The Dark Mod Forums

Windows 7/8 update setting: Recommended - Set to security updates only

Bikerdude

Even though we have 2 other Win10 related threads (Win10 tech, and M$ data slurp), I consider this issue important enough to warranty its own thread.

It was the case that the infamous Win10 download/updgrade that came down via windows update was optional, but as mentioned in the M$ data slurp thread this is now a recomended update. So if a user has set Windows update to automatically install optional updates as well as recommended updates, the following points/issue's arrise -

• Some metered connections provide as little as 40GB of data allowance a month - this unwanted & unessesary update will eat into said allowance, not that M$ gives a flying F***.
  • If you are on a slow connection, 2Mb or lower - this update will be take a ages, thus will impact any application that connects to the internet and potentially the whole PC if its a low end PC.
  • Some Windows 8 computers(mostly tablets/laptops) have as little as 32GB of storage space. Should the user decline the installation of Windows 10 after it has been downloaded the update will not be automatically deleted and so -
    • Windows 8 needs 20gb for 32bit and 24gb for 64bit, and if a user has any application/games installed with this insidious update they will potentially run out of storage space which causes another set of problems.
    • And M$ seems to have missed the point - if a user dosen't want the update then this data should be deleted period and the update never offered again.
  • M$ has proven time and time again, they can't be trusted to roll out updates that don't break/brick your Windows installation(and this is just another example of thier untrustworthyness) - so I am strongly urging/recomending that unless your comfertable with manually monitoring windows updates then simply untick optional/recomended updates and only have Security updates ticked.
  • If you are a Windows 7 or 8/8.1 user, then you have the option of turning off automatic updates - The automatic Windows 10 download has been shown to take up between 3.5GB and 6GB on a user’s computer (placed in the hidden "$Windows.~BT" folder, under the windows folder).

One of M$ few and pointless arguments is applications like GoogleChrome/Firefox update in the background, but they are apps not a whole bloody OS and we have the option of "turning that shit off"...!!! And on that subject I recomend the following -

• GoogleChrome -
    • Disable the updates withing the applciation - http://www.wintips.org/disable-google-chrome-automatic-update
    • Or go the whole hog and disable the googleupdate service that always seems to be running in the background (as I dont trust google, I update when I feel like it)
      • Start>Run>Services.msc disable services gupdate & gupdate
      • Rright click on Computer>Manage>Task Scheduler, left click to open and then select Task Scheduler Library and either select and disable or delete both the Google services listed.
  • Firefox - Click on the main menu>Tools>Options>Advanced>Update>Firefox Update - then select your option. Nice and simple, no f***ing about like the above

Thanks for the update. Microsoft has lost a lot of points in my book with this move.

This is not how you win someone over to a new OS.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

Thanks, will definitely check my settings. Luckily my main desktop PC has been rigged down for a couple of months because we've moved to a new music studio space, so the slurp updates haven't been installed.

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik

If you are a Windows 7 or 8/8.1 user, then you have the option of turning off automatic updates - The automatic Windows 10 download

Huh? Win 7 automatically downloads Win10?

Atm the windows 10 selection in windows update, is supposed to be and has been reported as being optional. And it been reported that M$ has said it will be changing it to recomended next year.

But... I have clearly found on my Win7 & 8.1 PC's, that its been changed to recommended already! So the upshot is when you run windows update (either manually or automatically) windows 10 will get downloaded and then try to upgrade your PC.

Its was reported that Micro$oft stated that it should still be an optional update, and it being set to recommended was accidental. But...with all the bollox with & surrounding windows 10, I firmly suspect M$ are a bunch of lying bastards.

Ah, the Win 10 drama continues ^^

M$ really are hit and miss... Seems to me that since XP it's been every other OS bad every other good. XP good, Vista bad, 7 good, 8 bad... so by that logic 10 should be a keeper. But hearing about all the compatibility issues, and the fact that it still in a "cloud beta" stage makes me wary... just wondering if it's worth nabbing for my little 8.1 laptop that I don't use for gaming anyway. I'm thinking that way I have a key for free when (or rather if) it actually becomes a respectable OS in the future. But I'm also afraid it will totally brick my machine, which is finicky already with 8.1... How have you guys of the forum treated Win 10?

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

Windows 8.1 is perfectly useable, once you get and install "Classic shell" - http://www.classicshell.net/

Regarding windows 10, almost all of us are avoiding it like the plague. And the reasons for that are -

1. Spyware - M$ sending unnecessary amounts of telemetry back to home base, that also contains worrying amounts of private user data.
  2. Stability - Despite being at retail version, its IMHO its still not stable enough to considered a daily OS. I tested on release and wasn't impressed.
  3. Gui - the white-washing of the interface just f**ks me/people off no end, they started it in 8 and office 2013 and refused to learn from user feedback.
  4. Misc - I found if I enabled (fairly modest) whitelist outbound blocking on my internet router, Win10's internet responsiveness would fall through the floor. All browsers would takes ages to resolve sites and the OS itself would actually become lumpy/laggy - see point 1.
  5. Windows update - not being able to control what gets installed on "MY PC", is a massive NO! NO! (or in cockney 'they can f**k right off!')
  6. Advertising - it wasn't in at launch but there are reports of 'recommended' apps appearing in the start menu, WTF! I would like to assume Classic Shell would prevent these ads.

At this point in time the only version of Win10 I am willing to test/use is the enterprise version, that reportedly - you can disable ALL telemetry and fully control Windows update.

Edited by Bikerdude

Windows 8.1 is perfectly useable, once you get and install "Classic shell" - http://www.classicshell.net/

Regarding windows 10, almost all of us are avoiding it like the plague. And the reasons for that are -

1. Spyware - M$ sending unessary amounts of telemetry back to home base, that also contains worring amounts of private user data.
  2. Stability - Despire being at retail version, its IMHO its still not stable enough to considered a daily OS. I tested on release and it was seriously flakey.
  3. Gui - the white-washing of the interface just f**ks me/people off no end, they started it in 8 and office 2013 and refused to learn from user feedback.
  4. Misc - I found if I enabled (fairly modest) whitelist outbound blocking on my internet router, Win10's internet responsivity would fall through the floor. All browsers would takes ages to resolve sites and the OS itself would actually become lumpy/laggy - see point 1.
  5. WIndows update - not being able to control what gets installed on "MY PC", is a massive NO! NO! (or in cockney 'they can f**k right off!')
  6. Advertising - it wasent in at lauch but there are reports of 'recomended' apps apearing in the start menu, WTF! I would like to assime CLassic Shell would prevent these ads.

At this point in time the only version of Win10 I am willing to test/use is the enterprise version, that reportatly you can disable ALL telemetry and fully control Windows update.

Wow, that bad huh? Sounds like I'll be staying away from this one. Might have to check out classic shell as well, I just cannot get used to the stupid/childish touch optimized bs that is the stock Win 8 interface.

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

How have you guys of the forum treated Win 10?

c097cbc68ab5fa339883f73d18439dfc.jpg

I have no intention of updating windows to 10, Win 7 desktop for gaming, I don't game online, a cheap laptop with Linux Mint for online, I have no need to use windows online, most people don't need windows just for simple surfing and social media, but that's another matter altogether.

Edited by Eyeshine