The Dark Mod Forums

Blackjacking. What the hell.

Cynical

I always thought that was a silly part of Thief. But if you want it, you can have it. Just set the Hearing slider to Nearly Deaf.

Springheel posted the end-all solution.

Almost every problem I've ever had with blackjacking stemmed from moving too fast behind a guard. I forgot the difficulty sliders existed. You can slide the problem right out of existence.

Edited by jaxa
  • Like 1

Yeah... And also, training.

Its really no big deal. A bit of practising will do it.

Its like when you are playing a flight sim for the first time. Whats this, fuel?! If I turn the plane sideways too much it falls? Whats this about me having to "land"? Games have specific gameplay stuff you have to learn. Put the time into it, its worth it.

Edited by RPGista

Haha THAT is what I wanted to hear!

Thank you for the explanations guys, so I visited the wiki, but when I try to click the SVN link, it tells me to log in. So I guess you first need access to the SVN to be able to make a fork? You can find the link under

IMO you ought to start with a stable release when you're learning, which means the 2.03 sourcecode (from here : http://www.thedarkmod.com/downloads/), which works with the existing 2.03 game.

SVN (the WIP code and assets) is another layer of complexity you can play with once you know what's going on with all the different parts of the game working together.

I mean you can mess with SVN too. Not trying to say you can't. It's just easier starting with a stable release I think. Eg the 2.03 code is like a 30mb download, and svn is like 5 or more GB of stuff.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

IMO you ought to start with a stable release when you're learning, which means the 2.03 sourcecode (from here : http://www.thedarkmod.com/downloads/), which works with the existing 2.03 game.

I would see the main issue with forks besides splitting the community in that you have to recompile and redo all your changes once the core game has some issues fixed. Isn't there a lot of stuff possible without compiling the source just by editing e.g. the def files? Like the extinguishable oil lamps that were discussed recently. That way we could create a mod or a patch that would just work on top of the current game without being a real fork...

Yes to both. All depends on what you want to do. A ton of stuff can be done with the pk4 files, no compiling needed. Can distrib as a simple patch.

Sourcecode is for really radically game-changing things, like multiplayer, or putting in Mirror's Edge moves, Dishonored powers, Arcanum gesture-based spells... the skies the limit. But have to recompile every new version.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

What's with the circlejerk when Springheel posted the end-all solution.

Almost every problem I've ever had with blackjacking stemmed from moving too fast behind a guard. I forgot the difficulty sliders existed. You can slide the problem right out of existence.

Because we love jerking on Springs? He's awesome and tastes like raisins.......this is a question?

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Yes to both. All depends on what you want to do.

Ah yes now I understand the difference between the normal open source code and the SVN access - and yes I guess it is better to use the normal 2.03 code for the start.

Yeah, normally you just unpack the pk4 files and you can start your HD texture mod right away without coding. I was working on an alternative footstep sound project but I didn't finish it. Still I believe some of those sounds already made it into the official release. Maybe I can do another screen recording of the current foot steps and create some new alternatives which brings to my mind that I want to find out how I can extend the available footstep sounds for each material, what would bring me to looking at the source code to find that out which is really an adventure. Now I'm excited - thanks guys for the encouragement! :)

• Like 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I was working on an alternative footstep sound project but I didn't finish it. Still I believe some of those sounds already made it into the official release.

Speaking of sounds, maybe you could find some alternatives for the wood chests because right now they sound exactly like wooden doors when opening.

• Like 1