The Dark Mod Forums

Thief (2014) Anyone played it?

Eyeshine

Those raspy/hoarse/rough voices are one of the biggest things I liked in the old thief games. They were so fitting for the characters.

How much whiskey and cigarettes they needed to consume to get those voices is beyond me. Since the thief games, I've never heard such delicious voices in games. Shame.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

But I guess you can't argue about someone's sense of humor, it's way too subjective.

I wasn't discussing your sense of humor. I was pointing out that Thief 1 and 2 didn't have broad, physical, slapstick like you would see in a cartoon or campy comedy. Sliding across the floor like one of the three stooges on oil, or gagging on a moss arrow. Very different things. A moss arrow in the mouth would have been more likely to grow into their lungs and kill the guards than it would have been to simply muffle their speech.

That illustrates nicely the difference between relatively mature humor and silly campy humor.

Someone's going to appreciate Forrest Gump, others are going to stick to the new Jim Carrey and someone out there just rewatches Chaplin for the 20'th time.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

I wasn't discussing your sense of humor. I was pointing out that Thief 1 and 2 didn't have broad, physical, slapstick like you would see in a cartoon or campy comedy. Sliding across the floor like one of the three stooges on oil, or gagging on a moss arrow. Very different things. A moss arrow in the mouth would have been more likely to grow into their lungs and kill the guards than it would have been to simply muffle their speech.

Alright I got it. Thing is that the voice actors often overplayed their roles in Thief 1 and 2 in a way that didn't appeal to me. I appreciated the drama and story much more.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

Someone's going to appreciate Forrest Gump, others are going to stick to the new Jim Carrey and someone out there just rewatches Chaplin for the 20'th time.

I don't think anyone was arguing that people enjoy different types of humor, we were pointing out that the humor in Thief 3 fell more toward silly / campy than in Thief 1 and Thief 2 because you had said "The humor was pretty much the same for me in all 3 games. I didn't notice a significant difference." Our point being, there IS a difference. Whether you enjoyed it or not doesn't really concern me personally. ;)

• Like 1

I don't think anyone was arguing that people enjoy different types of humor, we were pointing out that the humor in Thief 3 fell more toward silly / campy than in Thief 1 and Thief 2 because you had said "The humor was pretty much the same for me in all 3 games. I didn't notice a significant difference." Our point being, there IS a difference. Whether you enjoyed it or not doesn't really concern me personally. ;)

Okay that's reasonable. BUT Thief Deadly Shadows wasn't all silly. I mean nobody forces you to drop oil or shoot moss arrows at NPC's. It had it's moments equally as good as Thief 1 & 2 ones. After all a big bunch of the old actors remained the same.

badge?user=andarson

• 2 weeks later...

I actually tackled this game on highest difficulty with as much help to the atmosphere as could be by turning off music and half the HUD.

It still sucked, so I basically ended up making a parody/mockery high-level gameplay video all in one.

I find it depressing since the game's finest thing from my point of view is with the difficulty modifier the high cost of supplies is nicely balanced with the idea of collecting all the loot you can. Other than that though, yeah, the game is a bland mess that deserves all the mockery I've given it in the video.

Edited by V-Man339

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

it was the ink bottles, perfume bottles, letter openers, single coins in drawers and on shelfs that didn't make any sense, no other standard clutter in drawers other than loot, or emptyness, why not paper, or pens for the ink bottles, even if they were still using quills as pens then there should have been knives and quills. major unique loot sitting in a ring box at the side of the street near the beginning of the game before you get to the jewelry shop, no reason for it to be there, maybe it spawned in. stuff in nests without the birds (magpies/jackdaws) that might have lifted them in the first place, or there corpses if they had died, then again those birds don't build nests in the places they are found, usually in forks in tree branches, below the leaf tops. or under the overhangs of roofs to keep the rain off. or pigeons (rock / wood)they usually nest in cliffs or trees, they mistake tall buildings for the cliffs they would usually nest on, and there's more rock ledges on buildings than there are on cliffs.

then there's the buggy patrolling guards, that get stuck looking in one direction and never move until you disturb them, and then they reset to there patrol routes until they get stuck again. Loot stuck in a lighted area with a light that can't be put out and one of those stuck (should be patroling) guards looking directly at the loot.

If the mess was beta tested then the testers must have killed every guard that got in the way and didn't even bother with the stealth aspect. it seems just like thief 3 that players can get credited with a kill even if the kill was caused by something else, and the player had no hand in the kill.

Well I started this thread after watching a few videos that considered Thief 2014 an average game with some flaws but it was worth playing, I realise now that if I had watched this video by Gopher it would have answered all my concerns, if you don't know Gopher he is a very well respected modder who has made many mods and been involved as a team modder for some essential mods for Skyrim like Skyrim Script Extender (SKSE) Gopher has also made a lot of excellent game play videos and modding tutorials, I have watched literally 100's of his videos and I learnt a lot about modding from him, so he knows what he's talking about and his opinions are not influenced by sponsors, etc, Gopher is not known for being overly dramatic or ranting so when he reviewed Thief 2014 after starting to make a play through and giving up, it was a sure sign that the game had some serious issues, I've never heard him so exasperated!

Edited by Eyeshine

The moss arrow I think used by shooting in the face was a silencing technique so an alerted guard wouldn't be loud enough to call his buddies to help out.

It's not about the gameplay effect. It's about how they turned the AIs reaction into slapstick humour.