The Dark Mod Forums

Making bow zoom an optional mechanic?

Wallace

Yep. In script/tdm_weapon_arrow.script there is a line

#define ARROW_ZOOMAMOUNT    60

Changing it to

#define ARROW_ZOOMAMOUNT    90

will disable the bow zoom. If you are using a different fov as 90°, you'll have to set it to the specific number.

To apply this change, extract the file from the pk4 (can be opened like a zip file, as they are zips) and put it in a script folder in your darkmod installation (you have to create said folder). Alter the file there. This file will than override the one in the pk4 (literally).

• Like 3

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

First request I think I've seen to have it made optional. Unlikely to happen when it's not bothering the majority, however someone here may be able to help you disable it on your own install.

That sounds like a minor code change to me. So it may get implemented if it does not get forgotten. Best is to file a bug tracker entry.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

My vote is that it should take more than one request per decade before something becomes an official option.

"Choice Overload"

My vote is that it should take more than one request per decade before something becomes an official option.

"Choice Overload"

Even though I made the request, I fully agree. But still, is not more customisation and player control a good thing if it doesn't ultimately detract from the experience? I feel like the game is assuming I want to zoom which in many cases I don't.

But still, is not more customisation and player control a good thing if it doesn't ultimately detract from the experience?

Not always, no. That was the point of the link.

But in this case, you, and anyone else who wants to, can customize it to your taste in the way Obsttorte showed.

Something like this should be put on the wiki though, so people don't have to search for it.

Well, I can do it.

And here it is: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Custom_Settings_for_Players#Other

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Making the bow zoom optional is a nice idea. But instead of disabling it, it would be better to bind it to a key so one can decide to zoom (or not) depending on the ingame situation. I personally like the zoom but the waiting untill it starts is annoying.

This is actually what I meant, for the bow zoom function to be under player control (ie via a key)

Not to discourage you making it under player control on your own system, but just pointing out that the bow-zoom doesn't represent a physical tool used by the player, it's rather a simulated representation of the players concentration phasing out distractions. Just thought I would throw that in there since it's not a physical thing like the telescope in TDM or Mechanical Eye in Thief.