The Dark Mod Forums

Player voice-over spawnarg?

Springheel

Player grunts or witty comments are entirely optional, narrator voices might contain important story bits they player does not want to miss.

Are you saying the player volume slider is supposed to work on player grunts? It doesn't work that way now. Nor do I see any special reason to give the player control over those grunts, since they're primarily there for feedback. You might as well add a footstep volume slider and a door volume slider.

Are you saying the player volume slider is supposed to work on player grunts? It doesn't work that way now. Nor do I see any special reason to give the player control over those grunts, since they're primarily there for feedback. You might as well add a footstep volume slider and a door volume slider.

I think he meant if the player's reaction to something is a pondering sort of sound, like "hmmm" or "huh?", and that's bundled up with witty sayings, then they're all controlled by the player voice slider.

I don't think he meant the grunts you hear when the player lands hard or gets whacked by a sword or something along those lines.

• Like 1

I think he meant if the player's reaction to something is a pondering sort of sound, like "hmmm" or "huh?", and that's bundled up with witty sayings, then they're all controlled by the player voice slider.

I don't think he meant the grunts you hear when the player lands hard or gets whacked by a sword or something along those lines.

Exactly.

The different sliders are different for "It was a dark and stormy night in copperlane district" (important info by narratori: we are in copperlane district) and "I'm afraid of heights" (unimportant info spoken by the player to himself).

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I have followed the wiki exactly and in my test map the voice over isnt working, see the attached test map -

1. Place atdm:voice in your map (location does not matter, and you need only one).
2. Place atdm:trigger_voice in your map, and give it the following spawnargs:
"snd_say" "sound_you_want_to_play"
"as_player" "1"
3. Then link your atdm:trigger_voice to your atdm:voice entity (CTRL-K in DarkRadiant)

pvoice.map.txt

And regarding the 'atdm:voice_trigger' is it a once only trigger, for example - I have a bulding with multiple entrances and I assume I need place a tigger_once on all of them, and they all target the 'atdm:voice_tigger' which itself targets the atdm:voice.

Tels demo map work and I could use that in my wip, but would prefer to use the inbuilt entites if possible.

You're using a trigger brush called "voice_trigger".

What you want to use instead is the entity atdm:trigger_voice". (In the Targets folder.)

Once I made that change, it worked fine.

Since the triggers the player walks through at all the doors are normal trigger brushes, you can have them target a single trigger_once brush, and have that target the atdm:trigger_voice. This guarantees that if the player walks through the first brush, he hears the sound, and when he walks through any of the remaining brushes, he hears nothing. I assume that's what you want.

The different sliders are different for "It was a dark and stormy night in copperlane district" (important info by narratori: we are in copperlane district) and "I'm afraid of heights" (unimportant info spoken by the player to himself).

That doesn't help explain the need for two separate sliders. If the narration is important, then why would the mapper want to give the player the option of turning it off?

That doesn't help explain the need for two separate sliders. If the narration is important, then why would the mapper want to give the player the option of turning it off?

It's not so much turning it off, but turning it up or down. They might want the background music turned down so they can hear the important stuff, and turn up the player and narrator voices a bit so they can be heard. Also (as I cited in the case of Shadowhide's map), they might want to turn down the player/narrator sounds so they aren't screaming in their ears.

What wiki? I can't find it.

- http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Script_objects

tdm_voice

A script object for atdm:voice, which can play voices (or any other sounds) so they appear to come from the player. Can be used for voice overs and narrator effects. Both effects use the volume in two different CVARs, so their volume can be controlled separately.

How to use:

1. Place an atdm:voice entity in your map (location does not matter, and you need only one)
  2. Place multiple atdm:voice_trigger entities in your map
  3. link your atdm:voice_trigger entities to your atdm:voice entity (CTRL+K in DarkRadiant)

Give the following spawnargs to the atdm:voice_trigger entities:

"snd_say"    "sound_you_want_to_play"                       // generic, male or female"as_player"  "1"                                            // if the player should say things"as_player"  "0"                                            // if the speaker (from off) should say things

The difference between "as_player" "0" and "1" is the volume as set in the menu.

I'm going to clean up that wiki. First off, no mapper is going to go looking for script objects; they'll be looking for how to make the player say something. (This is why I couldn't find the wiki page.) Second, atdm:voice should use the same template as atdm:alarm_sound: it gets its own page, with a reference to the use of a script object.

It's not so much turning it off, but turning it up or down. They might want the background music turned down so they can hear the important stuff, and turn up the player and narrator voices a bit so they can be heard.

