The Dark Mod Forums

Dishonored 2

Cambridge Spy

As it is technically still the same engine as in part one as far as I have read I'm a bit curious where the performance issues come from.

Nope, DH2 uses a completely different engine, so named the Void Engine, an idTech 5 fork. Whereas DH1 uses Unreal Engine 3.5.

Edited by MoroseTroll

@Summer, what are you rig specs and what are you running DS2 at? and lastly have you disabled TXAA..?

Sorry for not answering sooner. Work on Friday, then girls' night out... that extended into the early hours of Sunday :D
In any case, here are my specs:
  • Asus G74S
  • Windows 10 (64-bit)
  • Intel Core i7-2670
  • 8 GB RAM
  • nVidia GTX 560
  • 1920x1080
And no, I haven't disabled anything yet. I'm playing on the settings that came on automatically. Only added subtitles (not that they're much use when they keep bleeding into the sunlit background and I can't see them clearly).
My roommate's machine runs the game fine. No problems on automatic settings. Crashed to desktop once but that was it. Her rig's newer than mine, bought just last year, top of the line.
@Bikerdude, gonna check out that tweak thread and see if my laptop can handle the game with a couple of adjustments. Nvidia already recommended a few things to optimize the game.
As for the gameplay itself, there are annoyances. One of them is using the heart to spot runes and bone charms. They're so faint I can only see how many there are when I turn my back from them and see their number on the side of my screen. Plus, it seems their number on a level has been increased because there's no way to get some of them. As stumpy noted earlier, the second level in the game has an Overseer outpost with a group in front of one rune and one bone charm, and they never leave. Ever. I had to accept I wasn't going to get them in my current ghosting playstyle. Bugger. I can't wait to hear how people have managed to acquire all items on each level.
They're going to put out a performance patch soon though, aren't they? I look forward to that.

• nVidia GTX 560 @ 1920x1080
And no, I haven't disabled anything yet. I'm playing on the settings that came on automatically. Only added subtitles (not that they're much use when they keep bleeding into the sunlit background and I can't see them clearly).
@Bikerdude, gonna check out that tweak thread and see if my laptop can handle the game with a couple of adjustments. Nvidia already recommended a few things to optimize the game.

If you want to play @1080p on that card your gonna have to turn down a lot of settings

Nope, DH2 uses a completely different engine, so name the Void Engine, an idTech 5 fork. Whereas DH1 uses Unreal Engine 3.5.

Then I misread on that. :(

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

am still in the clinic, map 3, i've noticed that some guards only seem to move after several hours of play, the dining room had one person eating, then after 2 hours, 2 people eating, after 4 hours, 3 people eating, so for those people who have finished, they must have missed a lot of things, trying to go through clinic and not get spotted, but runes and bone charms seem to be placed where you would be on high chaos and just killing everything you meet to get them. Apparently distracting a guard to die to blood flies does not mean you killed them, killing hounds does not add to your kill total.

Those of you who have a perfect record (all runes, all bonecharms, all paintings), could one of you tell me where in the fourth mission, the Clockwork Mansion, is

the black bonecharm

? Seriously, I've been everywhere on the map. I can see the darn thing through the walls but wherever it is, I can't get to it from the inside or the outside. After searching for it, like, for an hour I gave up and moved to the next mission. I had everything else--except that one damn item! Messed with my perfect record, dammit... *grumbling*

EDIT: Never mind. Saw it in a Youtube playthrough video. Dang, that mansion... *sigh*

Edited by Summer

found a solution to groups looking at each other and not having the domino power.

bottles of chloroform, throw bottle at middle of group and the knockout gas will knockout everyone in range at the same time, then all you have to do is move to bodies to a safe place. make getting rid of certain grouped guards in addermire institute an easy option, and you can still get ghosted score.

the black bonecharm is in

the bosses bedroom, pull lever next to bed, leave bed area before it spins round, go in photography developing room, press button on wall near door in there.

