The Dark Mod Forums

Belcher Concept Acn1021

Springheel

Where is the project definition thread?  Can a link be provided?

Being a concept artist, I hardly ever delve into the other threads and there are lots of threads to try and figure out which one you're referring to  :)

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=159

The second post in this thread is the important one. :)

The aim of this thread is to collect all information about what we want to do on a more detailed level but not TO detailed. So discussion about conecpt art should be here, but the information that this beast should be done shouild be posted there as well.

You should also look through the document and add items in the lists, if you think that they should be included and I forgot them. For example: I listed a number texture themes and what each theme must provide for. If you notice that a theme, or a texture for a theme is missing, the list it, there so we can keep track of it. You don't need to be specific, but specific enough that we know what you are talking about. Of course even if you are an artist, that doesn't mean that you may not look through the other sections to check if we forgot something.

If you decide here that you want to do a belcher but the coders don't know about this, you can not animate your model afterwards. :)

Edited by sparhawk

Gerhard

I think it should have a bit more of an grotesque/sinister look. Right now it looks almost lika a cute little innocent puppy (well, almost). Also, a bit more hair and stuff would be nice. :D

I like your chemistry diagram! Nice touch. ;)

Puppy? *shudders* I wouldn't want to meet that thing. :lol:

I always thought Burricks were kind of cute in the original. Especially the way they whimpered when you hit them. This concept is looking good, but take a closer look at the back legs...they look a little strange, like they need another joint or something.

but take a closer look at the back legs...they look a little strange, like they need another joint or something.

Not quite understanding what you mean, care to elaborate?

Right now it looks almost lika a cute little innocent puppy

That was kind of my intent. If you look at the burricks in T1, they are pretty puppy like. THey're not evil creatures, they just attack whoever invades thier territory. PLus, the burricks always sounded like horny dogs if you ask me.

Edited by god_is_my_goldfish

http://www.thirdfilms. com

A Thief's Path trailer is now on Youtube!

If possible, would you be able to load smaller images of the drawings and link to them with the tags in this thread rather than a listing of links? That'll make it easier to see the drawings. Springheel made this comment for some of my drawings a while back and I think it makes sense :) It helps to view them and compare them. For drawings that contain extreme detail, keep the smaller images, but link to the larger versions with http:// links.

Just a thought. I'm on 56K dial-up and it takes a while for those images to load :P

And yes, I like the drawings also, but I agree a joint might be missing in the hind legs. I haven't studied animals a lot so I usually mess up the structure of the hind legs myself because I haven't commited their joint and muscle structure to memory yet. But I have a book on drawing animals, and if we're to take the common structure of animal legs, then another joint should be drawn.

There seem to be 4 main joints in each hind leg (starting at the hip, working down) for animals. (This might be easier to see in rams, deer, bulls, horses, etc.) It looks like your creature has 3 joints and would thus have some mobility stiffness to it. Not a bad thing, just a visual 'non sequitur' (does not follow) thing that I think people are picking up on.

Not quite understanding what you mean, care to elaborate?

The back legs have a single joint that bends backwards, making it unclear exactly how they would walk. Their forelegs don't look terribly useful in that regard. Adding another joint at the top or bottom of the leg might help. Take a look at some reference pics...a Trex might be useful or the back leg of a deer.

Ah, it's missing the little "ankle joint" right before the foot connects to the leg. I think it's used for balance.

It could walk as is, but would move funny, the foot wouldn't have a very large range of movement.

Edited by god_is_my_goldfish

http://www.thirdfilms. com

A Thief's Path trailer is now on Youtube!

More likely missing a thigh I'm afraid.

*jay goes looking for a bit of paper to scribble on*

Anatomy and Phisiology 101

Confusion arises because Human Beens are a bit odd. Our tarsus (we have a few so its tarsals) are in our feet. And we also walk on our feet, which is just daft. Just about everything else that isn't a monkey walks on their toes, not their feet. What looks like it might be a a back to front knee is actually the ankle. Like so.

anatomy101.jpg

Oh and the bulging muscle on the Belcher's tarsus is back to front. You had it right in mini diagram where you compare scale to a human. So is the Belchers inflatable Belch sack going to be coloured (like a frogs) as if to attract a mate.

Look everyone. Its a kitten.

cat-frog.jpg

Notice the really long foot, the knee and thigh?

Edited by jay pettitt

I've done a redline to suggest some modifications to the leg.

Acn1021(belcherfull).jpg

Also, can we keep the concept art at 72 dpi? This picture is absolutely huge...24.4M in photoshop! This kind of rough drawing only needs to be 72 dpi and a maximum of about 800px wide.

Monitors do not display anything higher than 72dpi. Anything higher than that is only useful if you are printing them out. On a monitor, it just makes it appear larger.

Depends on your resolution really

Nope, it doesn't. Trust me, I do this stuff all the time. :) Monitors are not designed to display more than 72 dpi. If you make a drawing at 300dpi, the monitor has to increase the size of the picture because it can't squeeze any more pixels into a given space. You aren't gaining any detail at all, you're just making the picture bigger. When you PRINT a picture, a 72dpi and 300dpi come out at the same size, so the 300dpi has a better resolution. Not so with monitors.

Try it yourself. Take a 300dpi image, load it in a webbrowser, and then shrink it to 72dpi and do the same thing. It will get smaller, but will not have lost any resolution.

Edited by Springheel