The Dark Mod Forums

Dishonored 2

Cambridge Spy

My only complaint so far based on the footage is that the locations look pretty samey, even with the new "exotic" locations. It's like they decided the same 4 colours used everywhere in the game can not be diverged from. Even the architecture and plantation seems to have to follow some pretty rigid guidelines. (or lack of imagination?)

I do hope I'm wrong, though!

But having a similar colour pallet is actually a good thing and its more realistic.

I don't feel like I'm in a simulation when I'm playing Dishonored 1. It feels like a made up world. I don't think "realistic" is any sort of virtue here. "Monotonous" is closer to what I'm thinking it is.

My number one(ish) issue with Dishonored 1 was also that most places felt identical nearly, not much variance in the mood and atmosphere. I'm not saying you have to go full on alice in wonderland, but god, a bit of variance truly would be nice to see.

My only complaint so far based on the footage is that the locations look pretty samey, even with the new "exotic" locations. It's like they decided the same 4 colours used everywhere in the game can not be diverged from. Even the architecture and plantation seems to have to follow some pretty rigid guidelines. (or lack of imagination?)

I do hope I'm wrong, though!

It's called "a visual style," not "a lack of imagination." AFAIK, the Dunwall's design was inspired by the Victorian architecture of British cities like London, Edinburgh, etc. And since almost all events of DH1 are happened in Dunwall and its outskirts, it's obvious that there should be some scheme in its visuals. Although I've never been in Britain, I doubt that someone can find there a Long Beach-style dawn.

I should say the same about Karnaca: since almost all events of DH2 are happened in this city, it's obvious that there should be some scheme in its visuals.

You want some more exotic visuals? Then welcome to the Far Cry, Crysis, Dead Island, and other series.

• Like 1

Yeah, if you walk through old parts of real cities you will also notice that the "mappers" tend to use the same textures and style over and over again ;)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

It's called "a visual style," not "a lack of imagination." AFAIK, the Dunwall's design was inspired by the Victorian architecture of British cities like London, Edinburgh, etc. And since almost all events of DH1 are happened in Dunwall and its outskirts, it's obvious that there should be some scheme in its visuals. Although I've never been in Britain, I doubt that someone can find there a Long Beach-style dawn.

I should say the same about Karnaca: since almost all events of DH2 are happened in this city, it's obvious that there should be some scheme in its visuals.

You want some more exotic visuals? Then welcome to the Far Cry, Crysis, Dead Island, and other series.

A game can have a visual style whilst varying it a bit. That's just it, when you establish a visual style, diverging from it can really create a sense of awe.

Yeah, if you walk through old parts of real cities you will also notice that the "mappers" tend to use the same textures and style over and over again ;)

Oh wait, I thought we were talking about games, not real life. Even then, my real life looks nothing like a sepia filter showcase.

A game can have a visual style whilst varying it a bit. That's just it, when you establish a visual style, diverging from it can really create a sense of awe.

Yes, I partially agree with you. I suppose, Unreal 1 can be an example of what you're saying - the game has fantastic, very different visuals, but that was the goal of Epic. I suppose, the Arkane's goal was and is a bit different, if we speak about DH1 & DH2. BTW, who knows, maybe DH2 contains some places with their own visuals that we still didn't see: say, a silver mines, or a garden with that Brigmore-ish tree(s) from one of the videos, etc.

Britain is on the same longitude as 'Newfoundland and Labrador' in Canada, so the dawns and sunsets would be like they are there, depending on the time of the year, dawn is at 3.30am in the summer and lasts a good hour or so and sunset is at 9.30pm and also lasts a couple of hours, in winter its 8.00am and 4:00pm but we have 6 months of cloud/fog/drizzle and no visible sun in the winter its a bit hard to work out when it actually happens.

Karnaca is supposed to be on the same longitude as Madrid in Spain, which is the same longitude as New York in America. Long Beach is at nearly the same longitude as Casablanca in Morocco in Africa.

• 2 weeks later...
Slightly off topic from the previous posts in this thread... In anticipation of D2, I decided to replay D1 from start to finish, plus all the DLCs, on veteran level. Neutralized all targets non-lethally across the board, even spared

Havelock, Daud, and Delilah

. Got low chaos and the good ending.

I can't get over how much this reminds me of Thief. Hiding in shadows isn't really an option in D1, unless there's a bit of a distance between you and the other guy, but it's more realistic, I suppose. For example, the ending of the Brigmore Witches which mirrors what Garrett did in TDP with the Trickster,

swapping the ritual object and then sitting back to watch the bad guy/lady destroy themselves

, they are so similar. Some of the makers of D1 were involved in making Thief, is that right?

In any case, I have high hopes for D2. I'm hoping for less linearity and more options on how to get into places, how to take out targets or not, etc. and not just so that there's a good or a bad ending. If D2 becomes another run down a single path, like NuThief, then I'll be so pissed. The game's not cheap, so I want variety, options, and more freedom to decide what to do. Visually speaking, Dunwall was rather uniform, but that fitted the overall ambience of the game, I think, so I don't necessarily want or need huge variety with D2 on that score. Some would be good, though.

