The Dark Mod Forums

Schemer character vocals

Melan

It is quite hard to write a full vocal set

You can say that again.

There are also a few new vocal barks that I'm not sure are in your list. I'll take a further look tonight.

Nice to see something for the smooth/sinister voice Springheel proposed, and that could be used for nobles. Pity there aren't any mage lines, but if it takes that much effort to add any then far be it from me to complain. :smile:

Typo:

Idle_noble_1: “…with their bought titles and fake crests… see thought them all…”

• Like 1

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

That's more of a performance thing, no?

It depends on how strictly the voice actor follows the script. Especially when there are inconsistencies like this:

"I am sure it should not be so."

"Could it...? No, I’m sure it’s wrong..."

If the actor sees this, then he might conclude that a contraction shouldn't be used in the first case, and should be used in the second.

If a character is known to not use contractions (i.e. Henry Standing Bear in the TV show Longmire), it becomes part of his character; what sets him apart from how others normally speak. People are usually consistent. Nobles tend to not use contractions. Common people are more likely to.

I actually thought a lot about those contractions. Serious business.

[edit]And by that, I mean I still blew them, and grayman is completely right.

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Who was the guy that did the really cool /sadistic voice for us a while back..? something about poppies - can we get him to do the above line-set for us..?

That was me! The poppy seed killer or something haha. I posted that back in 2013 I believe.

However I've already provided two full vocal sets and I think a third would be a bit too much. I'm sure there are others who could do a better job anyway :)

• 2 weeks later...

I could try to record some samples for the schemer or the necromancer. Just a few test lines if I'll find some time for it. Melan's current write-up is quite good IMHO, but does anyone have any ideas on the voice direction for the necromancer ?

That's why I'm asking. I don't particularly care if it's just practice lines, I'm just interested in what direction you'd like to go with the style of his voiceovers.

• 9 months later...

I could sure use that characers voice in my FM. It's a slimy merchant character with nasty secrets

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

I had an offer from Yandros, and I would like to honour it if he feels ready (plus he is very well suited to do it).

If you don't mind, I'll ask him if he can still take it. If he passes, it is yours.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I have voices too, mostly my voice is a squeak box lol.

If a script is written properly, with inflextions and accent added in, it shouldn't be too difficult to voice it. Here's a good example I did.

"I was a settin on the v'randa jes watchin da day sliiide on by, when i spies old jake come-a-runnin up the track outa da old dark woods backa behind old henries place... he came runnin up, a puffin n awheezin, and he screams, "miss maggie, miss maggie, dem dere white boys done got lil leroy, and done takin him inta da woods..... dey say dey gonna teach him a lesson cause u know lil' leroy got such bad mouth...."

Edited by NeonsStyle

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

• 2 months later...