The Dark Mod Forums

Darkmod Euro meet: testing the water

Bikerdude

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the Rhine-area near Koblenz/Bonn, and if the meeting is past the 10.9., I might join up - or even do some organisational stuff. Bevor that I'm unfortunately away traveling. Now I wish I had logged onto the forum a bit earler :)

The Middle-rhine area is shock full of old towns and villages, the churches here are usually from 12xx or something, and there are a lot of really really cool locations, all about 50km from here. Airport Bonn/Cologne should bring the travelers from UK close enough, and there is also a good train service.

It might be bit far from people from Chech, tho.

Here is a bit of info in English:

http://www.romantic-germany.info/Romantic-Rhine.4110.0.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Rhine

As for drinking, aside from famous German beer, there is a lot of good quality wine produce in the area, especially in the Ahrtal and Mosel.

I could offer accomodation for 2 or 3 people and there are also a lot (and I mean a lot) of cheap hostels and Bed & Breakfast locations in the area - the entire area is one gigantic tourist location :)

Edited by Tels

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I can also recomment this traveling route we can take on foot which includes many old towns and even three castles (some with museum included). The route is about 15 km on foot. I didn't visit the castles there yet, so I'm a bit curious I must say :D

http://www.drei-gleichen.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Faltblatt_Burgenroute_fertig_kl.pdf

Edited by SeriousToni

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I can also recomment this traveling route we can take on foot which includes many old towns and even three castles (some with museum included). The route is about 15 km on foot. I didn't visit the castles there yet, so I'm a bit curious I must say :D

http://www.drei-gleichen.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Faltblatt_Burgenroute_fertig_kl.pdf

I think, this would be a good location. It is quite central in Germany and Erfurt should be accessible enough for all, who want to join (although I have not checked, so correct me if I am wrong).

Well, Germany you have to wait several weeks for your passport to be ready. But you can get a temporary passport, that you get pretty quick.

Doing a quick google search for "how long does it take to apply for a new passport in the UK" says 3 weeks. I don't want to commit to anything until I actually have my passport. Saying that at the same time I don't expect anyone to put their plans on hold for me. So if you guys want to go ahead and organise something before I get my passport I won't be upset.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Erfurt might be a tad to far for me if it's end of september, but we have to wait and see. I'll likely be without internet the next three weeks, btw, so I probably can't reply until then.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

I'll try to reach someone from the tourism agency and ask how english friendly the museums are. Otherwise we'd have to translate for you guys by voice :D

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I know very basic German from my last visit. I think if you visit a country with a different language it's polite to learn how to say things like please, thank you, good morning, good night and most importantly how to order a pint of beer :D

Ein bier bitte!

Plus I get to eat currywurst again. Bloody Yum!

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

I know very basic German from my last visit. I think if you visit a country with a different language it's polite to learn how to say things like please, thank you, good morning, good night and most importantly how to order a pint of beer :D

Ein bier bitte!

Ordering beer is all you need in any language, no?

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

Ein bier bitte!

I agree: It is only polite to learn the most basic phrases for a country you want to visit. Don't forget the "I do not speak the leanguage".

I very much hope that they drink pints in Thuringia. In Germany the beer is served in four sizes: 1 litre ("Maß", mostly common in Bavaria), half a litre (also more common in southern Germany), 0.33 litre (sadly more and more common for various parts) and 0.2 litre (very common in Cologne as "Kölsch").

I very much hope that they drink pints in Thuringia.

Mostly 0,5 or 0,4 litres per beer. Sometimes you can order 0,33 too, but who does this ever really?

Mostly 0,5 or 0,4 litres per beer. Sometimes you can order 0,33 too, but who does this ever really?

Only every sane person??? :D Beer tastes best right out of the tap. So why spend half an hour (or longer) drinking 1L of beer that slowly turns flat, when you could drink the same amount split in multiple glasses fresh out of the tap? ;-) Damn Ruhrpott*-reasoning, am I right? ;-)

*Ruhrpott is an area in middle-germany near cologne. It is VERY industrial, but almost no historic buildings.

Wouldn't it be better to concentrate on getting the date and place and get there, and then worry how we order the beer? :P