The Dark Mod Forums

Deus Ex Revision The countdown has begun!

Eyeshine

I hope people have correct expectations about the mod. :mellow: Too many people watching and waiting for this mod to completely reinvent the wheel makes me nervous.

AUGMENT the wheel in this case :P

• Like 1

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

I hope people have correct expectations about the mod. :mellow: Too many people watching and waiting for this mod to completely reinvent the wheel makes me nervous.

I expect nothing as the people who did this did it as a labor of love however I do hope that o have a fun time and relive some great old nostalgic moments with a new spin on things :)

I understand what you are saying, but, I do expect quite a lot from 'Revision' because it's described as,

'Deus Ex: Revision is a large-scale re-imagining of the world of Deus Ex, bringing a tightly integrated aesthetic-oriented approach to the original gameplay'.

'The Revision project overhauls the environments and the soundtrack of Deus Ex. Where other projects fill in the detail around the edges of the game by tuning gameplay mechanics or improving textures, we focus on the visceral core of the experience, bringing new level design, aesthetic direction and world building detail'.

Frankly, if Revision doesn't make a big difference, then what's the point of it?

I posted in the Revision thread (http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/17224-deus-ex-revision/page-3) about the three DE mods I installed and what a big difference it made to the game, from what I understand 'Revision' will achieve all that those three mods achieve and more as it also overhauls the soundtrack and some new level design, sure, some DE purists might not like it but I'll happily try it if it improves how DE runs and looks on modern PC's, the biggest problem I have is that there are now mods for so many older games that I don't know which game to play next, I know, such a first world problem :rolleyes:

Edited by Eyeshine

Eyeshine. Revision does make a difference aesthetically. In terms of gameplay, it doesn't. Please don't expect Revision to reinvent the wheel in terms of gameplay. Revision had a Forum for many years and just a few cats where participating in it. It seemed that just a few people believed in the idea at first. Way before Revision got popular the mod already had some years already and Trahser (the main modder) was already exhausted of modding DX which was very complicated and frustrating. The initial idea was to mod Deus Ex and later continue with a System Shock 2 Revision.

The last version of Revision was supposed to be the final one but me and a few other members bombarded Trasher with ideas and because of the commitment to those few cats in the Forum they continued on. That was more than 5 years ago. Now it seems more of a full time job for both Trasher and Bjorn and I can imagine the pressure they might have cause of the mod being more popular now. I don't visit their Moddb page cause it makes me depressed to see other criticizing the mod so harshly without knowing the real commitment this modders really have.

BTW I really recommend you GMDX a mod made by CyberPig and its pretty much the best mod right now for DX. It's incompatible with Revision but is a nice thing to have before Revision comes out. :D

• Like 1

I will be happy if I can just replay Deus Ex again without remembering the location of every weapon mod, enemy and datacube.

I played Deus Ex too much. :(

• Like 2

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I'm looking for some of the old suggestions I made in the Old Revision Forums. They were pics of the areas with red markers indicating the changes suggested. It was a really easy way to get the idea for the new changes. Some ideas did tried to change the gameplay. I remember pushing the concept of adding windows to Osgood & Sons and snipe the hell out of it. But they never liked the concept which I agree now cause in reality doesn't make much sense for a warehouse. Some other ideas where to add more dramatic situations like the torch of the Liberty Statue encapsulated with glass panels in case there's a crossfire between the player and the NSF the bullets would break the glass and add more drama lol.

There was also a bug which I particularly enjoyed that sometimes (Not usually) Gunther escapes on his own and breaks the door as he stormed out. I found the bug brilliant.

Most of the ideas where to add ambiance and aesthetics like the sliding doors and the reception booth in the clinic as well as all the panels and computer screens with many cables in Jacobson's office to give the feel you're in a hacker's office.

Eyeshine. Revision does make a difference aesthetically. In terms of gameplay, it doesn't. Please don't expect Revision to reinvent the wheel in terms of gameplay. Revision had a Forum for many years and just a few cats where participating in it. It seemed that just a few people believed in the idea at first. Way before Revision got popular the mod already had some years already and Trahser (the main modder) was already exhausted of modding DX which was very complicated and frustrating. The initial idea was to mod Deus Ex and later continue with a System Shock 2 Revision.

The last version of Revision was supposed to be the final one but me and a few other members bombarded Trasher with ideas and because of the commitment to those few cats in the Forum they continued on. That was more than 5 years ago. Now it seems more of a full time job for both Trasher and Bjorn and I can imagine the pressure they might have cause of the mod being more popular now. I don't visit their Moddb page cause it makes me depressed to see other criticizing the mod so harshly without knowing the real commitment this modders really have.

Thanks for clarifying that, obviously, changes to the gameplay are very subjective, the only gameplay mod I've used is BioMod (based on Shifter) which is primarily concerned with Deus Ex's augmentations, with the aim of making them more balanced, but also easier to manage as most augs are now automated using energy only when they're actually working, I don't want to make the gameplay easier which some mods can do, if Revision doesn't change gameplay and incorperate similar features to BioMod, I hope it will support BioMod?

I agree that most people that criticize the modders have no idea what goes into making a mod, I have modded Skyrim extensively over the last two years with mods from the Nexus site, many people hate the Nexus site because they are quick to ban anyone that insults a modder, sure you can offer constructive criticism but the mods are free so if you don't like it, STFU and leave, no one is forcing you to use it.

