The Dark Mod Forums

Deus Ex: Revision

lowenz

Its funny you know...

I installed System Shock 2 (which if you ask me is Deus Ex's counter part from that era (two of the greatest games of all time) with all the mods/packs/updates, etc., on my niece and nephews PC because they recently spent a week over here and I wanted my nephew to play through it and get an understanding for how games "used" to be.

He played it for about a couple hours and throughout said things like, "what do I do?", "how do I do this?", "how do I do that?", "it's too hard"... constantly constantly and I honestly couldn't believe it.

Why didn't you choose Thief? System Shock 2 is a very bad example in my opinion, because a lot of things make no sense at all! Like the constant weapons degradation forcing you to use the wrench for half of the game while at the same time featuring high tech vendor machines on a civilian spaceship that can make ammo. And don't get me talking about the level design which has nothing at all in common in how a spaceship could look. Even worse than the artificial levels of Deus Ex!

Edited by wesp5

So Thief with all its magic stuff, the level of technology in a middle age world, and the protagonist having a mechanic eye, but still using a blackjack, sword or bow makes more sense to you? :D

Yes, because it's fantasy! A game like SS2 should at least stick to some internal logic. This is the same reason why I can accept stuff in SW that I don't accept in ST :)!

How is that different? It's all Science Fiction. :) And especially ST has some really weird fantasy stuff in it, just because it scraps the scientific surface doesn't mean it bows down to any kind of realism. Well i guess it's a matter of taste. Games or films doesn't have to be 100 % logic or realistic for me, as long as the story is told well, and it achieves a "in it" feeling.

So Thief with all its magic stuff, the level of technology in a middle age world, and the protagonist having a mechanic eye, but still using a blackjack, sword or bow makes more sense to you? :D

To not overpower all the other taffers :D

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

How is that different? It's all Science Fiction. :) And especially ST has some really weird fantasy stuff in it, just because it scraps the scientific surface doesn't mean it bows down to any kind of realism. Well i guess it's a matter of taste. Games or films doesn't have to be 100 % logic or realistic for me, as long as the story is told well, and it achieves a "in it" feeling.

It's less about realism and more about internal consistency. If you have some rules in your universe, stick to them, dammit!

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

Considering it's Steampunk mixed with the Middle Ages/Dark Ages period - there's less work to do, you have historical real-world examples, history and mythology which you can add at your discretion and combine in the way you want.

To me Science Fiction is often very shallow. Maybe my standards are too high with "Solaris" and "Star Wars" being all over my mind.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Why didn't you choose Thief? System Shock 2 is a very bad example in my opinion, because a lot of things make no sense at all! Like the constant weapons degradation forcing you to use the wrench for half of the game while at the same time featuring high tech vendor machines on a civilian spaceship that can make ammo. And don't get me talking about the level design which has nothing at all in common in how a spaceship could look. Even worse than the artificial levels of Deus Ex!

Aside from the inventory screen not being present in the Thief series, these three games are very similar. Thiefs, Deus Ex, SS2. I can't fault you for preferring Thief because I seriously love it myself. He had just finished up No One Lives Forever 2 and the next CD on the stack was System Shock 2 and he'd asked me about it so ...that's kinda how it happened.

It's less about realism and more about internal consistency. If you have some rules in your universe, stick to them, dammit!

Well said! That's what was much better in Babylon 5 than Star Trek or Star Wars (at least when looking at the prequels). If you show something, use it! Don't push the reset button for the next episode and forget about it or change it in retrospect to fit new stuff...

He had just finished up No One Lives Forever 2 and the next CD on the stack was System Shock 2 and he'd asked me about it so ...that's kinda how it happened.

Oh, so it wasn't intentional, my bad. Still SS2 is a very inconsistent game in my opinion! How did he like NOLF2? Now this and NOLF are games which could easily use a remake. There are much too few good spy FPS around...

• Like 1

Indeed, NOLF 3 would be great. :) Shame that it doesn't seem like it was a big success, at least part 2. But then with more stealth options, and a bit more modern gameplay. But no action watered crap like the Splinter Cell series is now... a bit more dedication to the stealth nature of the game would be very welcomed. Thought NOLF of course always was a bit more on the action side than Splinter Cell.

Btw, talking about stealth games, i'm sure most of you are aware, but Return to Castle Wolfenstein is a blast if you play it in stealth mode (which surprisingly you can do in most, or all levels). So much better not to alert half the level when you shoot around with non silenced weapons. Was really nice to play, even after all these years, it's just so damn short. :mellow:

Edited by chakkman

• 1 month later...

I already beta tested some parts of the modified areas and it's pretty amazing! :P I'm glad to see other revision fans here too. I've collaborated with the mod creators for some years now. They are the nicest and more patient people in the modding community. I've made a few of those neon signs for Revision as well as the NY City background for New Vision.

I think Thief could really benefit from a Revision project even more now that there is an HD Mod released. Some maps are just plain awful in thief.

Edited by Taquito
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Abso frelling beautiful

The age still shows, but the difference is easily noticed.

That will be the time to replay it - AGAIN.
The story and athmosphere of Deus Ex was, and still is, one of the best in a game. Since your decisions had impact, influenced what happened later in some ways, and you really had so many approaches - and if it was difficult, it was up to you to make it still work.
Lethal - Non lethal - nearly entire pacifistic - it was your decision.
And, really missed in many games: The realistic mode. One shot to the head, your (normal) enemies are dead. And you too. That really gets you thinking. But if you are good, you still can go in guns blazing.
Don't want to fight a "boss"? Run away. Do your objective regardless.
i have played that game so much that I can still say the intro, with few mistakes.
Thanks for the hint, I am looking forward to another playthrough.

I will stop holding my breath for now, there seem to be a lot of problems. One of the devs has posted in the comments section on moddb that there is "a lot of logistic problems", and that there have to be a lot of things to be taken care of before releasing DX Revision. Looks like there has been a leak too, and that their has been quite a discussion about it, and now some people blame the guy who posted there. Well, it probably was a mistake to announce that they're almost done and "ready to release". Guess it'll be another year or so until they really release it... will probably rather play Mankind Divided then.

Whoa! I had no idea a scandal was brewing in Moddb. I suggested many times to Bjorn to release the mod at the end of the year to capitalize in MOTY since the owners of the site love anything Revision. I though that was the plan. But that was before they contacted Square Enix. I also had no idea they were pushing for a Steam release. It seems that's the uproar about. I wouldn't be surprised if SE is behind this. I remember that mod that came out of nowhere from an unknown modder just before HR came out. And he disappeared just as fast as he appeared. They might be using Revision to promote old fans for the new DX Release.

Then I wouldn't doubt some people in Square Enix might also be giving Trasher a hand with some of the maps.

Edited by Taquito
  • Like 1