Also, with the amount of runes in the game, is there even a chance of unlocking every ability? I think not. In the DLCs that was even more apparent, even with Daud's powers carrying over from the Knife of Dunwall to the Brigmore Witches. I missed a single rune in the last mission of the Brigmore Witches, out of every rune in the game, and I still had a lot left to unlock, stuff I never got to use. Kinda sucks.

Judging from the trailers, though, I do wish they'd come up with a different villain. I never liked Delilah. She seemed boring to me, and her cohorts, the chicks and the hounds, respawned all the freaking time. After the third time I was bored out of my mind. Plus, Delilah's too much like the Trickster. And I've dealt with that SOB already! I wanted something new, the way they gave us a nature villain in TDP and then a tech villain in TMA. Why couldn't they do that with D2?

In any case, I have high hopes for D2. I'm hoping for less linearity and more options on how to get into places, how to take out targets or not, etc. and not just so that there's a good or a bad ending. If D2 becomes another run down a single path, like NuThief, then I'll be so pissed. The game's not cheap, so I want variety, options, and more freedom to decide what to do. Visually speaking, Dunwall was rather uniform, but that fitted the overall ambience of the game, I think, so I don't necessarily want or need huge variety with D2 on that score. Some would be good, though

Do you mean less linearity than Thi4f or less linearity than Dishonored? If you meant the latter, I have to disagree. Apart from a couple of choke points (that are most likely necessary due to performance) Dishonored usually had multiple entrance ways and a couple of options in each situation. However, playing on low chaos is drastically limiting the abilities you can use, so I would like a couple more non-lethal options (although I think they have some, like the "entrancing" (?) ability shown in some gameplay video).

Judging from the trailers, though, I do wish they'd come up with a different villain. I never liked Delilah. She seemed boring to me, and her cohorts, the chicks and the hounds, respawned all the freaking time. After the third time I was bored out of my mind. Plus, Delilah's too much like the Trickster. And I've dealt with that SOB already! I wanted something new, the way they gave us a nature villain in TDP and then a tech villain in TMA. Why couldn't they do that with D2?

Well, with each new game that appears, it will get more difficult to create a new and unique villain, so it is not unlikely that you will be reminded of some other villain you defeated in an older game you played. Still, I agree, it would be nice to have someone who did not appear in the first game.

I also replayed the whole thing again at the hardest setting and thought that the Knife of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches were too linear except for taking out the overseers using no kill which is more difficult than it sounds because they have a tendency to fall and kill themselves

I also did the main mission in high chaos which is relatively easy including the final part at the lighthouse

Just to add - is Veteran difficulty something from a DLC as I don't have that option

Edited by Oldjim

Do you mean less linearity than Thi4f or less linearity than Dishonored? If you meant the latter, I have to disagree. Apart from a couple of choke points (that are most likely necessary due to performance) Dishonored usually had multiple entrance ways and a couple of options in each situation. However, playing on low chaos is drastically limiting the abilities you can use, so I would like a couple more non-lethal options (although I think they have some, like the "entrancing" (?) ability shown in some gameplay video).

Well, with each new game that appears, it will get more difficult to create a new and unique villain, so it is not unlikely that you will be reminded of some other villain you defeated in an older game you played. Still, I agree, it would be nice to have someone who did not appear in the first game.

WAY less linear than NuThief, absolutely. D1 had more options when it came to deciding on routes to take or methods to use. But there were some areas that had a single bottleneck area that didn't need to be there. Unless, as you said, it's for performance, in which case it's understandable.

And I also thought the chaos thing limited the options we had. For example, whenever I saw those lightning rod things, I used the rewiring machine to get past safely while everyone else got electrocuted. That created high chaos, unless I was lucky enough for no one to have noticed (?). And using the devouring swarm? Completely out of the picture if you don't want high chaos. Shadow kill was useful for me, and would be for any assassin IMHO, but to use it is to kill, so...

So definitely room for improvement. I sure hope they find a new way of coming up with different endings and do away with the whole chaos thing. It's limiting a lot!

I also replayed the whole thing again at the hardest setting and thought that the Knife of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches were too linear except for taking out the overseers using no kill which is more difficult than it sounds because they have a tendency to fall and kill themselves

I also did the main mission in high chaos which is relatively easy including the final part at the lighthouse

Just to add - is Veteran difficulty something from a DLC as I don't have that option

As Daud, the pull II ability was utterly useless. If used on people, especially from a high vantage point, they fell down and died. If one wanted no kills, then that's just a waste of runes.

Oldjim, there were four difficulty levels to my recollection: Novice, Veteran, Assassin, and Master Assassin. The last one's super difficult. I tried it once. Just once. Didn't make it fifteen minutes. Veteran and Assassin levels work for me, the first more so considering the way I play.

