The Dark Mod Forums

Age rated game

Capela

This is not a commercial product. It's an "Open Source Project" with a CC-BY-NC-SA license due to assets gained

from commercial repositories that cannot be "sold" and to the team members objecting to any commercialization.

The only applicable rating would be ESRB "RP".

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

This is not a commercial product. It's an "Open Source Project" with a CC-BY-NC-SA license due to assets gained

from commercial repositories that cannot be "sold" and to the team members objecting to any commercialization.

The only applicable rating would be ESRB "RP".

OK...@nbohr1more...thanks for the information....

@Springheel ...that was funny... :D

It honestly depends on author, so you can't generalize.

Some authors are more adult, some are more softball and would be better for kids.

Generally though FMs might hover around 13+ maybe IMO. I mean if the purpose of your question is to know if your or somebody's kids should play. I think you might get an impression from an FM's release thread, and if you want to know more detail, you might ask in a release thread itself.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Well, as you can kill people in all ways imaginable, maybe it's not really best suited for kids... i mean, not that they will not play it anyway, but if you'd want to set up an age rating, it should best be 18+. Though i always wonder how harshly games are rated compared to movies. In the first scene of Saving Private Ryan (rated 16+) you see people being torn to pieces and body parts are flying around, yet something like Call of Duty is rated 18+, the blood has been cut, and in germany, all Nazi symbolic is censored from the game. Weird weird. More and more they realize though that it's not more harmful than films, nor is it the reason why students go on rampage, because they played Counterstrike like millions of others. Maybe they more and more realize the commercial potential of games and the influence of too much censorship on sales too, dunno. Probably both.

Edited by chakkman

"Use at your own risk"

You my friend are a JOKER! :D

(and I don't mean the Heath Ledger variety!!!) ;)

Edited by Dark Shadow

Cogito, ergo, sum. Cogito?

Though i always wonder how harshly games are rated compared to movies.

Society at large still seems to regard video games as something of a kid's thing due to the interactive nature, hence the harsher rating criterias and, apparently to this day, video games are still sold in toy shops in the US (don't know about anywhere else though). Though apparently, Halo 5: Guardians recently got an ESRB T rating, the first time a first-person shooter Halo title gets such a rating. So it's either a sign that attitudes are changing, or the ESRB made a very bizarre choice. Nothing seems to have been toned down to give the game a T rating.

Of course, here in Australia, the OFLC has a rather bizarre criteria for what makes a rating, though not in the way outsiders like to believe. Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2 and Halo: Reach are MA rated games (Halo: Combat Evolved was the first time we ever had an MA-rated product in our possession), Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST and Halo 4 were rated M, which means that they can be played in public - saw two kids playing a demo of Halo 3 at a Myers store once - and Halo Wars was given a PG rating (though of course, Halo Wars isn't an FPS). Don't know about Spartan Assault and Spartan Strike. To give an example of TV shows, the DVDs for Seasons 1, 3 and 4 of The Tudors are MA, yet Season 2 was given an M. Seriously, WTF? I watched that DVD, I believe it has the same amount of sex and violence as the others. But thankfully, I'm not the type who complains about this shit to the store.

And I don't really give a shit if kids play TDM or watch my videos of it (or MoTmod for that matter). Stealth games usually have the option of bypassing as many NPCs as possible, and in the case of some TDM missions, not harming anyone at all. To this day, my parents believe it's better to watch a video game on YouTube than playing it. Parents, not the government or anyone else, are the best people to decide what is good for their kids. You don't become aware of controversies until your parents start complaining - it happened when we tried out Super Smash Bros. Melee.

"Let me guess - little blue men with three heads stole your sweetroll?"

In the first scene of Saving Private Ryan (rated 16+) you see people being torn to pieces and body parts are flying around, yet something like Call of Duty is rated 18+, the blood has been cut

I watched a DVD of Breaking Bad in which the word "fuck" was blanked out from the soundtrack. Apparently it's OK for kids to watch shows about drug barons decapitating their rivals and blowing apart federal agents, but it's absolutely imperative that they don't hear any ungodly language while doing so.

and in germany, all Nazi symbolic is censored from the game.

That's a law specific to Germany (and other countries that were occupied by the Nazis like France). You're not even allowed swastikas in media about killing Nazis, because we all know that seeing a swastika will magically turn you into a Nazi. Please, Oh Great Government, protect us from Dangerous Shapes that will corrupt our minds!

• Like 2

I watched a DVD of Breaking Bad in which the word "fuck" was blanked out from the soundtrack. Apparently it's OK for kids to watch shows about drug barons decapitating their rivals and blowing apart federal agents, but it's absolutely imperative that they don't hear any ungodly language while doing so.

That's a law specific to Germany (and other countries that were occupied by the Nazis like France). You're not even allowed swastikas in media about killing Nazis, because we all know that seeing a swastika will magically turn you into a Nazi. Please, Oh Great Government, protect us from Dangerous Shapes that will corrupt our minds!

It is much easier to be disciplined about violence than refraining from swearing. Besides, bleeps are funny! :D Also, these laws only apply to video games, again because they're still regarded as toys. Look at Downfall.

"Let me guess - little blue men with three heads stole your sweetroll?"

• 1 month later...

One of the things I love about open-source games is that freaky and outdated concepts like age ratings don't exist here. So thankfully, the official answer is "none" :)

But if someone really wants to estimate what groups like ESRB would rate this game, important highlights include: It does contain realistic violence, considering you can kill people with swords or arrows or falling crates. A handful of missions also have some implicit sex scenes, while others show guards peeing on trees. So I assume that most people concerned with these sorts of things would give TDM a 16+ rating at most.

Well, as you can kill people in all ways imaginable, maybe it's not really best suited for kids... i mean, not that they will not play it anyway, but if you'd want to set up an age rating, it should best be 18+. Though i always wonder how harshly games are rated compared to movies. In the first scene of Saving Private Ryan (rated 16+) you see people being torn to pieces and body parts are flying around, yet something like Call of Duty is rated 18+, the blood has been cut, and in germany, all Nazi symbolic is censored from the game. Weird weird. More and more they realize though that it's not more harmful than films, nor is it the reason why students go on rampage, because they played Counterstrike like millions of others. Maybe they more and more realize the commercial potential of games and the influence of too much censorship on sales too, dunno. Probably both.

One possible explanation to this would be that in movies you only watch it in games you actually do it. Explanation on how those organizations rate games and movies and not how I would rate them.