The Dark Mod Forums

Oculus Rift - The Dark Mod - Vorpx

BuckleBean

I managed to get the video capture working: https://youtu.be/BKYVq4jgy5k

Turning on mirroring in vorpx was the key as was using Dxtory to record the video. Unfortunately I could not get it to work with any of the free video recorders I tried (Shadowplay or Openbroadcast). FRAPS sort of worked, but it locked the game's framerate to the recording framerate so it isn't ideal: major judder unless you record at 75 fps. Maybe there's a way to turn that off in the paid version I don't know.

• Like 1

I feel like there should be a not-too-complicated way to get the code to make the system know to render skybox textures without any parallax so they effectively look infinitely far away. And it's trivial to move the gui elements closer to the center. A few tweaks like that, package them in a patch, and seems like that would seal the deal.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Turning on mirroring in vorpx was the key as was using Dxtory to record the video. Unfortunately I could not get it to work with any of the free video recorders I tried (Shadowplay or Openbroadcast). FRAPS sort of worked, but it locked the game's framerate to the recording framerate so it isn't ideal: major judder unless you record at 75 fps. Maybe there's a way to turn that off in the paid version I don't know.

Well done! I couldn't get mirroring to work for some odd reason, but no need to anymore as long as you're able. I've got a ton of buttons on my mouse, which really helps with the whole "not being able to see the keyboard" thing. But voice commands are brilliant. I'm still jealous of your framerates. I may try a fresh install of the game & see if that sorts me out.

Very nice, I watched the video with Google Cardboard and even then I could tell that the 3D effect and the atmosphere in general is amazing.

The sky looks really interesting, reminded of Asterix & Obelix and their fear that the sky may fall on their heads.

What's about the crackling sound at the end though? Sounds like poor resampling to me.

Well done! I couldn't get mirroring to work for some odd reason, but no need to anymore as long as you're able. I've got a ton of buttons on my mouse, which really helps with the whole "not being able to see the keyboard" thing. But voice commands are brilliant. I'm still jealous of your framerates. I may try a fresh install of the game & see if that sorts me out.

I might just have a higher tolerance to the framerates than you. Most of the time they are "just good enough" and can vary a lot depending on location. I was just out in the rain (3rd mission of NHAT) and it was a juddery hell - it was great to get inside the mansion! :ph34r:

I might just have a higher tolerance to the framerates than you. Most of the time they are "just good enough" and can vary a lot depending on location. I was just out in the rain (3rd mission of NHAT) and it was a juddery hell - it was great to get inside the mansion! :ph34r:

One TDM protip I'm sure you're aware of is to make sure you close the door behind you. I've been playing Behind Closed Doors (pun intended) and remembered this after seeing big framedrops while entering or exiting a building. Definitelty helps. This mission is incredible, by the way.

2 random notes:

1. It looks to me like you may have head bob activated in the video, though it could just be positional tracking. This sort of thing is a matter of taste, but it makes me a bit dizzy in the rift. For anyone like me, there's a link in the original post that provides instructions for creating an autocommands file that lets you bind a key to turn this off. Unfortunately, it has to be pressed everytime you load a save. I'd love to see a menu option to toggle this on/off.

2. Can't say enough about the HRTF audio. Seriously, it enhances the experience a great deal and I highly recommend it to everyone, without reservation.

Edited by BuckleBean

• 3 weeks later...

That's good news because it means you can open any map in DR and put in that skybox or another one that works, so you never have the problem. You guys are checking off one bug after another.

Moving the gui elements more to the center is really easy to do too.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

• 1 month later...

A new vorpX version out that supports CV1 (consumer oculus rift). Unfortunately it has broken TDM implementation. :unsure:

Hopefully this is temporary.

When launching the game, the screen is just a series of horizontal lines. I can hear it running though.

Have you tried it BuckleBean?

[edit] Ralf from vorpX thinks its an OpenGL thing - he's going to try to fix it tomorrow.

Edited by grodenglaive

A new vorpX version out that supports CV1 (consumer oculus rift). Unfortunately it has broken TDM implementation. :unsure:

Hopefully this is temporary.

When launching the game, the screen is just a series of horizontal lines. I can hear it running though.

Have you tried it BuckleBean?

[edit] Ralf from vorpX thinks its an OpenGL thing - he's going to try to fix it tomorrow.

