The Dark Mod Forums

Another model request: floorstanding and desktop Hookah

Bikerdude

There is this "Free" one at Turbosquid:

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/free-basic-hookah-3d-model/725793

Demagogue would have to comment on whether it's usable since the license terms state that you must

"take reasonable measures" to prevent users from exporting the asset:

b. Access to Stock Media Products. You must take all reasonable and industry standard measures to prevent other parties from gaining access to Stock Media Products. Stock Media Products must be contained in proprietary formats so that they cannot be opened or imported in a publicly available software application or framework, or extracted without reverse engineering. You may NOT publish or distribute Stock Media Products in any open format, or format encrypted with decryptable open standards (such as WebGL or an encrypted compression archive).

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Demagogue would have to comment on whether it's usable since the license terms state that you must

"take reasonable measures" to prevent users from exporting the asset:

I'm no lawyer, but basic reading comprehension suggests that there's no way such a licence is compatible with distributing such assets in widely-supported ASE and LWO formats as part of a game (and editor) whose source code is freely available. You'd need a hell of a lot of legal creativity to argue that any kind of "reverse engineering" is necessary to load the asset into Lightwave or Blender once it was distributed with TDM (unless unzipping a PK4 counts as "reverse engineering").

Here's what I have so far

O63e8aE.png

At the blocking out phase at the moment. I've mixed and matched from your reference images. The next step is making the tube - one of Blender's advantages here is that I can use a 3-sided circle as a cross-section (assuming it looks decent) for that and make it follow along a bezier curve, making it worlds easier to deform the curve naturally than in DarkRadiant where I'd have had to manually rotate each vert square by hand until it looks alright.

1176 tris at the moment, but I'm intending to split the model up into sections and tone down the screw modifier's circle subdivisions wherever possible to make savings, as well as other slimming measures.

For the texture I'm intending to use gen_ornate01_iron or words to that effect and either a translucent colorme glass or the swiling red healthpotion texture for the bulbous part (green in reference 2). I could instead use the silver teapot texture if you're alright with having a seam on one side? The ideal would be to use that great pattern on the third reference image but I'm yet to figure out how to turn a perspective photograph into a flat plane - maybe you know how?

Here’s the hookah:

6PyTQQy.jpg

www.dropbox.com/s/qi0iijsceksn5b8/dragofer_hookah.zip?dl=0

Specs:

- 1974 polys, of which 800 are shadowcasting or shadowmesh
- Silver, gold or brass
- Red or blue glass
- Found under kitchen/hookah.lwo
- I’ve included material definitions for noshadows gold and brass teapot textures, you won’t need them if you’ve already got my sphere lamps

I was going to say it ought to be fairly easy to make in Blender (it's a simple surface of revolution after all), and it looks like Dragofer's already most of the way there.

Yes, for the main body it was as straightforward as drawing an outline and letting Blender make it circular with x subdivisions. That kind of stuff goes very fast there. The rope curve did need a fair bit of manual labour until all the bulges were ironed out from all perspectives though.

Here's a tileable mask for that pattern:

http://goo.gl/photos/h6aGng78Z17YEU2u5

Thanks, and I'll be curious to figure out how you do all that when the time comes.

Dragofer: Excellent! :) If possible, this should be added to the mod's core assets right away!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Wow that was fast and makes the license question quickly moot. We should do that more often. I was just looking at my Dishonored screenshots, one scene of which has a hooka room with lots of smoke. IMO you should have different color skins too.

BTW, on that license, my feeling would be to contact the creator directly and ask them their intentions, sometimes these licenses get thrown on without them thinking it through, and then we have something in writing to protect ourselves if they're cool with it, or know they're not cool with it right off. And if no answer, then it is pretty explicit about the kind of format it needs to be in, which I think id4 won't cooperate, since it uses open formats.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Thanks, I'm glad you're receiving it like this :)

Looking back over that screenshot I figured that base would be useful as a scrying orb with some tweaks, so went ahead with it. If anyone wanted to have a scrying orb in their mission, here's one. Imagine walking up to an orb with swirling glass, frobbing it, then seeing a blurry, mysterious cutscene.

qUhd8Ly.jpg

www.dropbox.com/s/m3btutp1o7nv47e/dragofer_scryingorb.zip?dl=0

(the skin file in this zip contains skins for both the hookah and the scrying orb, overwrite if using both. And it uses the noshadows materials from the hookah zip)

I was just looking at my Dishonored screenshots, one scene of which has a hooka room with lots of smoke. IMO you should have different color skins too.

Yep, there's 3 metals and 2 glasses. On top of that it might be easy to take the glass diffusemap and recolour it in GIMP to get new colours.

Edited by Dragofer

Classy!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved