The Dark Mod Forums

Custom Zombie Sounds

Deadlove

Creepy! Has a hint of burrick in it with the infernal wheezing, and sounds decidedly unnatural.

On another note, yesterday evening, I was replaying Midnight in Murkbell, and it struck me how good the custom zombie lines in the mission made the map. "I ammmm the chiiild of Alcandor!" and so on.

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Thanks. Working with the undead is particularly interesting because of the freedoms of expression granted when there is no real life sound to emulate...So it's sorta a blank palette.

These zombie sounds all came stock TDM and I added layers and effects and whatnot to achieve what you can hear in the video.

Working on undead AI is also much less time consuming as they generally have close to 50 barks. Some of the Builders have 500 barks.

Working on undead AI is also much less time consuming as they generally have close to 50 barks. Some of the Builders have 500 barks.

Really? Zombies feel like they have 5 or 6 lines and that's it.

In the un-modded vanilla TDM.

Edited by Anderson
  • Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

I like them as they sound more creepy, but in some cases it sounds like there are more than one zombie. Maybe that's because of you used more than one sound at the same time for the barks??

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

The layers are simple enough on their own. I was imagining a rorrin voice box with holes that produces more than one sound.

The overkill of sound is at the ended when all three are coming after the player at once.

Also, some was intentionally done to make zombie audio more creepy and disturbing. Try to scare the player more.

Weapon sounds are my next adventure. It would be nice if during water arrow made different noise than miss it broad head. It's not that big of deal because the impact is still unique. However a slight hum under the arrow / now sound while aiming would give more personality and character / individualism to experiencing each weapon.

I even wanted to put worms / maggots in tge sounds so tge zombies sounds like it was rotting and deconposing. It was more of a challenge I anticioated. That part didn't happen.... yet!

Like when weapon was armed and now is stung bacj, if there was subtle water ambience really low so it have a motif to the water arrow. The tips arrow could have a Foley for rope strecting, like rubber gloves, or the noisemaker could make small ticks while being drawn back?

Do guards hear weapon sounds grind drawn or sheathed or aimed? Or are they just there for character immersion?

I am under impression guards do not hear player grunts, but could be wring.

In terms of sounds, there are dozens that would be useful. I'm not sure subtle ambient noises coming from the arrows themselves (why would water arrows make noise?) are among them.

Off the top of my head, we are certainly in need of:

-- better footstep sounds for tile, ice, and slate roofs

-- metal door sounds

-- sounds for opening chests

-- sounds for small levers and switches

-- environmental ambient city sounds (distant people talking, distant hammering,etc)

-- weapon impact sounds

-- zombie footsteps

-- female footsteps

-- ambient stress creaks

-- creaking loops for opening doors