Hey, I figured it out. I've seen this behavior before. It's definitely an opengl thing. You get that messed up image whenever attempting to use Z-normal or Z-adaptive with an opengl game, as far as I can tell. It's fine with G3D and no 3D. For some reason after this update, it seems the profile we hijacked for TDM has defaulted to one of the Z3D methods. So the fix is simple, right? We just need to set it back to G3D. Except, you can't see the screen! And I don't think there are hotkeys for changing 3D method. If you don't want to wait for a fix form Ralf, here's what you do:

1. Load up the game - you should hear audio from the main menu

2. Wait a good 10-20 seconds or so (you're waiting for the initial vorpx splash screen time out)

3. Press "delete" to open up the vorpx menu - remember you still can't see anything

4. Using your arrow keys, press down twice to select 3D mode

5. Using your arrow keys, press right or left to cycle through the modes until you get G3D - you'll know because you'll finally be able to see something on the screen

Just tried this myself and tested it out and it works. If it doesn't work, you may have not waited long enough for the vorpx splash thingy or maybe you hit one of the arrow keys more or less than you needed. Just alt+F4 out of the game and try again. It's crazy to troubleshoot like this completely in the dark, but we're thieves, right? We've handled worse. Also, if you don't mid playing in just 2D & don't feel like messing with all of this, the original TDM.exe launches just fine. Just no 3D.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Now working on the HTC-Vive!

I uploaded my vorpX profile if any one wants it (I think it will change your xbox mapping as well though, so be warned).

It looks good, much cleaner than DK2. Like before, you need to set a custom resolution in Nvidia. I used 1350x1500 @ 60Hz. It doesn't need to be active, just present for the game to see it.

Edit the Darkmod.cfg and change these lines to fix the resolution and screen ratio:

seta r_customHeight "1500"
seta r_customWidth "1350"
seta r_fovRatio "0.9"
In the vorpX settings I used:
Geometry mode
Separation (3d strength) 0.45 (works for my 58 mm ipd)
Letterbox1
Zoom 0.92
The left and right screen edges are very slightly cropped. If you turn off the vorpX ambience in edge peek, the cropped edges will be black so it is not noticeable. I tried higher zoom levels to fill the screen, but it causes distortion. Actually, I tried a myriad of resolutions, screen ratios and zoom levels and this was the best I could get it.
Edited by grodenglaive
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi grodenglaive,

I've been meaning to write, but I'm sad to say that I had a death in the family & have been tied up with family business the past few weeks. I got my Vive & my Rift almost a month ago, now. I have yet to try TDM with the Vive, since it got vorpx support, but plan give it a shot with your profile, which is very appreciated. Last night, I loaded it up on the Rift CV1 with my old settings & was happy to see it hook. I still suffer from some of the same framerate issues I had before (insert sad face here), so disabling the 3D is still the most comfortable for me. I'm interest to compare the experience, Rift Vs Vive. Rift has the proprietary asynchronous timewarp, which goes a very long way in dealing with low fps/dropped frames. Valve's version is reprojection & I'm not sure how it works. Additionally, vorpx has a custom version, so I really don't know what's entirely at play when not hitting a solid 90fps on the vive. One thing's for sure, maintaining 90fps is going to be tough, especially when TDM works best locked at 60 (or 62ish, it seems). With the Rift's ATW, it's very smooth when locked at 60. Sorry for babbling.

The main reason I'm writing is I noticed my DK2 settings didn't work any longer with the new headset, too much warping. It looks like you've spent some time doing the balancing act between the resolution/fov ratio/letterbbox1/zoom/etc... Before I messed with that, I noticed the 2D FOV setting in the vorpx menu. Increasing that actually mitigated the warping. Going all the way up to 1.0 got rid of it completely, but the fov was a bit narrow for my taste, so I backed it down to 0.75. There's a slight warp, but barely. Anyway. it's one more parameter to tweak if you're feeling OCD & still have some warping or want to try to get rid of the cropping.

I'm sad to say I noticed the brightness issue, too. The game is much brighter than before, which does detract from the experience. It's The DARK mod, after all. I have no idea what's causing it, but it's there on the rift, too. I wonder if there's a difference between the 2. I spent some time playing T2X with both headsets. The Vive had much better contrast, was much darker. The Rift was a bit washed out. The Rift was smoother, though, despite hitting 90fps for both (gotta love the older games).

Bottom line, I'm pleased we still have TDM in VR & look forward to a future where someone develops a proper stealth game made for VR. The closest thing I've seen on the horizon aside from Budget Cuts is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amOPcQT-yRg. Plot-wise, it looks all kinds of crazy, but the gameplay begins around 1:00, and looks very "Thief" to me. I've been in touch with the dev & he's confirmed it's heavily inspired by Thief. I think the steam greenlight campaign did not go well, so I'm not sure what the deal is at this point.

