The Dark Mod Forums

Is development of DR pretty much dead ?

DarkRadiant is already a robust and functional editor - much more stable than Dromed ever was (not knocking it, but it is held together by spit and pieces of duct tape). Any further development is gravy.

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

@Melan agreed, i've tried playing with Dromed but as a newbie the editor is a bit of a nightmare.

As for DR I think what we have is great, i'm still using version 1.8.1 myself and have no complaints.

Well im glad with darkradiant, so far im doing buildings, lights, sounds, and simple scripts and it seems a very robust editor. Yeh sometime it crashes special at the begening, sometimes i need to restart like 2 ..3 times but after that i can use it like 3 ..4 hours without a simgle crash.

Edited by Capela

It doesn't help that the latest release version has some new bugs on certain systems, but like Melan said, it's complete and earlier versions are available for those who need them. It can also be extended by python scripts.

The one thing I'd like to fix if ever I get my head round the DR code would be rotating prefabs that are made of several objects that start off on different rotations. They end up moving in crazy directions.

From a point of view of a programmer myself , theres always something to implement to get things better, but at some point we need to let it go and move on to another projects. But as this is a very special mod, maybe one day you wake up and decide to pic it up again. :-)

It doesn't help that the latest release version has some new bugs on certain systems, but like Melan said, it's complete and earlier versions are available for those who need them. It can also be extended by python scripts.

The one thing I'd like to fix if ever I get my head round the DR code would be rotating prefabs that are made of several objects that start off on different rotations. They end up moving in crazy directions.

It would be nice to make it run on Windows 10 properly (I saw something about DR messing up gamma).

Yeah, it would be nice to fix the rotations (allow all selected objects to be rotated around its axis; or around median, or around last selected object).

It would be also nice to allow grouping of func_statics and brushes using func_group! :) Or something internal to DR, like layers are implemented. Very useful for modular level design.

Tons of applications are having trouble with Gamma on Windows 10...

See the current Sneaky Upgrade thread at TTLG where Snobel has been fighting that...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I too am very happy with DR in its current state. Working in it is a breeze for the most part, the thing about rotating prefabs gets my jimmies rustled sometimes, along with the occasional crash while browsing said prefabs, but it's certainly livable. Focus should probably be on bug hunting in the game client instead for the time being.

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

I'm still hanging around the forums, mostly reading the occasional interesting topic. I can't do much work on DR though at the moment, I'm just too burnt down. I'd like to pick it up again once in a while, moving things forward to the missing 2.0.3 release.

I'm aware that it has crashes, so maybe I'll manage to compile a proper build which you guys can use to record crashdumps to nail those loose ends down. Moving towards VC++ 2015 is another thing that might help keeping the thing somewhat future proof.

I'm aware that it has crashes, so maybe I'll manage to compile a proper build which you guys can use to record crashdumps to nail those loose ends down. Moving towards VC++ 2015 is another thing that might help keeping the thing somewhat future proof.

That would be greatly appreciated Greebo.