The Dark Mod Forums

Windows 10 support thread:

Bikerdude

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and most importantly, did you read Microsoft's terms of usage or the "pviracy statement"? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-privacy-statement

It's simply unbelievable how much crap Microsoft has to take from people on the net who try to force their minority opinion to the majority of users, keep that in mind too. Has more to do with politics than anything else.

Yeah, you "agreed" to it... so... yeah they can do whatever they want. I don't know if Demagogue has looked at that EULA but I would be curious the opinion of an actual lawyer on that piece of writing. The language is exTREMely open ended/un-specific and I understand that a certain amount of that is for, "Cover Thy Ass" insurance, against numb-nut idiots and people trying to exploit the OS. The issue is, this open ended language ultimately permits, whatever they want, while we KNOW they are bringing targetted advertising in to the OS. Its like a one-two punch to the gut of the consumer (with their hands tied behind their back).

I personally don't think MS is up to anything malicious (particularly) and isn't out to get you or any bullshit like that. I just think they're trying to unify a system that doesn't want or need or can be unified.

Phones/tablets/portable touch devices/smart home appliances/console game devices/ etc. I think can all be grouped in to one ecosystem but PCs are not and have never been one of those devices and should not ever become one. PCs used to be about what a USER wanted to do, what ever it is. If they want to do this, they can do this. If they want to do that, they can do that and more importantly if they DON'T want their PC to do something, that PC follows their orders. They're the USER. Software and Hardware are made for them to use to do the things they want to do.

Losing site of the USER and worse, using the User to pull ad revenue, in a place that has always classically been the User's domain, the PC, is just.... really really sad. The fact that MS has gone this direction, for me at least, speaks to the lack of direction, originality, and creativeness, in their company.

I personally have no issue with anything in Windows 10 save for one thing. If you have the "Pro" version of the OS you should, as a user, be able to disable ANY FUNKING THING YOU WANT. If it breaks the OS, that's because you meant to. You can fix it. If you have stable drivers loaded for playing a game or regression testing, you don't want your OS coming in with a god fist and undoing your work only to have to remove and reinstall what you were using and then blocking temporarily (explicatives!) some update that should never be pushed to the box in the first place. More importantly, you shouldn't EVER have to think about this in the first place! The OS should be transparent and unobtrusive!

From Windows 7, I'm all for regular, Critical updates, being installed automatically no matter what. If there's a problem, you should be able to remove that problem and block future issues.

For drivers though, particularly from a "regular user" who doesn't have any idea what they're even using, or what "right clicking the task bar" even means, auto-updating drivers is the worst idea in the history of man (exaggeration).

"My computer won't come on..." Um... did you try and boot in to safe mode? "What's that?" Um... click. I can picture the support calls now.

I think Windows 10 should install all the latest greatest hardware drivers on initial install and then either should not install another driver ever, OR should give the User a freaking checkbox to say, "NO THANK YOU!! I'M THE USER AND I DON'T LIKE BREAKING MY PC AT REGULAR INTERVALS".

/rant

In summary, Windows 7 is on my Personal Computer. It does what I tell it to. Its not on an appliance, toaster, refrigerator, phone, point-of-sale device, tablet, gps, car computer, or any other touch screen enabled anything.

Windows 10 wants to be but its made for dumb devices and people.

It has nothing to do with a conspiracy.

Edited by Lux

I've gone back to my original OS & I'm not putting Win10, 11 or any later version on any machine until they start treating the user of the machine as the person who owns & controls it, so can anyone recommend a good flavour of *nix that's reasonably secure & easy to use it's been a while since I looked ?

It's my machine, I paid for it, I don't wan't a killswitch, I don't want all this bundled xbox & cortana crap, I want to schedule my updates to a convenient time, preferably after I've done a backup, not when I urgently need to do something and I don't want it phoning home every five minutes with encrypted information thats traceable to my machine but I have no knowledge of the contents of the message.

• 1 month later...

Jesus, instead of learning from their past mistakes they just make old ones worse -

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/38980-microsoft-likely-to-kill-control-panel

Dumbing down the of the CP started with win7, I have always preferred the classic CP of vista/XP.

Did you also adapt Windows 10?

The annoying icon is there every time the computer is booted but I'm in doubt of leaving Windows 7.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• I dont understand, if you mean did i try and fix/hack/tweak Win10 while testing it yes - but was met with limited success.
  • Ive mentioned in this thread how to remove that (KB3035583)

Thanks!

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Does anyone have skipping issues in 10? Doesn't matter if you're in a video game, listening to music, watching YouTube, it just lags.

I've disabled windows defender & cortana as I read that caused problems, I even brought a USB soundcard but still the problem persists. I read somewhere that antivirus can cause it (I use avast) but you can't have a PC without AV so I dunno what to do.

I'm about to switch to back 7 if I can't fix the problem soon because its driving me insane. Which sucka as otherwise I love 10.

Jesus, instead of learning from their past mistakes they just make old ones worse -

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/38980-microsoft-likely-to-kill-control-panel

Dumbing down the of the CP started with win7, I have always preferred the classic CP of vista/XP.