BTW I really recommend you GMDX a mod made by CyberPig and its pretty much the best mod right now for DX. It's incompatible with Revision but is a nice thing to have before Revision comes out. :D

How the hell did I miss GMDX! I will try it sometime but as Revision is only a few hours away I'll try that first.

• Like 1

As expected. Square Enix made a Press Release announcing Revision: http://press.na.square-enix.com/releases/545/announcing-revision-for-the-original-deus-ex

Er I thought the mod didn't infringe on any of Se/Eidos IP, so where do they get off making an announcement for a mod/project that has f**k all to do with them..? Or is this like the time they tried to ride on our coat-tails for that ill-fated thi4f amazon contest.

Er I thought the mod was free and didn't infringe on any of Se/Eidos IP, so where do they get off making an announcement that has f**k all to do with them..?

They did the same thing with HR just they did it in secret with the mod based in HR. They are trying to attract and consolidate old fans with the new ones. Either way this will cause uproar for disc and GOG players if indeed the mod is Steam exclusive.

Either way this will cause uproar for disc and GOG players if indeed the mod is Steam exclusive.

Yes it will, I have the GOG version, it seems a bit cheeky to use moddb to publicize Revision and only release it on steam, it rather smells of Square Enix trying to boost steam sales of DE games, you can't really blame them as it's their IP but it's damned annoying.

Edited by Eyeshine
  • Like 1

Yes it will, I have the GOG version, it seems a bit cheeky to use moddb to publicize Revision and only release it on steam, it rather smells of Square Enix trying to boost steam sales of DE games, you can't really blame them as it's their IP but it's damned annoying.

Well its looks as if they got a back hander from Se/Eidos as this is now on thier page -

"Notice: This mod requires Deus Ex on Steam"

And the Eula -

By installing this software you agree to the following terms:

1. This software is provided by Caustic Creative “as is”, with no warranties of any kind. In no event shall Caustic Creative or any of its members be liable for any incidental, consequential, punitive, or any other damages whatsoever relating to the use of Deus Ex: Revision.

2. Caustic Creative does not guarantee ongoing support for Deus Ex: Revision. Updates to Deus Ex: Revision, and any changes made to it, will be made at the discretion of Caustic Creative.

3. Deus Ex: Revision may only be distributed by Caustic Creative, and through parties approved in writing by Caustic Creative and Square Enix.

4. Changes and additions made to Deus Ex: Revision by any parties other than the Caustic Creative team cannot be distributed as part of Deus Ex: Revision. Any third-party modifications made for Deus Ex: Revision must be distributed separately and be designed to function using a copy of Deus Ex with Deus Ex: Revision installed. Such modifications may only be distributed with the prior written approval of Square Enix.

5. Videos of Deus Ex: Revision, such as “Let’s Play” videos, are permitted by Caustic Creative, but if you wish to create a video or image showing Deus Ex: Revision content, please credit Caustic Creative accordingly. Please contact Caustic Creative for clarification and permission if you are uncertain about the use of game assets or recordings, at contact@dx-revision.com. If you wish to create or distribute videos that contain Square Enix content, including any game assets or trademarks from the original Deus Ex, please see Square Enix’s Material Usage Policy [LINK TO: https://cdn.sqexeu.com/mtl/marketing/%2FDXSite%2FSquare%20Enix%20Material%20Usage%20Policy%20English.pdf]

6. Square Enix owns (i) the copyright in Deus Ex; (ii) the trademarks in DEUS EX, the Deus Ex logo, EIDOS, EIDOS INTERACTIVE, the Eidos logo, ION STORM, the Ion Storm logo, SQUARE ENIX, and the Square Enix logo; and (iii) other intellectual property rights in its various games and products. Caustic Creative does not and cannot authorize any person to use, reproduce, distribute, perform, display, or create derivative works of the original Deus Ex or any other Square Enix intellectual property. Please contact Square Enix before making any use of such content.

7. Deus Ex: Revision was not created, distributed, endorsed, or quality checked by Square Enix. In no event shall Square Enix, its affiliates, or any of their respective directors, officers, employees, representatives, or agents be liable for any damages relating to Deus Ex: Revision.

Er... dosent section 7. contradict the announcement Se made then then...? up to thier old tricks then...

And the Eula -

Er... dosent section 7. contradict the announcement Se made then then...? up to thier old tricks then...

7. Deus Ex: Revision was not created, distributed, endorsed, or quality checked by Square Enix. In no event shall Square Enix, its affiliates, or any of their respective directors, officers, employees, representatives, or agents be liable for any damages relating to Deus Ex: Revision.

by authorizing a fan-created mod for the first Deus Ex game originally released in 2000. Called ‘Revision’,

Yeah, doesn't 'authorizing' have the same implication as 'endorsed', if you authorize something then surely you must have endorsed it?

Can't complain at 99p for DE GOTY on steam but I have an aversion to steam, they just have too much of a monopoly and control over the game d/load market for my liking and when I had an issue with Portal trying to get a reply and help from them was a very frustrating procedure.

Edited by Eyeshine

This is not ethical. As much as I like the mod and the mod makers I think they made a mistake by affiliating to SE/EIDOS. Asking people who already have the game to buy it on steam to play a mod is not a good thing for the modding community.

Who asked for that?

On topic: Weeeee! :)

• Like 1