Take care

Edited by BuckleBean

For the brightness, for the time being someone could make a little script, or even just a smart find-replace, to lower brightness values on all lights in the map file 20% or whatever.

Edit: It might be possible to fix just by lowering the world_ambient value, since that one value controls the global ambient over the whole map.

Sorry to hear that Bucklebean, I hope your family is doing well. That's awesome you have both rift and vive. I ended up cancelling my rift order and spent the money on a 980Ti instead, but I still wish I had both for testing purposes.

I haven't tried TDM since I posted that; actually I haven't played any seated games at all. I'm having too much fund with the roomscale stuff - love those vive controllers.:)

The 2D fov adjuster is interesting. I hadn't played with that much, not sure what it did.

Performance is identical to the DK2. Smooth when looking around (due to vorpX fluidsync I guess), but you can see the rest of the game is running at a lower framerate.

For the brightness, I'm hoping Reshade updates to support direct mode. Alternatively, if you run vive in extended mode you can adjust the brighness/contrast, but I was having trouble getting vorpX to work properly.

Editing a mission to change values should work, that's a good idea Demagogue. I wish I could find the time, I haven't even learned to use DarkRadiant yet. I have too many interests to focus on one thing long enough. :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just got my vive this week as well :) Was talking to Biker about running TDM and did some searching and found this thread. Great info contained here in. Now I'm wondering if I should fork out for vorpX and see how it goes but I'm guessing I'm going to be struggling to run it at a playable level. 3D would probably be out of the question entirely right now.

My system has 2 780gtx's (non Ti) but I've read a lot about absent SLi support and I doubt a single one could handle it. Suppose to be as good as a 970 but Nvidia stops updating their drivers for older cards (love that...).

I've just been running some of the demos that are more taxing like Budget Cuts, Tilt Brush, and NVfunhouse and seen some frame issues already. NVfunhouse is gawd awful performance but that's expected.

TDM is an older engine and easier to run but with vorpX, 3D, yada yada... I'm sure it would be a slide show if not utilizing SLi. :\

Wonderful to see this works though and I'm going to get in to it after a gfx card update.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Lux - I realize this post is months late, but I wanted to say that if you end up getting vorpx, even if you can't do 3D, it may be worth checking out. Additionally, the Thief games work great & require less performance. I've played T2X in VR recently & it's great. I'd be happy to answer any questions or help with settings. I may need to update my OP actually as things have changed some with the consumer headsets. Grodenglaive's vive profile is nice to have. I'll upload one for the rift some time after the next vorpx update comes out. There's currently a bug preventing me from saving profiles. : /

In the mean time, I recommend you check out the Steamdolls demo for the Vive: http://store.steampowered.com/app/461100/. It's an adventure game for the Vive inspired by Thief. The atmosphere/environment is very Thief. There's a bit of craziness going on with the story, but it's the only thing official out there that feels like being inside of a Thief game.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! I ended up going with a 1080 and perf is great with most everything. Still haven't pulled the trigger on Vorpx yet though. I've played 1 game of Onward and Spellfighter and I have to say.... locomotion doesn't make me dizzy or sick but it makes my entire body ...like...hot. Like I'll start sweating in like 10min and its a lot to take so i'm not sure how I would do with games that don't have head movement at all. Probably be too jarring. Feels too much like sliding and not actually moving. I've even tried it seated and its the same. It may subside after a bit of use, not sure.

Thanks, BuckleBean, I'll check it out.

Edited by Lux

@ Lux, you're right about the sliding feeling. Artificial locomotion kind of feels like riding around on a segway. Stealth games feel more like scooting around in a wheelchair because I'm crouched 90% of the time. There's plenty of native VR games to keep you busy. The community is split on vorpx. It can be fiddly & many people feel it's not worth the effort. I got into vorpx in 2014 when there was far less to do with a headset & there were virtually no full scale games. I've found it to be quite worth my while. I wish there was a demo/trial, that would really help folks decide if it's something they want to mess with because you really have to try it to know whether or not it's your cup of tea.

On another note, someone just got Doom 3 BFG working on the Vive: https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/5dqlnd/doom_3_bfg_mod_updated/. It looks fantastic. Movement speed felt a bit too fast for me & the locomotion controls weren't perfect. But when I got to the the area near the beginning knowing i was about to face an enemy, I "noped out." Just too scary!

And if you haven't tried google earth yet, you absolutely must.