The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Golden Skull by Sotha (2015/10/24)

Sotha

The Golden Skull  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Appearance

• 1 (Poor)
    • 2 (Could be better)
    • 3 (Average)
    • 4 (Good)
    • 5 (Great)
  2. 2. Gameplay

• 1 (Poor)
    • 2 (Could be better)
    • 3 (Average)
    • 4 (Good)
    • 5 (Great)
  3. 3. Halloween

• 1 (Poor)
    • 2 (Could be better)
    • 3 (Average)
    • 4 (Good)
    • 5 (Great)

I'm afraid it glitched on me: the door on Emily's cell failed to trigger its target properly the first time I opened it. After some experimentation and checking the map in DR I managed to make it work (and tick off the objective) by closing and re-opening the door, allowing me to complete the mission. If nobody else is seeing this then hopefully it was just a random glitch at an unfortunate moment.

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

I released Emily, and she followed me upstairs and was killed by some guards when she threatened the sleeping Lady. Not sure how I 'saved' her.

After that, the mission dead-ended for me because I got stuck in the skull room. The alerted guards kept wandering in and out, and kept turning the skull display light back on when I managed to turn it off. They only left the room for anywhere between 4 - 10 seconds, so I was never able to unlock the skull's case and complete the mission.

I might try again later on in the week. I need to grab the skull first, save Emily second.

Was a nice small mansion mission and i found no bugs. Only the player's voice was too loud.

I am once more impressed by the small amount of time it seems to take for an experienced mapper to make something enjoyable.

Played on hard (but guess by the time spent building that there is no difference between difficulties anyway):

I blackjacked my way to the dungeon (only left the eleet guard awake) and found emily without seeing her (stand in the shadow behind the opening door). As i realized that she is a zombie i decided to put her to rest for good and followed her upstairs where i killed her with two arrows before she could alert the eleet guard. Then i darkened the foyer with water arrows but decided the annoying eleet guard had to go regardless - so killed him by turning him into a hedgehog wasting a full clip of broadheads. Then i got the skull using the ornate key and some climbing and looted the remaining stuff (got it all).

By then i was sure that i have to behead the noble to prevent him from doing that evilness again. But i stored him right at the starting point with all the other people before entering the dungeon and so the mission ended as i approached him.

I liked the well-timed movement patterns of the maid and servant. It felt like they where triggered by approaching a position (but i don't think, they are) and i had difficulties to get em down silently at first. Missed the second story that ceiling suggested to be there. I searched for a stair case leading up but only found that one leading down into the dungeon.

Edited by Abusimplea

Fantastic for a small focused mission release!

You really did a good job of building the dread leading up to Emily's discovery.

The zombie did catch me off-guard on the first run and caused a hilarious amount of havok by killing guards and such.

The skull itself was tricky to acquire but I managed to steadily douse candles and lamps until it was an attainable goal.

It was a sloppy job with lots of alerting and I kept escaping to the rafters. (Something I quite enjoy but it feels a little strange

for the AI to lose you so easily up there.) Still there's nothing quite like hiding in the rafters while the guards scurry below

then firing a noise arrow and jumping down next to an exit while they are distracted.

The only bug, if you could call it that, was getting stuck between the dining-room table-top and a seat.

I doubt much can be done about that unless you wanna make the seats immovable and put some playerclip between the table and the seats

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Congratulations to the release, Sotha. :-)

I'll play this as soon as I finish Requiem.

• Like 1

Finished with no KO's on hardest - whatever that means

Given that the second lockpick needs to be bought can the mission be completed without it

I took great pleasure in seeing Emily get her revenge

EDIT Played again and this time both lockpicks were in the starting gear - most odd

Edited by Oldjim

Fantastic little mission Sotha! Amazing that you built that in just 19 hours 16 hours!

It took me too long than I care to admit for finding the secret door too :P

Edited by Goldwell

Played through this and I am happy, that you still manage to surprise with your new releases - the sounds while heading down to the dungeon are placed really well, a typical "sotha moment" (an occurence that the player couldn´t have expected in a FM, but is surprising in a positive way), great stuff. I found two small glitches in this mission. For the first one, I got stuck between a chair and something placed on the table for some seconds. The second one happened to the guard with the dagger that went to sleep after I had alerted him and he didn´t find me - I tried to knock him out with the blackjack and he started to float in the air and each strike after the first one put him further up in the air until he got stuck in the ceiling near a corner of the room. Otherwise great job as usual :)

Edited by Cookie