Is it possible to turn the voice volume up? I thought the game defaults to the highest volume setting.

That aside, what happens when the player IS the narrator (which will be true in 99% of cases that actually use this). If the player is narrating something, how do I as a mapper decide which volume setting to pick for the speaker? How do players know which volume setting to change, other than going back and forth to the menus and using trial and error?

It sounds like what is meant by the terms "player" and "narrator" is actually "unimportant" and "important". But there's no way for either mappers or players to figure that out.

Is it possible to turn the voice volume up? I thought the game defaults to the highest volume setting.

The voice volume sliders by default are set to the highest setting. You can't make the voice louder than that using these. If you're a mapper, you could bump up the volume of the sound shaders you're using for the player and/or narrator voices.

That aside, what happens when the player IS the narrator (which will be true in 99% of cases that actually use this). If the player is narrating something, how do I as a mapper decide which volume setting to pick for the speaker?

Not sure I understand the question. By 'speaker' do you mean a speaker entity? Or the player as a speaker? If the former, there's no speaker entity involved; volume is controlled by the sound shader and the voice/narrator sliders allow the player to change those volumes.

How do players know which volume setting to change, other than going back and forth to the menus and using trial and error?

They don't. Wiki instructions for players on how to use Menu settings in general are extremely sparse. They basically amount to: "There are settings you can change." This entire section of the wiki could use some beefing up.

It sounds like what is meant by the terms "player" and "narrator" is actually "unimportant" and "important". But there's no way for either mappers or players to figure that out.

I agree that it's confusing, and the narrator should prolly have been left out. Someone early on, however, decided it was needed, so it's there. It doesn't mean you as a mapper have to use it. As for the player, he could probably figure it out if the Audio Settings section of the wiki were beefed up.

Not sure I understand the question. By 'speaker' do you mean a speaker entity?

I'm a mapper adding some speakers that involve player narration ("Here I am back on the streets of Bridgeport...."). Should I designate those speakers as "player" speakers (by whatever method that is done), or as "narrator" speakers? It's the player talking, but he's narrating. Or am I supposed to pick based on how important I think the information given by the narration is?

I agree that it's confusing, and the narrator should prolly have been left out. Someone early on, however, decided it was needed, so it's there.

I think we're on the same page there.

But if we can't change it now, we at least need to establish some kind of guidelines for its use, or it will vary widely between maps.

I'm a mapper adding some speakers that involve player narration ("Here I am back on the streets of Bridgeport...."). Should I designate those speakers as "player" speakers (by whatever method that is done), or as "narrator" speakers? It's the player talking, but he's narrating. Or am I supposed to pick based on how important I think the information given by the narration is?

Tels gives an apt example of each category:

Narrator: "It was a dark and stormy night as Garrett made his way through the city streets."

Player: "Hmmm. It's really dark and stormy tonight. I hope I don't drown before I get to City Bank. Need to make a withdrawal."

Actually, Tels' example, as I understood it, was that the Player is for "unimportant info", and the Narrator is for "important info".

The difference is in importance for the map/story/gameplay. Player grunts or witty comments are entirely optional, narrator voices might contain important story bits they player does not want to miss.

That's why I'm confused. Do I designate the speakers by how important the information is, or by who says it (ie, the player or a separate narrator).

Sorry, I edited that post while you were replying.

I can just ignore it (and might), but we need to establish what the correct use is, if we want any consistency between maps. :P

Sorry, I edited that post while you were replying.

I can just ignore it (and might), but we need to establish what the correct use is, if we want any consistency between maps. :P

I think the correct use is in the example I gave.

If a map is going to have two voices, one for the player and one for a narrator, then the narrator atdm:trigger_voice entities need to have "as_player" "0" set on them and the player atdm:trigger_voice entities need to have "as_player" "1" set on them. And, of course, the two voices need to be different.

If you're making a map and you're having the player make witty sayings throughout, and there's no narrator, then use the "as_player" "1" setting and forget about the narrator voice aspect.

If you're making a map and you're having a narrator say things about the storyline here and there, then use the "as_player" "0" settings and forget about the player voice aspect.

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried to detangle the thread and what I gather is the entities (already existing) will be used and the new script object (with the "use less entities") will not be added. So there is nothing for me to do, right?

The only thing that would need to be looked at is the "why does the multiple trigger in my testmap fire only once". Is this a mistake in my testmap? Or a bug? Grayman, could you have a look please?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax