The Dark Mod Forums

Player voice-over spawnarg?

Springheel

@grayman: The entity does work - it is the trigger_multiple that does not work - it doesn't call the script function repeatedly as it should.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• 2 years later...

I just went over the thread, interesting stuff.

(I'm with Spring on this, by the way: do we even need separate channels for player voiceover and narrator voiceover? Has there ever been an FM that uses both? It's nice to have options, sure, but it feels kind of cheesy to have both narrator and main character chatting up the player. Usually the main character is the narrator. I'm all for more clear setup here.)

Not to highjack the beta testing thread, I'd say 2.06's EFX in particular exacerbates the need for these two different channels. The fact that there hasn't been an FM to utilize them fully doesn't mean that an FM in the future might not want to use the narrator channel for anything from metanarrative stuff like a storyteller commenting on the adventure you're playing out (e.g. the Bastion game or a particularly hand-holdy version of Penny Dreadful), to player internal monologue or ghostly voices in your head (again, PD3), to developer commentary. Having none of these be affected by reverb is important.

The issue of naming the volume sliders is semantic. If anyone has a good idea of how they should be labeled to better communicate to the player what they're for, go ahead, but I think they're alright as they are.

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

I think we should thoroughly test how EFX affects all types of sounds and teach mappers to use sound channels properly. For now, we know that it affects player voice (incorrect), player grunts (correct), frob loot sound (IMO, incorrect). I also have a tiny, teeny suspicion that it affects ambient music streamed via location system, but I'll need to verify it later.

Not to highjack the beta testing thread, I'd say 2.06's EFX in particular exacerbates the need for these two different channels

Unless we're to assume the player is speaking out loud, which doesn't seem likely, why would EFX affect either one?

There never was a resolution to what "player" and "narrator" even mean, so neither mappers nor players will have any idea whether or when they should use those settings, or why you might want to adjust one but not the other.

Tels just decided they both should be there, added them to the menu and then used the fact that they were already on the menu as the justification for leaving it that way. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

By the way, while we have separate channels for player and narrator, we don't have something more intuitive for the players, i.e. distinction between music and sound effects.

For now, SFX works like master volume, as it turns down player and AI footsteps, voices, music via location system and sounds placed in the speakers within the level, etc. Ambient volume affects both music via location system and sounds placed in speakers on the map, so it's kind of useless. Correct me if I'm wrong but for now sliders include less intuitive developer/mapper perspective on sound types http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Sound_Folder_Structure

I think it would be great to have something more clear, with players in mind.

Edited by Judith
  • Like 1

I am assuming that the player is speaking out loud, which has been the case in some released FMs (mission 2 of NHaT and my FM off the top of my head). Therefore my argument was for keeping the channels distinct, unless you could implement a keyword in the soundshader definition that skips EFX processing.

I do agree that the names are arbitrary and as far as the sliders (not channels) are concerned, there may be little need to adjust one but not the other. The one fringe case would be a narrator talking over the player, but we've never had a simulcast fan mission before.

Commonplace sliders are usually Master, SFX, Ambient/Music and Voice. I think that would be more understandable for players, provided the sliders actually affect the labels they are assigned (SFX being just Master is absolutely true).

As far as mappers are concerned, there needs to be more documentation about what sound goes in what channel. The only reason I know about atdm:voice is because I stumbled onto this thread half a year ago. I have to assume the Player Volume slider just doesn't affect a bunch of missions since the PC lines are just hand-placed, omni speakers that get triggered by scripts/objectives.

Edited by Spooks
  • Like 1

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

I am assuming that the player is speaking out loud,

And I've always assumed the opposite when I've added player vocals to missions...why would a thief speak out loud to himself, rather than speaking in his own head? I guess a scripted conversation with an NPC would be a case where it obviously would be out loud, and therefore should be affected by EFX.

As far as mappers are concerned, there needs to be more documentation about what sound goes in what channel.

Agreed. No one has ever made much of an effort to organize sound issues, and it shows. EFX has been implemented with virtually no discussion or thought about these issues.

Sorry If i'm missing this somewhere, which if any channel is dedicated to the player speaking out loud? This would be for damage grunts and dialogue between NPCs (which should receive EAX).

Edited by kingsal

As far as mappers are concerned, there needs to be more documentation about what sound goes in what channel.

+1

Commonplace sliders are usually Master, SFX, Ambient/Music and Voice. I think that would be more understandable for players, provided the sliders actually affect the labels they are assigned (SFX being just Master is absolutely true).

I'm not yet competent to talk about technical side of things, since I barely touched sounds in my WIP map, but just in terms of a reference, this is how it's done elsewhere. This is Dishonored 2 Audio menu.

obraz.png

Master and Video sliders do the obvious. Music affects menu music and mission background music (i.e. the one played through our equivalent of location system, and not placed in a speaker in the map). SFX slider affects all UI and menu sounds, player footstep sounds, and basically all sounds placed in the map. Speech affects internal monologue, voices of AIs placed in the map, and player grunts.

It sounds like a ton of work, but if we could modify our system to have something more similar to this, I think it would be more clear for both players and mappers.

• Like 1