The Dark Mod Forums

Antialiasing not working

MirceaKitsune

For mysterious reasons, anti-aliasing never worked for me in TDM. Since I hate it when edges make the pixels of my screen stand out, I would like to change this!

The menu option is enabled, and r_multiSamples is saved at the value of 4. I have an ATI Radeon 6870 card, and the free video driver for Linux (MESA 11.0.5). FSAA works in most games although there are exceptions, while MESA is configured to do what the application says in this regard.

As far as I can remember, r_multiSamples has never had any effect on Linux. If you want AA you have to enable it via the driver configuration.

That's weird, since for most game engines the setting works on both platforms... in any case this explains it. Perhaps something the developers could look at sometime? Until then I'll put the MESA environment variables for this in the TDM shortcut, will look later to see which one it was.

And just to be sure, since this is harder to tell by the naked eye: Does it work the same way with Anisotropic Filtering? Should the menu option enable it, or do I need the MESA setting to get 16x?

Well I just found out that MESA can no longer force anti-aliasing modes, this is now done by games entirely. So unless the engine learns how to make the setting work on Linux too, FSAA won't be usable for us. Can the developers please consider a simple fix in the engine code for this?