The Dark Mod Forums

Trick to unlocking doors?

llanita

Very new to this. I'm doing the training mission to orient myself on movement, etc.

I am trying out the locks, and I'm thoroughly confused. I get that the correct lock will show a green flicker, no problem. I use that pick on the lock and that's where the problem starts.

I keep expecting it to work like the other thief games but it's not is it. If I keep pressing the mouse, the lockpick/lock just keeps on going over and over the same motion without opening the gate/door.

I'm baffled. I've played a lot of thief fms, and I'm just not getting this one.

I can see the lock pin moving back and forth and I hear clicking but nothing else.

fosig_zpshhfnjs18.png

Very new to this. I'm doing the training mission to orient myself on movement, etc.

I am trying out the locks, and I'm thoroughly confused. I get that the correct lock will show a green flicker, no problem. I use that pick on the lock and that's where the problem starts.

I keep expecting it to work like the other thief games but it's not is it. If I keep pressing the mouse, the lockpick/lock just keeps on going over and over the same motion without opening the gate/door.

I'm baffled. I've played a lot of thief fms, and I'm just not getting this one.

I can see the lock pin moving back and forth and I hear clicking but nothing else.

The TDM lockpicking system is a touch more interactive than the classic games. You have to listen to the series of clicks. There will be a slight pause at the end of the sequence, when you hear that pause, release your finger from the mouse button. If you timed it correctly, you will hear a louder clunk and the lock will advance to the next sequence. Simply hold down the mouse button again to activate the next sequence. If you are finding it too difficult, there are settings to increase the period of silence at the end of the sequence to give you more time to release the mouse button.

I thought there were readables in the training mission to explain how lock picking worked.

There are instructions for how it works right beside the lockpicks in the training mission.

If you set your lockpicking to "Trainer" (I think?) in the menu, it will work like T1/2, where you just hold down the key until it's done.

If you want to play it exactly like in original Thief, you can adjust it in the settings window, just like Springheel said. It may makes things more comfortable but I personally don't recommend using the "Thief style". It is much more satisfying and even creates A LOT of tension, when there's guards around and you have to watch / wait for the right moment to release the mouse.

Just try it, it's really fun! Another hint: For the beginning you mostly have to hear the sequence twice to find the right spot - later on, as a "veteran" you can even try to do it in the first sequence play :)

• Like 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Don't you have an entire thread for your passive aggressive whining?

You want to start me again on that ;)? I was only amazed that some things don't seem to be important after all, although they are considered to be the heart of the mod. While other more minor ones get the whole crew up fighting to not change them one bit...

Edited by wesp5

Wow, there really is an option like this, but an option for extinguishable oil lamps is just not thinkable? Weird...

Here's the difference. Extinguishable oil lamps have an effect on gameplay and mappers. Easy/guaranteed lockpicking doesn't, because a skilled player can unlock without repeating any tumblers.

You want to start me again on that ;)? I was only amazed that some things don't seem to be important after all, although they are considered to be the heart of the mod. While other more minor ones get the whole crew up fighting to not change them one bit...

A setting to automate lock picking does not remove the lock though....unlike a setting to allow certain lamps to be extinguished. True, the player no longer has to try to figure out the lock pattern, but they still have to sit through the entire picking cycle. The door doesn't instantly open.

Here's the difference. Extinguishable oil lamps have an effect on gameplay and mappers.

Hm, so what effect do they have on gameplay? They make the game easier in a few missions where oil lamps are in a critical place and must not be extinguished. So how does trainer lockpicking, or even worse, AI difficulty settings, affect the gameplay? They make the game easier in all missions! The latter is allowed to be in the hand of the player, the former not. I still don't get why...

Edited by wesp5

Hm, so what effect do they have on gameplay? They make the game easier in a few missions where oil lamps are in a critical place and must not be extinguished. So how does trainer lockpicking, or even worse, AI difficulty settings, affect the gameplay? They make the game easier in all missions! The latter is allowed to be in the hand of the player, the former not. I still don't get why...

They make the mission less difficult by allowing lights to be put out that would have required strategic use of a water arrow, in a way the mapper did not expect. I'm sure this was explained to you in the other thread. I wouldn't have a problem with extinguishable gas lights, and I think my vote in the poll reflected that, but you are beating a dead horse.

Easier lockpicking does not change gameplay, because it takes the same minimum time to open a lock no matter what the difficulty setting.

There have been numerous bug fixes to AI behavior. Nobody expects AI behavior to remain exactly the same, beyond keeping compatibility with things such as guard paths and other scripted actions. These changes are made carefully and tested.

The AI still react the way they were programmed to react. A player who is not seeking a hardcore challenge will have a little more grace time, but that's about it. Nothing else changes. The AI still patrol and perform all their duties. The AI do not get switched off.

They make the game easier in all missions!

The AI still patrol and perform all their duties. The AI do not get switched off.

I read somewhere else that blackjacking AI can be made a lot easier, which changes gameplay much more than any extinguishable lights would do. Also while you experts have no problem lockpicking everything in one go, I myself and probably a lot of other players need at least two goes on normal setting to get the pattern which changes the strategic approach and difficulty a lot too!

Please stop hijacking this thread...

Quite.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

It means he agrees with you

Quite.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

There is a "like" button for this stuff so other people don't have to read fluff posts like this that add nothing to the discussion. Please use it.

Will do, but also wanted to agree with the two, as the discussion about the oil lamps really is tiring.

The like button wasn't definitely serving the longing for its purpose this time, so you should turn a blind eye this time, 161... ;)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager