The Dark Mod Forums

A patch to allow alt-tabbing under Linux

NagaHuntress

I've created a patch to fix the problem where it was impossible alt-tab (or use any other window manager key combos) to switch away from TDM. This patch works for both windowed and full screen modes.

tdm-linux-window-manager-key-fix.txt

Changes:
- It will no longer grab exclusive input of the keyboard by default. This allows the window manager to process the keyboard input and do things like alt-tabbing. To get the old behaviour set 'in_grabkeyboard' to 1 (Exception: Full screen console will now ungrab, previously only windowed console would ungrab.).
- In order to get the above behaviour to work in full screen mode, full screen mode initialisation has been modified so that it asks the window manager to handle the window as a full screen window. To get the old behaviour set 'v_nowmfullscreen' to 1 (this will force it to grab the keyboard input too, regardless of 'in_grabkeyboard' or other conditions).

I've only tested it on Linux Mint 17.2, 64 bit.

• Like 3

Thanks for the patch! This would be something useful we could do for Windows users too.

Please open a bugtracker and attach the patch. Do we have any other Linux users building their own TDM right now who can confirm the fix? You can assign the tracker to me in the meantime. If no-one steps forward to build and test it immediately, we can still include it for testing in the next packaged version, which covers both platforms.

• 2 weeks later...

After some test, I've found that the games doesn't let go of the mouse when it loses focus due to alt tabbing, however, switching workspaces via the keyboard does work to force it to let go. It needs to be modified further so that it will let go of the mouse when it loses focus.

I've also tested it on Ubuntu 12.04 and it performs the same.

Ok, shall I hold off on committing your patch until you say?

The only reason I didn't commit it right away is I couldn't test it myself. I was looking for another Linux user who builds their own to test it. But I haven't found a volunteer so we‘ll test it with the rest of 2.04, which will remove the "build it yourself" requirement.

Even with the bug I've mentioned, I find being to alt-tab out of game immensely useful. So, in that respect I'm for putting the patch in as is, but I can certainly understand on holding off until it's of better quality.

Regardlees, I'll try and work on a better version of this patch as time permits.

Okay, I've added 'in_grabmouse' to make the mouse grab behaviour like that of the keyboard's. This will fix the bug where it won't let go of the mouse on loss of focus.

It's not the proper fix where it grabs and ungrabs based on focus being gained and lost respectively, but it should work well enough for now. It might have problems if the mouse moves fast enough to escape the window before it moves the cursor back to center.

The diff is up on the bug tracker. #4190

Thanks very much. To be clear, I was only waiting for the nod from you to say you'd done working on it for now.

The small chance of a bug in the circs you describe is much less impact than the current situation, that locks the mouse to the game all the time.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, I've added 'in_grabmouse' to make the mouse grab behaviour like that of the keyboard's. This will fix the bug where it won't let go of the mouse on loss of focus.

It's not the proper fix where it grabs and ungrabs based on focus being gained and lost respectively, but it should work well enough for now. It might have problems if the mouse moves fast enough to escape the window before it moves the cursor back to center.

The diff is up on the bug tracker. #4190

If you're on Windows, bringing down the console (CTRL+ALT+~) will allow the mouse to function as normal in Windows.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

• 9 months later...