Patch 1.2 is out in beta - http://www.dsogaming.com/news/dishonored-2-performance-patch-1-2-is-now-available-on-steam-in-beta-form/

Dishonored 2 – Update 1.2 Beta Changelog:

PERFORMANCE

• Reduced framerate stuttering
  • Added a customizable FPS limiter to reduce the fluctuation
  • Framerate capped at 120 FPS to prevent physics issues which occur only above 120fps
  • Max pre-rendered frame is now managed by the game
  • Adjusted Texture Details settings so settings make a significant visual and performance change
  • Fixed a bug where AMD GPU experienced huge framerate drops when there is cloth simulation in the environment.
  • Adjusted ocean settings for perf improvement
  • Added frequency in V-sync UI
  • Fixed a bug where VRAM usage was higher than available VRAM
  • Fixed a bug where auto-detected settings were set too high for certain hardware
  • Added HBAO+ support for AMD GPUs
  • Fixed a bug where turning HBAO+ ON created some bad shadowing on player’s hands
  • Removed Environment Details settings as it was strongly tied to View Distance
  • Removed Fog Quality settings as it was not impacting the visuals or providing performance advantages
  • Adjusted auto detected settings for R9 290X2
  • Fixed a bug where Water Quality settings was only impacting ocean, not canals or pools
  • Improved CPU cores utilization on high and low-end machines

MOUSE, GAMEPAD, & CONTROLS

• Fixed a bug where mouse sensitivity was framerate dependent
  • Fixed a bug where the controller vibrates continuously it the player switched from gamepad to mouse and keys while the gamepad was vibrating
  • Fixed a bug where Aim Friction didn’t work with a gamepad
  • Fixed a bug where the gamepad could not be recognized if plugged after the game was ran
  • Fixed a bug where resolution could not be changed with mouse
  • Mouse smoothing setting is now set to minimum by default (setting won’t get overwritten if customized by the player)

ALT+TAB

• Fixed a bug where using ALT + TAB could result in endless switch between the game and other programs
  • The player can no longer bring up the Pause menu when using ALT + TAB while dying
  • Fixed a bug where the bug kept on registering mouse movements while in background after the player used ALT + TAB to switch to another program

CRASH FIXES

• Fixed a bug where the game could crash if the player decided to leave the Clockwork Mansion while Clockwork Soldiers were beheaded
  • Fixed a bug where the game crashes if the player attempted to go into visual settings menu after disconnecting a monitor in game
  • Fixed a crash when selecting a video card without attached monitor to it
  • Fixed a bug where game could freeze in “Another Strange Visit” when opening the weapon wheel with Middle Click button and then scrolled if the player used gamepad before

MENU & OPTIONS

• Fixed a bug where the collar of the player was visible while using Shadow Walk assassination in large FOV
  • Fixed a bug where the game could stretch the resolution to fit screen while using a non-native resolution and switching from Borderless Windowed Mode to Windowed Mode
  • Fixed a bug where the menu was not filling the whole screen in some resolutions
  • Fixed a bug where Mouse Smoothing setting was sometimes not properly displayed even though it was properly saved
  • Fixed a bug where ‘Unassigned’ text for unassigned buttons overlaps nearby text with Keyboard and Mouse controls
  • Fixed a bug where the player was unable to switch to Full Screen or Windowed Mode after he switched to Borderless Windowed Mode
  • Added a Framerate Limiter so the player can limit framerate fluctuation when playing without V-sync
  • Added TXAA sharpness setting
  • Changed the Aim Assist settings to be more clear
  • Added Triple Buffering option
  • Added more choices to V-Sync settings
  • Monitor/Resolution
  • Fixed a bug where restoring default settings activated the second monitor as the default monitor
  • Fixed a bug where the game switched to Borderless Windowed when the player changed resolution while in windowed mode
  • Fixed a bug where the game was displaying a black screen if the resolution was set to 1786 x 992 in full screen
  • Fixed a bug where expiration of change monitor confirmation dialogue while game is minimized can cause display to stop functioning
  • Fixed a bug where Resolution Scaling was deactivated when the game ran above 30 FPS
  • Changed the Resolution Scaling settings for a better understanding
  • Added resolution ratio to the Resolution drop list
  • Fixed a bug where resolution scaling setting was not saved when quitting the options menu
  • Fixed a bug where the current game resolution was applied to the monitor when switching monitor even if this resolution was not supported

