The Dark Mod Forums

Gast eerie lullabie(s)

Gast

Du Marteau's tracks are pretty good. Are some bits very reminiscent of the Thief sounds or is it a standard thing in dark ambient? I'm pretty new to the genre.

Your tracks and Marteau's tracks have a chilling style that's different from many of the tracks in TDM as I see them. I'm very glad to see more in this style.

• Like 1

The sounds in T1/T2 are layered in a way you don't hear as much in TDM. From Thief 2 Mission 1:

Wind and crickets (NIGHTLP2?) noise outside.
First floor, mechanical "HUM.wav" noise
Second floor, "m01drone.wav" humming noise starts looping throughout.
Move to the hallways, "s01mel1.wav" and "s01mel2.wav" play.
Move to the third floor, "m01toneX.wav" (1-8?) plays instead of "s01mel1" and "s01mel2".

I almost feel like I just rushed through the level just by listening to these !
Sound design and musical themes - I agree it's a bit adventurous to call them like that - seem to be more closely linked in the Thief games than in TDM. The crickets are clearly sound design while the other tracks like "m01drone" are a bit more "musical". It would be very interesting to work in that way, with very short, very zoned intricate sounds...This method could be of use in closed environments while a more musical approach would work perfectly on an open-air level like in T2's "shipping..." or like in the T3 hub.

I'm not saying that it would be the best thing for TDM but it's worth trying.

• Like 2

All I can say is wow. I'm creeped out like sneaking through a haunted attic with dark shadows broken by silver moon light cascading through a broken half open windows as I approch the only lite candle in the room.

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

• 2 months later...

Any progress?

I'd really love to help but not sure if I can pull it off, though ambients are a favourite even outside Thief or The Dark Mod.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 2 weeks later...

@Gast, this is very good and well suited to the current Haloween contest. I see the 5min track appears to be mad eup of 3 diffeent tracks, you might want to supply this seperately so mappers can pick and choose to mix themselves. And if you do that I would hummbly ask if you could make them all looping that would be very usefull.

For somereason Soundcloud isnt showing, me the whole track but will play all of it.

@Bikerdude, thank you a lot. All the sounds are already looping, I just need to write the soundshaders. I wanted to get as much tracks as possible before releasing them but if it can be of use right now I'll pack this up quickly. Soundcloud was a bit buggy when I tried to play the tune earlier but it seems all fine now.

• Like 1

Hello there, here's a preview of the recent additions to my little sound collection.

https://soundcloud.com/gaaast/gast_tdm_preview_2

Me likes! Very uneasy feeling stuff.

It reminds me somehow those gritty dark ambients from Black Mesa and the original half-life. Very suitable for halloween: too bad I released my work already ;)

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Thanks Stoha !

And here's the little collection, 22 tracks.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/f9cklqprera8a9d/Gast_ambients_1.zip

Work that I just started enjoying, awesome atmosphere as always.

Congratulations friend!

streets_C is a brilliant one, my favourite. Wonderful!

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

• 4 weeks later...

I did something really weird, I think I'm onto something though but it's still a very rough loop with lots of side noises I didn't manage to remove (but I made them less loud).

It's conceived to be a cello in a kind of a large hall.

https://soundcloud.com/andrew-turcan/dreamland-wip-1

Edited by Anderson

badge?user=andarson

Aaaand you turned my Burzum mood on. Nice track. It would be perfect if the notes were longer and the melody clearer, giving it an even more epic tone. What plugins did you use?
Will you make it seamless? If you want to do so, here's the tut I followed (I might have already posted that one).

Edited by Gast
  • Like 2

Aaaand you turned my Burzum mood on. Nice track. It would be perfect if the notes were longer and the melody clearer, giving it an even more epic tone. What plugins did you use?

Will you make it seamless? If you want to do so, here's the tut I followed (I might have already posted that one).

Thanks for the encouragement.

Yeah, I did this in like 1 or 2 hours. I had no time at all but I thought that maybe it would be worth it.

This needs much more time investment to make it better into something not-amateur. I realize that additional editing will make it better.

I used only basic features of Audacity. Obviously this will not be enough. Time will tell if I can handle a proper well-paced and quality sound file.

badge?user=andarson