The Dark Mod Forums

Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Diego

Watch this if you haven't already and try to spot the problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsDX_LiJT7E

Let us recapitulate a bit of history, shall we? Thief: The Dark Project was released in 1998 and was regarded as an amazing new take on stealth, very promising, lots of potential, but flawed. The campaign would shift its stealth focus throughout the campaign and that wasn't much fun. So they made Thief 2: The Metal Age, where they learned from their experience, T2 was a hardcore stealth experience from beginning to end and it became the pinnacle of the franchise to this day.

Mirror`s Edge came out and it was regarded as an original, very promising game, lots of potential, but flawed. Combat seems misplaced and breaks the flow was the general criticism. So they made Mirror`s Edge 2 (catalyst) and put an emphasis on combat. Let me repeat that. THEY EMPHASIZED COMBAT.

I can't, I just can't handle. The retardation is too strong for me.

• Like 2

I dunno, man. It's different, but not actually a bad thing. If it's done well, I'm super up for a parkour 'em up. I really don't mind change. I know I'm supposed to knee-jerk when the sequel isn't the same as the previous game, but some Faithy cop-kicking could be fun as hell.

So when I played Mirror's Edge, what I really really wanted was some sneaking and stealth mechanics to give me another way of avoiding the combat ~ some basic leaning around corners and line of sight stuff would have been nice. Turning Mirror's Edge into a brawler, if that's the way it's going, doesn't really appeal. So yeah, I'm a bit sad and not much interested if that's the direction.

It could be fun, of course. We could also make a super fun first person shooter with the Thief franchise. But hey, as long as it's fun, right?

I shouldn't be surprised, really. That's what they do. They follow trends and numbers. These are not game designers, these are managers of companies. Right now, Batman is all the rage so everyone wants to make their own Batman. Even Thief 4 tried to be Batman, he actually said "I am the night" at some point. And now Faith will go around flinging herself in an open world city fighting thugs in free flow combat. All she needs is a bat cowl. Could be fun. Who doesn't want more Batman?

I'm not mad as a fan of the franchise who doesn't like change, I'm mad as a wannabe game designer. It pains me that their actions are not guided by artistic thinking but by business. They could be making a Indiana Jones and be remembered forever but instead they chose to make a King Solomon’s Mines. Which was a fun movie and all but, depending on your age, you might have to google that. Do you see my point?

• Like 1

Is this based on concrete information, or speculation? Because a trailer is just a trailer. After all, Thief's trailers feature cold-blooded murder, fencing and fire arrow mayhem.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Well, I guess it's better for you then. I can't be like that, I care about games. To me games are more than a time waster, and it breaks my heart that it's still not taken seriously even by people making it.

Watch this if you haven't already and try to spot the problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsDX_LiJT7E

Let us recapitulate a bit of history, shall we? Thief: The Dark Project was released in 1998 and was regarded as an amazing new take on stealth, very promising, lots of potential, but flawed. The campaign would shift its stealth focus throughout the campaign and that wasn't much fun. So they made Thief 2: The Metal Age, where they learned from their experience, T2 was a hardcore stealth experience from beginning to end and it became the pinnacle of the franchise to this day.

Mirror`s Edge came out and it was regarded as an original, very promising game, lots of potential, but flawed. Combat seems misplaced and breaks the flow was the general criticism. So they made Mirror`s Edge 2 (catalyst) and put an emphasis on combat. Let me repeat that. THEY EMPHASIZED COMBAT.

I can't, I just can't handle. The retardation is too strong for me.

Combat was fine, even enjoyable for some of us, the gunplay however was shit, and they've taken it out from what I've heard.

I'm really looking forward to this game and will be preordering.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Mirror's Edge is a *movement* game. If the combat is fluid and meshes well with the freerunning, I see no reason for it not be a part of the game. It'll just be more options for getting around.

I'm not so fond of the skill tree rumour I heard earlier. Just make the actual levels harder instead of not allowing me to wallrun or whatever.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

If they just got rid of the gunplay it would be an evolution already. And if the combat is seamless with the running they could have something good after all. But this is being overly optimistic.

We won't know until the game actually comes out what it'll be like, so let's reserve judgement until then.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

Well, I hope at least the story will be good. Sometimes I can overlook gameplay for story like Vampire The Masquerade Redemption (and the cool music too).

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

We won't know until the game actually comes out what it'll be like, so let's reserve judgement until then.

You're absolutely right. I got carried away, but only because my long time predictions are being confirmed. From the open world, to combat emphasis and even the e3 trailer.

Well, I guess it's better for you then. I can't be like that, I care about games.

What, and I don't? I just don't see why shifting franchise focus always has people raging and saying they saw it coming. For all I care, The Metal Age could have been about difficult, fluid swordplay and had romance options. So long as it was good, I wouldn't care. I feel like people can't see the wood for the trees when they're going "well yeah it might be fun but it's not [franchise] anymore." Why does that matter? The whole reason you like the make-up of the existing games is because they were fun, what's the big deal if it swaps focus and remains just as fun but for different reasons? Mirror's Edge must always be about a pacifist free-running and avoiding scuffles? Like forever?