UI

• Fixed a bug where mouse Wheel pop up will highlight as selected incorrect slot after holding key corresponding to an empty slot
  • Fixed a bug where initiating Black Market shop with keyboard displays gamepad prompts on menu until additional keyboard or mouse input
  • Blink, Far reach and The Heart are now automatically binded to shortcuts after being acquired
  • Fixed a bug where the Gun shortcut was not automatically assigned if bullets were picked up before the gun
  • Fixed a bug where “<” key appeared as “Unassigned” in game when bound to any action

MISC

• Fixed a bug where sabotaging the Oraculum device would count as 2 kills and prevent getting the “Clean Hands” achievement

• 2 weeks later...

Another patch is out, 1.03 -

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/dishonored-2-beta-patch-1-03-now-available-packs-general-performance-optimization-improvements/#more-93536

In order to get access to this beta patch, you’ll have to follow this guide.

• Right Click on Dishonored 2 in your Library.
  • Select Properties.
  • Select Betas.
  • A drop down menu will appear. Select BetaPatch.
  • Select CLOSE.
  • Wait a few minutes for game to update.
  • When done, Dishonored 2 [betaPatch] should appear in your Library.

Here is the complete changelog for Dishonored 2’s beta patch 1.03.

Options

• Added a setting to turn OFF Camera Motion Blur
  • Fixed a bug which caused some textures to be missing when Texture Quality was set above Medium for some GPUs
  • Fixed a bug where the game sometimes launched in the previously saved resolution in the top left corner of the screen
  • Fixed a bug where “Adaptive Resolution” was incorrectly set to “Manual”
  • Fixed a bug where changing the Screen Resolution, Monitor, Windowed Mode or Triple Buffering did not properly revert after selecting “No”
  • Fixed a bug where the player was incorrectly asked to confirm changes when no changes were made
  • Fixed a bug where V-Sync settings did not match the monitor refresh rate when higher than 60hz
  • Fixed a bug where pressing “No” in the confirmation prompt when changing Triple Buffering setting sometimes made the prompt appear again

Display / Monitor

• Fixed a bug with multiple monitors which caused the game to not display on the primary monitor by default
  • Fixed a bug which caused some UI elements to be misplaced when using 5:4 or 4:3 aspect ratios
  • Fixed a bug which caused the game window to appear off screen when resolution was set below the native resolution for 1440P and 2160P monitors.
  • Fixed a bug which caused incorrect Resolution Scale FPS Target when changing V-Sync mode
  • Set default value for Resolution Scaling Quality to “Quality”

Rendering / Performance

• Fixed a rendering bug affecting the lighting on some NPCs which sometimes caused a red glow
  • FPS limiter set to 60 FPS by default
  • Adjusted Shadow Quality settings – “High” setting and below have a more significant visual and performance adjustment
  • Reduced performance impact of transparent surfaces & VFX

Mouse

• Fixed a bug impacting mouse movement speed

Yes, the "Shroud" for Dishonored 2 is very annoying, and very Thief4like. I just played Dishonored 1, and it wasn't anywhere near what it is in the 2nd game. What is the logic behind darkening the screen when you're crouched? Makes no sense.

Edited by brethren

In the first game, if you don't have the "stance indicator" turned on in the HUD, it's hard to tell if you're standing or crouched if you don't have a weapon out (and you usually don't want a weapon out, since you move faster with your weapons sheathed). The "shroud" in the sequel fixes this, and lets you play with a more minimal HUD.

