The Dark Mod Forums

The_Deep's Mapping Troubles.

the_deep

Cool. I'm not sure I want the NPCs to highlight though. Can I trigger another visual cue, like a cursor of some sort?

I'm not sure. We don't have an in-game cursor, so highlighting might be the only way. You have to interact with the 3d world, not a HUD. Highlighting is unsubtle in some circs, but it's consistent in the game too. Players will know what it means. If you're really determined, TDM's HUD is editable and extendible, and scripting could give you an even quicker fix if you wanted to do something different.

I'm not sure. We don't have an in-game cursor, so highlighting might be the only way. You have to interact with the 3d world, not a HUD. Highlighting is unsubtle in some circs, but it's consistent in the game too. Players will know what it means. If you're really determined, TDM's HUD is editable and extendible, and scripting could give you an even quicker fix if you wanted to do something different.

It's a fairly well-lit area and the highlighting isn't very noticeable in those circumstances. Another possible solution would be to have the NPC turn towards the player when in focus and utter a quick :"Yes?" or "What can I do for you?" or something of that sort indicating that an action can be performed with a possible on-screen message (but I'd like to keep those to a minimum). The question is if it's apparent enough that a conversation can be started, also it may be a messy solution if there are more NPCs in close proximity. A cursor that appears only at moments when there's an action to perform would be the best option.

Maybe you could just insert a message, when the player enters the area. Something like "This is a safehouse. Talk to other people by pressing "frob"" and also add other infos, what is different here or something like that.

I'd really like to stick to the rule of "Show, Don't Tell" as much as possible.

Maybe there's a frob-highlight value I could play with? See if that makes a difference without getting too funky.

Just simple stuff.... Candles that I set to be non-frobable, shelves and furniture set to be non-mantleable etc.

I found a misbehaving light source though, that might be the culprit. When viewed from certain angles the shadows start flickering. Interestingly it only happens in the native Linux version, the Windows version through Wine is fine (and that, yep, that's a rhyme.)

You can use makeIntensity in your material definition to set materials to black and white and there is a desaturation factor in our post process shader:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Advanced_TDM_Visuals_Tweaking

We also have a posterize shader as I recall. Yes, you would need to use ARB assembly to build your shaders.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

You can add ARB program effects via a GUI overlay.

E.g. if you look in the attachment for http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4214it has files for a distortion overlay (but no script file because the bug relates to underwater overlays).

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying