The Dark Mod Forums

Windows XP support ?

I know DarkRadiant is compiled with VC ++ 2012 (or 2013) and Windows XP is not supported. But there is a possible workaround to compile DarkRadiant for Windows XP (without having to make a separate compilation).

This solution is discussed on the following pages :

Is it possible to add this features in a future release of DarkRadiant ?

Edited by kleid

It may be theoretically possible, but I'm pretty sure nobody on the team is going to spend time and effort adding support for an obsolete operating system that no longer receives security updates and is likely riddled with security holes.

Windows XP is dead. Move on.

I don't think poking fun at people who are genuinely interested in development (for the sake of the most users possible) is a very productive or even friendly thing to do.

But it's okay because there will come a time when Windows 7 isn't supported anymore and nothing will run on a machine that doesn't have at least a quad-core processor. :) Things will only get worse and worse.

And just for the record, I personally don't care much, I can do everything I want for myself, but it would be nice if I could maximise the chance of finding people to work with because I know that creative talent and the money they have to afford a decent machine to work on are two very very very different things indeed.

Edited by LDAsh

I don't think poking fun at people who are genuinely interested in development (for the sake of the most users possible) is a very productive or even friendly thing to do.

If someone "genuinely interested in development" wants to implement support for Windows XP they are free to do so. The DarkRadiant code is open source and publicly available. This doesn't mean that the project developers are obliged to spend their own time adding workarounds for obsolete and unsupported operating systems just because someone, somewhere might find it useful. Whether you think it's "friendly" or not is irrelevant.

But it's okay because there will come a time when Windows 7 isn't supported anymore and nothing will run on a machine that doesn't have at least a quad-core processor. :) Things will only get worse and worse.

Spare us the melodramatic bullshit. Nothing is getting "worse and worse". Software and hardware obsolescence has been a fact of life since the industry started. There's probably someone using Windows 3.0 on a 286 that wishes they could play TDM, but they can't, and it's tough luck.

Spare us the melodramatic bullshit. Nothing is getting "worse and worse".

It's not supposed to be "melodic bullshit", as you said yourself in the following sentence that obsolescence is a fact of life, but what I'm trying to say is by "worse and worse" is that the benefits of newer operating systems weighed against the shelf-life of their predecessors, combined with user-base (which XP was greater than Windows 7 for quite some time, a few years after 7 had been released already) is increasingly out of balance, and I wouldn't be surprised if 7 is not supported in a short time from now. Then what? Another bunch of cash, and possibly a whole other new PC, because one or two new operations are being used (making programmer's lives marginally easier, but not really providing anything new to the user, per se) and programmers are just out of time and energy to support so many different operating systems. If you're the maker of an OS, this is great news for your wallet, but if you're a user and your pockets aren't overflowing with western dollars to dish out at them, it's not so great.

No, nobody is obliged, especially for a project like DarkRadiant which people have worked on for free, out of passion. I'm just trying to say that it's worth thinking about and certainly not respectable to be patronising or downright defensive about, like comparing a typical "XP machine" to a 286 or a Commodore64, which is just weird and not even mildly entertaining.

If we want to talk about obsolescence with our chins so high in the air, we could try to ask some other people what they think about idTech4 and Radiant... I think they could shove their chins even higher than anyone here and be a lot more patronising too. :) But no, we know that Radiant isn't just for "Quake 2 maps". The limits of the user's creativity is more of a factor than the limits of the software. I get the same kind of ugly chins poking at me because we're using Blender and some people are like "pffft, Blender, if you were any serious indie developer then you'd pirate 3DSMAX like WE do!!!"

just because someone, somewhere might find it useful

Yeah, not _everyone_ can go grabs on daddy's credit card for a new PC every 6 months like _some_ people can. We clearly have different views of the world. I know there are a lot of people out there who could be valuable members of a development team, very talented and creative people, but who happen to still have older systems because, for the most part, they can still do everything they want to do with it. It's not just "someone somewhere" at all, even now. Being patronising toward someone because they honestly can't afford a new computer and OS to go with it, is just plain stinky first-world attitude and can easily be spared. Very sad.

I was not making fun of anyone.
Could be rephrased to "I was not _aware_ that I was making fun of anyone." :P Edited by LDAsh

Could be rephrased to "I was not _aware_ that I was making fun of anyone." :P

Haha okay you might are right with that one. :D But seriously, no offence was intended.

But do you guys really start a discussion about a 14 years old OS now? Especially with "Yeah, not _everyone_ can go grabs on daddy's credit card for a new PC every 6 months like _some_ people can." and "Spare us the melodramatic bullshit."

Imho, LDAsh, you really should consider upgrading your OS to Win7 or at least Vista which you can have both (here in Germany) for only 20€ and you can also upgrade them to Win10 for free until next year.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

You missed the point. I already said that I personally don't care. I have and can use Windows 7 myself. I am thinking about other people in the world (not USA, not Western Europe) that do not and can not, but are not any less creative and talented and a potentially valuable part of any development team. For a little extra effort to add support, workaround or not, is really worth it. That's all I'm trying to say here. Whether it's $30 or $3, is not the point. The benefits weighed against the enforced requirements are out of balance, especially since kleid has pointed out that it's very possible.

Instead of being patronising, a little technical advice about how to compile an XP build of the latest DarkRadiant would be much better to post, for the reasons I mentioned above. That's all I'm trying to say...

I already said that I personally don't care.

You're sure putting a lot of effort into continuing the discussion for someone who doesn't care.

I think it's clear there are no developers here interested in taking on the task of supporting 14 year old operating systems. If you can find one somewhere else, great.

• Like 1

You missed the point. I already said that I personally don't care. I have and can use Windows 7 myself. I am thinking about other people in the world (not USA, not Western Europe) that do not and can not, but are not any less creative and talented and a potentially valuable part of any development team. For a little extra effort to add support, workaround or not, is really worth it. That's all I'm trying to say here. Whether it's $30 or $3, is not the point. The benefits weighed against the enforced requirements are out of balance, especially since kleid has pointed out that it's very possible.

Instead of being patronising, a little technical advice about how to compile an XP build of the latest DarkRadiant would be much better to post, for the reasons I mentioned above. That's all I'm trying to say...

Don't worry, computers are pretty cheap in the 2'nd world. If anything, I'd say internet, Wi-Fi, tablets, PC's are really, really affordable even for the not so rich individuals around Eastern Europe from what I'm a witness of.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

@Ldash - I havent been following this threa, mainly because of futility of it subject.

I beleive the main reason Orbs is being blunt is because he and Greebo are the only members working on DR, that and any time they have to work on DR is extremely limited. So with that in mind, that last thing they will want to is use any of that time trying to make DR backwards compatible with an OS that isnt supported anymore. Sorry but thats just how it is.

I know, man. That's how it is... These are good replies and thanks to everyone for being so reasonable. Especially the_deep, I admit I don't know much about Linux OSes but I think you are right, instead of XP one could (probably, easily) get a partition/HDD and install Linux. That's probably the best solution, if I knew more about Linux. But in the meantime, I just hope, in the future, if someone brings up this subject again, instead of "oooooh poor little bunny-boy", or some 286/Commodore64 references, something more productive like, such as where one might begin, or one might need to specifically know, about how to compile an XP version, would be a whole lot better use of typing efforts. ;)

You're sure putting a lot of effort into continuing the discussion for someone who doesn't care.

Read again... I said I _personally_ don't care, but I am thinking much broader than that. Be careful, the dangers of skimming over text and being oblivious to its context. :o

Edited by LDAsh

Spare us the melodramatic bullshit. Nothing is getting "worse and worse". Software and hardware obsolescence has been a fact of life since the industry started.

I don't want to get into a whole "XP>Vista,7,8,8.1,10" debate as they're all near technological perfection buried by gimmicky crap, but if XP was still supported by Microsoft I'd recommend it to the average Joe who just wants to browse the net, consume media and use office applications. There really is nothing in the vista et al. kernel that make it more beneficial to granny & granddad over XP, aside from the support from Microsoft.

That last bit is the only reason why I wouldn't recommend XP to the everyday user or that software developers should support it.

As for nothing is getting "worse and worse": I used to be able to remove Internet Explorer from W95 OSR2.

Read again... I said I _personally_ don't care, but I am thinking much broader than that.

The words say the same thing they did the first time I read them.

The words say the same thing they did the first time I read them.

He doesn't personally care, but has decided to demonstrate his selfless generosity by altruistically caring on behalf of other people who might care. It's quite simple really.

Sorry for the inconvenience but if I proposed to try to port DarkRadiant on XP it's just that I do not have the money (one to two years) to buy a descent computer (and a good graphics card ) that can support Windows 8 or more.

During this period I will use version 1.8 (or maybe use NetRadiant or GTKRadiant).

It's not my fault if Microsoft does not want to support Windows XP (in some years, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 will in turn be obsolete and the problem will be new recurring).

I personally use GCC (mingw or mingw64) to compile a personal Doom3 engine which allows me to use it for various Windows XP
and newer version (friends).

I think a lot of others are in this same situation and we wouldn't be here if we didn't genuinely love and appreciate what DarkRadiant is and the effort that has gone into its development, but instead of any helpful advice, we just face animosity and get poked fun at. Same amount of text spent (by some of you) acting like arrogant spoiled brats could have given plenty of advice already.

It's almost feeling as though this place is haunted by the ghost of BNA! :D

Edited by LDAsh

Linux is free, the upgrade to Windows 10 is still free for another 9 or so months. What you want to hear is "We will resume support for a dead operating system". Should Sony start supporting the Playstation 2 again?

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080