot switch, it is more likely that you will play it again. Especially, if the story differs or is seen from different fiews. As far as I know in a more recent release from the Resident Evil series this was done and my flatmate enjoyed very much, to see some scenes from different views. It both has its merits...

• 2 weeks later...

Here's Harvey Smith explaining a bit more about the trailer released at E3.

I don't know if i'm just looking for Thief similarities but I feel like those clock work soliders he talks about are inspired by the mechanist masked guards in Thief 2. Both of those AI were crafted specifically for rich aristocrats to protect them and have a creepy robotic aesthetic. Obviously the ones in Dishonored 2 look quite different but I think there are some similarities there.

Whatever their inspiration it all looks really cool, I hope we get to see some gameplay soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrpKYglEaus

I thought it was going to be based on CryEngine. At least that's what I read in many news posts from end 2013..

Honestly I don't see why they wouldn't just stick with tradition and move up in the Unreal branch (with UE4). One of the most powerful engine's to date which I could even see the pre-render being close to. PBR certainly isn't exclusively featured to UE4 by any means, but it's very well suited and designed from the ground up to harness the new tech. Lighting and particles in UE4 and absurdly good but the only thing I've found lacking is the physics simulations, especially for the practical usages.

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

I'd love to see more steam and clockwork tech in Thief type games. The stompy steam bot is one of my favourite things in TDM.

Honestly I don't see why they wouldn't just stick with Unreal

The only thing I'd add is that switching engines is, I'd guess, probably non-trivial in terms of staff training/skills/experience and office work-flow and systems and tech support and all that.

tbh I was a little surprised that Arkane moved away from Valve's Source Engine following Dark Messiah and The Crossing. Anyway - I've no idea what they're using - but Unreal would be guess #1.

I think the switch to the id Tech 5 can easily be explained - the engine is a property of id Software, and id is a branch of Bethesda. Thus, if you're a branch of Bethesda (id, Arkane, Machine Games, Tango Gameworks), you should use a Bethesda's engine: either the id Tech 5, or the Creation Engine (TES V: Skyrim, Fallout 4).

oh so apparently it's public knowledge (it says so at the end of the trailer) that it's using something called 'the void engine', which is Zeni-Max proprietary thing using id tech.

I'm assuming it's a heavily modified version of id5 then. Which may also be fundamentally different depending on how far they branch off from the original tools. I mean look at Source, that was originally based off a modified quake engine.

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

I think Arkane is a small enough company, though it has two offices (Lyon and Austin), so I suppose that that Void Engine is more like the Vengeance Engine from Irrational Games - it had a different name, and a few cool features here and there, but it was still mainly the Unreal Engine 2.5. I mean the Void Engine contains probably 90-95% of the id Tech 5 Engine.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

The voice acting cast has been announced today. Stephen Russel is going to be the voice of Corvo.

Also, the game is set to be released on November 11. Bethesda sure loves that date (no doubt due to Armistice Day).

"Let me guess - little blue men with three heads stole your sweetroll?"

The voice acting cast has been announced today. Stephen Russel is going to be the voice of Corvo.

WOW

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

• 2 weeks later...

the void engine might be a fork of id tech 666 engine, although there is mention of an id tech 7 engine, according to a wiki the id tech 6 engine,

" The engine works by raycasting the geometry represented by voxels (instead of triangles) stored in an octree,"

end quote,

might be why there's no actual modding available for doom 4, except that snap module bits together. looking at video's of doom 4 I don't think that all that is shown is megapixel bump maps, and might actually be what it says it is in the wiki for id tech 6(66).

• 4 weeks later...

A great little mention of Thief and Stephen Russell's amazing voice acting ability at 11:27

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prRdYxD9-Xg&feature=youtu.be&t=11m27s

I swear this game is just ticking all the right boxes for me, can't wait to see what they show off at their E3 presentation on the weekend.

• Like 2

I swear this game is just ticking all the right boxes for me, can't wait to see what they show off at their E3 presentation on the weekend.

Agreed, I am currently replaying the first part. This time on high chaos, as I tried to ghost as best as I could the first time. This had as a result, that I almost only used "Dark Vision" and "Blink". This time I want to take more advantage of the abilities that are given to the player.

Agreed, I am currently replaying the first part. This time on high chaos, as I tried to ghost as best as I could the first time. This had as a result, that I almost only used "Dark Vision" and "Blink". This time I want to take more advantage of the abilities that are given to the player.

I played through the DLC (Knife of Dunwall & The Brigmore Witches) recently and that is like a thief love letter. Voiced protaganist, briefings before each missions, ability to ghost missions, open ended design to missions with multiple points of entry, readables, conversations between guards, even the store loadout at the start of each mission has a very thief-esque ambient to it. I loved all of it.

If you haven't played through the DLC I highly recommend it!

• Like 3

Oh, I have. And I loved every minute of it. I am generally against DLCs as I rather buy the whole product. But these had too good reviews to not play them... Here it is basically the same. Mostly used "Blink" and almost no other abilities, so as soon as I am done with the main game, I will also replay the DLCs. It was actually strange to play the game again after the DLC, because I was so used to the time stopping when using Blink.

• Like 1