The Dark Mod Forums

Best of FPS list on RPS

Deadlove

Pretty accurate if you ask me.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/05/13/best-fps/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rockpapershotgun%2Fsteam+%28Rock%2C+Paper%2C+Shotgun%3A+Steam+RSS%29

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/05/13/best-fps/7/

Very good points on BS2, QUAKE, RAGE not being finished, Half Life, Thief, SS2, etc. Basically I agree so it's 100% accurate and gospel.

• Like 1

The list is missing Duke Nukem 3D, Blood (and indeed the entire Build engine family, seemingly for political reasons) and the original Unreal. It is not a good list.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

It's a pretty good list, and nice to see Thief 2 up top (would be 1st for me). Of course my personal list would be much different, but I only have one real gripe: CS:GO should be substituted with CS 1.6 (or let's say "Goldsrc CS").

Edited by woah

From the site:

Postscript

“Deus Ex should be number 1.” You’re probably right, but you’re also wrong.
“What about System Shock 2?” I think ‘FPS’ sorely undersells it, don’t you? Also, rubbish shooting. We’ll hear more about it elsewhere on the site soon, I’m sure.
“What about Duke Nukem 3D?” The first level’s incredible, the rest is not and it’s sure as hell not as funny as it was in the 90s.
“What about (this mod)?” I really do think mods deserve their own list at some point (Action Quake 2 made it in here because I feared for my life). Watch this space, probably.
“What about Mechwarrior?” I very nearly stuck one in, but ultimately they lean too far into simulation – specifically, how you move.
“What about Portal?” Yeah, tough one. I mean, you do have a gun at all times, it is your primary means of interaction, and you even get to ‘kill’ some robots with it. But I decided it was a puzzle game more than anything else. Maybe the best puzzle game.
“What about SHOGO?” It’s number 51.
“What about Blood?” It’s number 51.
“What about Return To Castle Wolfenstein?” It’s number 51.
“What about Wolfenstein 3D?” It’s number 51.
“What about Kingpin?” It’s number 51.
“What about all the other Call of Duties?” They’re number 501.
“What about GTA V now it’s got a first-person mode?” That’s a very good point. Er, 51?
“What about Republic Commando?” I’m ashamed to say I actually did forget that one when compiling this monster, but the feature was already complete by the time it burst back into my mind. I hate myself. For the record, Star Wars: Republic Commando is at position 17.5, but I’ve decided to include it here because it’s entirely logical to do so. Yes. Also here’s why it’s a great Star Wars shooter.
“What about Daikatana?” Yes, yes, very funny.

“What about Duke Nukem 3D?” The first level’s incredible, the rest is not and it’s sure as hell not as funny as it was in the 90s.

“What about Blood?” It’s number 51.

“What about Wolfenstein 3D?” It’s number 51.

That's exactly where they are dead wrong. Duke Nukem 3D and especially Blood are games with some of the best level design in gaming history; the sheer interactivity and destructibility of the environment remains unparallelled to our time. You blow up skyscrapers, travel through an active earthquake, go around a metro car in the subway, or enter rooms which transform themselves into completely different rooms. You scale immense heights, you swim underwater and can find several secrets in large maps full of hidden and less hidden surprises. They also have a great variety of weapons (including crazy ideas like D3D's shrinking ray or Blood's flare gun), inventive items which have never been replicated (the holoduke and the jetpack!), excellent multiplayer and iconic enemies. They support numerous expansion packs and active modscenes. These are some of the best FPS games ever created. I think it is sad that they were most likely left off the list because of the authors' politics.

Wolf 3D is another conspicuous omission. It is not just a historical game, it is a game that's a lot better than many entries on the list. Same with Unreal.

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I'm not saying it's perfect list but good read it gives games like RAGE credit. Maybe others who played RAGE knows that the there was only 2/3 of the game that was gold. The last third was never fully realized and incorporated into the game and the plot never resolved or twisted because product had to ship and massive parts of the end developers dropped and were unable to make the end product. If people follow the Carmack / idTech engine styles, RAGE is the most beautifully rendered of all of them. id's next gen engines were always just the steroids version of the previous engine. RAGE being no exception but also making it the most glorious of the only game studio to actually have Lovecraft-esque monsters / demons in them. It also stands on its own as an (future) school western shooter. No one except LucasArts had a cowboy shooter I forget what it was called. Even though in a similar setting, Borderlands is not true gunplay, neither is Fallout, they are not true shooters. Sorry for having my panties in a twist about it.

I mean it's sad what id has become. I think DOOM (?) / DOOM4 will be an abomination. It looks like the Bethesda took the dick from Brutal Doom underground and is gonna stick it in the ass of the mainstream with some glossy fast paced bullshit that mimics the style of old DOOM with full on restrictions of modern gunplay and linear level design.

HOWEVER, the level editor that is advertised to be attached to it seems very easy to use and it looks like A TON of fun to use. RAGE should have shipped with a toolkit.

I'm also not disagreeing. D3D, BLOOD, SHADOW WARRIOR, UNREAL series all great games.

Shame BLOOD 2 was so bad (unfinished but released). :-(

I even think DAIKATANA is enjoyable once it was properly patched. :-D

Also, massive shame to what happened to PREY 2 from Human Head. Total bummer.

• 2 weeks later...

HOWEVER, the level editor that is advertised to be attached to it seems very easy to use and it looks like A TON of fun to use. RAGE should have shipped with a toolkit.

Yep... Thats DOOM...to bright to me...but they still give us an editor.....we can count from one fingers hand what companies do that nowadays.

Edited by Capela

Maybe others who played RAGE knows that the there was only 2/3 of the game that was gold. The last third was never fully realized and incorporated into the game and the plot never resolved or twisted because product had to ship and massive parts of the end developers dropped and were unable to make the end product. If people follow the Carmack / idTech engine styles, RAGE is the most beautifully rendered of all of them. id's next gen engines were always just the steroids version of the previous engine. RAGE being no exception but also making it the most glorious of the only game studio to actually have Lovecraft-esque monsters / demons in them. It also stands on its own as an (future) school western shooter. No one except LucasArts had a cowboy shooter...

You mean Outlaws, which was a great game at the time! Just recently Call of Juarez: Gunslinger was released which is another great western shooter with a humoric twist, but I agree with everything you said about RAGE. From a gameplay and grapical point of view this is the best game that id ever created: a rich world, cool characters, frantic shooting sections and even some cool driving! I didn't know it was released unfinished, I always thought there was a sequel to come that got lost when Bethesda restructured id and Carmack left. As for the new Doom, it looks like the fast Quake 3 gameplay in a Doom 3 setting to me. I expect no story or atmosphere like RAGE from it, just pure shooting madness...

Edited by wesp5