Edited by Cynical

I won't hold my breath waiting for that one

Have completed on hardest getting all paintings and souvenirs in low chaos

Also completed as Emily and Corvo

I am now part way through a no powers play through - it is a bit silly in that the runes are still there - Clockwork Mansion was interesting in that I found an easier way through

by knocking the head off the clockwork soldier at the start - unfortunately I didn't kill him and when I returned to the entrance I found it had killed a guard thereby wrecking my no kill objective

Edited by Oldjim
  • Like 1

I won't hold my breath waiting for that one

Have completed on hardest getting all paintings and souvenirs in low chaos

Also completed as Emily and Corvo

I am now part way through a no powers play through - it is a bit silly in that the runes are still there - Clockwork Mansion was interesting in that I found an easier way through

by knocking the head off the clockwork soldier at the start - unfortunately I didn't kill him and when I returned to the entrance I found it had killed a guard thereby wrecking my no kill objective

Do clockworks even count as a kill? I'm pretty sure they don't since they're machine right?

In the first game, if you don't have the "stance indicator" turned on in the HUD, it's hard to tell if you're standing or crouched if you don't have a weapon out (and you usually don't want a weapon out, since you move faster with your weapons sheathed). The "shroud" in the sequel fixes this, and lets you play with a more minimal HUD.

I didn't think the shroud was that bad honestly. Just some slight darkening was an easy way to tell if I was crouched for long periods of time.

Edited by Epifire

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

One thing I'm really enjoying is the merciful assault play style. Right now I'm not stressing a clean hands run of the game but I just want to see the low chaos play with Corvo. So if someone is legit bad, they get ended (like a target that's pure evil or something) but I don't make a habit of killing lowly normal guardsman.

It's pretty heroic to be honest. You're not a shadow by this method but your kicking people around brawling style and making it out of fights like a mad man.

For this style I utilize the following...

-Tossed objects (chloroform, empty bottles to redirect the chaos).

-Agility fully upgraded. This is a must since I stealth my way up to the action and then get ready to hammer it out after that,

-Windblast (half upgraded), as it's still non-lethal in most applications and it's a great escape tool.

-Blink fully upgraded. Making note to only blink-kick someone that's already aware (otherwise it counts as an assassination).

-Freeze Time. It's a nice escape tool but is also a fun way to make idiots out of the local guardsman as well as save you in a pinch.

That's pretty much my go to list up front. Otherwise I generally don't even use the other powers for my current play through (and no cheatsy dark visions!).

EDIT:

I also found out recently that killing Paolo didn't actually count as a kill for some reason? I went in, choked out some of his buddies to take a quick nap and then hashed it out. Oddly enough the endgame screen said I killed him as one of the special actions but it still said I played a merciful mission.

Edited by Epifire

Regarding Paolo -

I assume that you are referring to the first time you meet him in the Black Market Shop as although you can kill him or indeed knock him out both of which count as a kill in the special actions he resurrects again as the only way to kill him permanently is to kill him twice in 24 hours and that happens in the Dust District

Regarding Paolo -

I assume that you are referring to the first time you meet him in the Black Market Shop as although you can kill him or indeed knock him out both of which count as a kill in the special actions he resurrects again as the only way to kill him permanently is to kill him twice in 24 hours and that happens in the Dust District

Actually it was the second encounter in the Dust District which is why I found it so odd. Somehow it must have glitched and not counted him as a kill (something to do with the twice killed method?).

Edited by Epifire

• 3 weeks later...

New Game Plus now available but not custom difficulty (that arrives January apparently) so I can't see the point as it was already relatively easy on the hardest setting and ghost and the new combined powers will make it a doddle

Do you really think it's that easy? I'm playing on Hard and doing a No Kill/No Powers run, and I'm getting my ass handed to me a lot. Guards seem to see me from 200 yards away, barely poking my head out from behind a blockade. I'm sure I've set some kind of personal record on reloads.

Great game though overall. This is the closest I've felt to playing like Thief/TDM in a long long time.