• Like 1

When I implied you don't care I was assuming you read everything I wrote, in which I made lots of assumptions and analogies concluding it will likely be a mediocre ripoff of whatever's trending. Well, I said more than that but you can read it yourself if you feel like it.

I mean I didn't really comment on anything else because I didn't want to be mean. Literally all you said was that LGS focused on the stealth aspect of T1 and made a game exclusively about that in the form of TMA. You liked that direction. Then because DICE took Mirror's Edge towards a direction in their first game, one that you don't like, they're all retards trying to attract the Arkham crowd.

rashida-jones-the-office-shrug-gif.gif

That's not what I said. Not what I meant anyway. Maybe I didn't express myself properly (I do that often, I'm afraid) so I'll try to summarize it. It's not a matter of liking what it was and not liking the direction, it's not about taste at all. My problem is that when you have an original idea but slightly under cooked, it's a shame to throw it away in the name of business instead of working to bring it to its full potential. That is my whole argument and source of indignation. That's why I said I'm not mad because I'm a fan of the first and I don't like changes, but because I'm a wannabe game designer. As a game designer I really want them to finish developing the unique idea they had. I don't care what they do next, just finish the original vision first. Sure, you can argue that originality is irrelevant and I assumed that was your position, that's why I implied you didn't care about games.

Thief was an example of a game I liked but it's not because I like it that I used it. So I'll use another example, this time using a game I didn't care and still don't: Assassins creed. Same deal, interesting original idea slightly under cooked. They took that and made ac2, which rounded off and it defined a new genre. So they could do the same thing with ME but (warning: paranoid assumption ahead) but they will not do that.

Well, that's the best I can do I guess. Does that make sense?

Edited by Diego

Originality is very much important once things begin to stagnate, but I personally can't name any first-person acrobatic brawlers off the top of my head. This is original, just not the original you had in mind. I totally get that you're disappointed it's not more of ME, because ME was great, but that's still no reason to assume that a combat focus is them bastardising their own franchise in the name of business. It comes down to preference, but that parkour gameplay is no more challenging or engaging than combat when both are done well. I mean sure, if it becomes this stupid super easy, super dull Arkham Knight deal where you zip around and punch people by just tapping A until they're all unconscious, say it's an uninspired, undercooked game. You can't say that until it's out, though. The jump from "combat focus" to "lazy, watered-down, greed-fuelled casual-fest" is an illogical one.

Originality is very much important once things begin to stagnate, but I personally can't name any first-person acrobatic brawlers off the top of my head. This is original, just not the original you had in mind. I totally get that you're disappointed it's not more of ME, because ME was great, but that's still no reason to assume that a combat focus is them bastardising their own franchise in the name of business. It comes down to preference, but that parkour gameplay is no more challenging or engaging than combat when both are done well. I mean sure, if it becomes this stupid super easy, super dull Arkham Knight deal where you zip around and punch people by just tapping A until they're all unconscious, say it's an uninspired, undercooked game. You can't say that until it's out, though. The jump from "combat focus" to "lazy, watered-down, greed-fuelled casual-fest" is an illogical one.

yep! we're finally understanding each other. But it's not that I want more ME, I want the ME they had in mind in the first place. The first ME was ok at best in my opinion, but I saw something new and interesting buried under what seemed like uncertainties of the developers (kinda like "no one's gonna buy a game about running, throw in some guns in there"). And bare in mind, most of my rant relies on assumptions. They could totally be rounding off what didn't work at the same time expanding on the original idea, I have indeed never heard of a first-person acrobatic brawler. I'm just not that optimistic lol.

Watching the video made me think the combat would be about the same level as the original, sans the gunplay, which is fine with me.

It's unreasonable to expect they could cut confrontation entirely, with public demand, and just because needing to run from *something* that's a real threat is essential to the gameplay.

Also ... I mean the ME1 level where you fight the team of parkour assassins in the obstacle course... you could see that as combat-heavy, but that was one of the better levels for pure parkour and avoidance IMO, when I played it that way, staying light on your feet and skirting around moving targets. If there's still levels like that, it's not so bad I think. The car garage level with all the armed guys sort of sucked, but that was gunplay heavy, which is apparently not the focus here.

And the actual gameplay cuts make it seem like running and parkour are still at the core. It's not like they changed that formula.

So I think it's going to be at least as good as the first.

I imagine it might not have the same magic as the first. The Thief to Thief2 comparison might be accurate.

I'm happy with the aesthetic they have in the video. That city was made for nighttime vistas.

In the long run, I keep coming back to ME1 to do the timed race courses when I have some free moments in a day. So ME2 keeping that will do a lot to put it on my happy list.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Well, I hope at least the story will be good. Sometimes I can overlook gameplay for story like Vampire The Masquerade Redemption (and the cool music too).

I'm the opposite. You muck up gameplay, I'm out. You muck up the story, eh, it happens.

• 1 month later...