They are 'unifying' Win10 across all their platforms, which means everything matches the least capable device and the more capable general purpose computers are dumbed down to behave like mobile phones.

Cory Doctorow has a good take on this dumbing down, he says it's an attack on general purpose computing, basically even though you bought and paid for it, it's not yours and you have little or no control over how to use it https://boingboing.net/2012/01/10/lockdown.html

• 1 month later...

M$ still touting Win10 but not fixing stuff -

• Microsoft Gives Windows 10 a Major Performance Boost - but dosent explain how/why and when Win7 can boot from cold in 10-15c, an onconfirmed 30% boot reduction aint that impressive.
  • Standby still broken on some machines.
  • USB HID function still broken on some devices.
  • Still spying and still no windows update control.

No way. :P "Broken or crappy video driver", well, it's the NVidia one for Geforce GTX 770, and any other game i played works just fine so... gonna try a couple of other missions. Dunno why TDM as the only game gets worse in performance, all other stuff is actually having more FPS as far as i could see. No Need to reconfigure or anything then? Or maybe something taken over from before the upgrade which could cause that?

Make a profile for Darkmod in your driver settings and set it to Single Display performance, disable power management, and disable Threading Optimizations.

Also, try disabling desktop compositing effects and make sure your darkmod directory is not set to Read Only.

Also, post your Darkmod.cfg

I have Windows 10 and it performs about the same or better than 8.1 (GT 730 1GB).

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Generally, can i delete a config file, and configure TDM new? If then, i'd rather try that than messing with my system which runs every other game well. It's really only TDM, so there's gotta be something about it which causes it.

If nothing helps then i'd do a reinstall too.

Edited by chakkman

Yeah, try deleting your Darkmod.cfg then re-run the tdm_updater to get a new one.

Game profiles in the driver only affect the game you set them for ;)

Yeah, desktop compositing is system wide though.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Just tried a couple of things, deleting the darkmod.cfg, created a driver profile, and modified the settings you mentioned, deactivated write protection for the darkmod folder, (de)activated VSync ingame, nothing really worked... tried other missions too, and found out something even more odd. E.g. in the training mission, when i go to the archery training, when i get outside, i sometimes have 60 fps (limited by VSync), then i reload the game, and i only get like 20 fps, or 30 fps. And often it's stuck on the even figures like 20 or 30 also. Very weird. Guess i'll try to reinstall TDM next.

Stupid question: Do i just have to delete the games folder to uninstall? Can't find info about that in the FAQ or in the Wiki.

Edited by chakkman

You shouldn't need to nuke the whole folder just the darkmod.config file. If your still having gamma based issue then its the driver and/or the game profile or quite likely the OS.

Windows 10 is not stable (despite what M$ or their sycophantic shills are bleating), so many drivers, apps, features are broken that its a joke. And the joke is on the public for beta testing that piece of crap.

I wasn't the guy with the gamma problem, that was the other guy. But true, if the darkmod.cfg is the file responsible for the setting and all that stuff, then probably deleting and reinstalling won't do anything either. Maybe i should give it a try anyway though? I mean, i really don't know what else i could do. Maybe there actually is some file corrupted in the Dark Mod folder.

• 1 month later...

Go install teamviewer and then drop me a Pm with your ID/PW and I will remote in and have a look.

Just saw i never got back to this thread. Thanks for the offer, but as so often with computer problems, it mysteriously solved itself... i guess it was probably a driver update which solved it, i also had some FPS problems in other games, but strangely only right after i started the game, and they went away then. Thankfully i'm able to play the Crucible of Omens mission now, would really have been a shame if i missed that due to some weird problems...

Anyway, happy new year to all, and thanks for all the great missions in this way. :)

• 1 month later...

one thing you should never do is try and fix your network the way microsoft explains you should do it for windows 10, which is to go into the registry and delete winsock and winsock2 keys in the registry, then re-install the network protocols from the hidden windows 10 backup install on your hardrive. try to do it and you get blocked by the group policy controls in windows 10, doesn't matter if you are logged in as administrator apparently the group policy controls have a higher security rating than the system admin. their solution to this is to remotely access the computer to fix the problem... only with the winsock protocols not there, remote access is not available.

if you do do the above and end up with no internet access or network access the solution is to do a windows 10 reset, which comes with windows 10, where it deletes all your programs. eg winrar, firefox, but not the data, and re-installs the most recent copy of windows 10.

can't remember where it is but someone, not me, tryied to get help from microsoft and it basically says the customer followed the instruction but the computer they did it too wont connect to the internet, or their network anymore, so the person from microsoft tells them to log in as the administrator and re-install the ipv4 protocols, and they just say they get block by the group policy, which the person at microsoft just says to log in as administrater and re-install the ipv4 protocols, it reads like someone a microsoft just sits there re-posting instructions that don't work and hasn't even bothered to read what is actually wrong.

the actual solution is to create a homegroup and share files that way.