The chaos was a nice way to show the player, that the murders have consequences and were well fitting for a plague riddled city, but I agree that it strongly encourages a no-kill playstyle (which I personally prefer, anyway, so I didn't mind). I am currently playing the game for the second time in a lethal playstyle (but am only in level 2 right now), so I cannot say, how strong the differences are and how the difficulty increases when playing non-lethal.

Regarding your earlier comment about the number of runes: I think, it was meant for the player to choose a playstyle and stick with it. I also prefer it, when you can unlock as many things as possible (or even all things) in one playthrough, but this way you might have more motivation to replay the game.

Regarding difficulty - I just checked

In the main game there were Easy, Normal, Hard and Very Hard

In the DLC they were Normal, Veteran, Elite and Master Assasin

The reason I didn't remember Veteran was that I always played on the very hardest setting

Regarding High Chaos there are two main changes as far as I can see - a lot more rats and they attack the guards if you can get them near to each other and the ending which is much more interesting and saving Emily is easily done only by using

the freeze time powers

Edited by Oldjim

• 2 weeks later...

Min and recommended requirements drop -

- http://www.dsogaming.com/news/dishonored-2-official-pc-requirements-pc-graphics-settings/

Minimum:

• Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit versions); Intel Core i5-2400/AMD FX-8320 or better
  • 8 GB RAM; 60 GB free HDD space; NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB or better
  • Contains a single disc. Download of additional files from Steam is required to run the game.
  • Requires Steam activation.

Recommended:

• Windows 10 (64-bit versions); Intel Core i7-4770/AMD FX-8350 or better
  • 16 GB RAM; 60 GB free HDD space; NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB/AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB or better
  • Contains a single disc. Download of additional files from Steam is required to run the game.
  • Requires Steam activation.

In addition, Bethesda revealed the PC graphics settings for Dishonored 2. PC gamers will feature uncapped framerates, support for multiple monitors and an adjustable FOV.

Furthermore, Arkane Studios has implemented some specific NVIDIA features, such as HBAO+, TXAA, Surround technology and Ansel.

Here are Dishonored 2’s PC graphics settings:

• Adaptive Resolution
  • Gamma
  • Window Mode / Borderless / Fullscreen
  • V-Synch
  • Texture Details
  • Models Details
  • Environmental Details
  • Antialiasing
  • Rat Shadows
  • Bloodfly Shadows
  • Water Quality
  • Shadow Quality
  • View Distance
  • Video Card Selection
  • Resolution
  • Monitor Selection
  • Field of Vision

I wonder if there will be any real use of hyper threading as that is the only real difference between the i5 and i7 for comparable speeds

16 GB Ram seems a bit over the top - it will be interesting to see the actual results

Given the Win 10 recommended I assume it will use DX12

Edited by Oldjim

I'm sure that the game will definitely use any hardware threads your CPU has. Why? Because the Void Engine is based on the id Tech 5, therefore we can safely enough interpolate the test results of the latest id Tech 5-based games (Wolfenstein: The New Order, Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, The Evil Within), say, from GameGPU.com, on Dishonored 2.

Those tests say: yes, there is a little difference between Core i5 and i7. But how much it will be in case of Dishonored 2? Who knows. But I doubt that it will be big enough.

About RAM: both Wolfensteins consume from 1.5 to 1.8 GB. How much RAM will Dishonored 2 consume? I don't know, but I doubt that it would be more than 4-5 GB.

And since the id Tech 5 uses OpenGL, I suppose that there will be no DX12 mode in Dishonored 2, probably Vulkan (a.k.a. OpenGL Next) instead.

I just checked with Deus Ex Mankind Divided using the performance test and it peaked at about 2.1 GB estimated - total 4.67GB and that has a 16GB recommended in Win 10 so I have no idea where it gets used

A thought - looking here - https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Performance_Analysis/Deus_Ex_Mankind_Divided/5.html

I wondered if the memory recommended includes the video card memory but that doesn't seem to be the case and I can't find any actual tests

Edited by Oldjim

bet the game disk is mostly empty except for a steam install, and game key on a sheet of paper, then its downloads the compressed files from steam.

windows 10 uses virtual memory as graphics memory, well it does on my computer. it currently sees 6gb free for graphics, that 2gb on card and 4gb on virtual memory, virtual memory set to 8gb. so its basically using half the virtual memory for additional graphics.

all those people who say that windows based computers don't need virtual memory are the ones that always complain that games run crap on their machines. they always say they have 32gb on ram and don't need virtual memory.

The first point isn't accurate - the games files (64GB for Mankind Divided) are on the hard drive and my save files aren't uploaded either

The recommended graphics card has 6GB RAM and doesn't use virtual memory as the used memory is well below that unless you go for something silly like Ultra on 4k and using it would really slow things down