The Dark Mod Forums

New 3D Artist wants to help :)

senka

I'd recommend trying to use our existing textures whenever possible, adding AO where necessary.

Also, keep in mind that models are not as flexible as worldspawn geometry, so focus on the parts where models would be useful. Flat parts like the ceiling, for example, could be created more quickly with brushes and the mapper wouldn't have to worry about lining anything up.

Where do I find the textures? And what do you mean by "could be created more quickly with brushes"? :blush:

Where do I find the textures? A

Our textures are within the mod download. I'm not sure which pk4 archive they're in, but you could just unzip all of them so you have access to all the textures. I usually open Darkradiant so I can easily scan through textures and see what will work.

nd what do you mean by "could be created more quickly with brushes"? :blush:

In the Darkradiant editor, mappers can easily create rectangular cuboids and then resize them to taste. Models cannot be resized in the editor without considerable effort. So anything that is just a straight edge is actually less convenient as a model.

Our textures are within the mod download. I'm not sure which pk4 archive they're in, but you could just unzip all of them so you have access to all the textures. I usually open Darkradiant so I can easily scan through textures and see what will work.

In the Darkradiant editor, mappers can easily create rectangular cuboids and then resize them to taste. Models cannot be resized in the editor without considerable effort. So anything that is just a straight edge is actually less convenient as a model.

Ah ok, haven't taken a look at the mod download by now.

I will also test the Darkradiant editor to get a feeling for how the models should look like for it.

I may just be repeating the point, but models are good for curved, detailed, or sculpted looking surfaces. So the kinds of things IMO they're good for are like pillars, embellishments, paneling, things that look worn by time, like worn boarding or stonework, etc. Another piece of advice is to do an image search for medieval or victorian buildings and use them as references.

The point about making them different from brushes is good too. I recommend doing fidcal's A to Z tutorial to make an FM (http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=A_-_Z_Beginner_Full_Guide_Start_Here!), at least the brushes part, then play or look at screenshots of fantasy games, Skyrim, Witcher, Thief4, Dishonored, etc, and look for any surfaces that don't look like brushes (not flat & 90 degrees, but look like made in a modeler). That's the kind of thing that's useful.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Another thing models are good for is texture blending, because it depends on vertex colours and brushes/patches don't support those. http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/17308-epis-many-questions-thread/has some good posts on that.

(You're limited to one surface type per material, though: e.g. you can make a material that blends dirt and grass areas at the edge between them, but the footstep sound, etc. for that material must be dirt or grass.)

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

Another thing models are good for is texture blending, because it depends on vertex colours and brushes/patches don't support those. http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/17308-epis-many-questions-thread/has some good posts on that.

(You're limited to one surface type per material, though: e.g. you can make a material that blends dirt and grass areas at the edge between them, but the footstep sound, etc. for that material must be dirt or grass.)

ok, I'll keep it in mind :)

Here's a link I just found that explains building modular architecture in a very concise way, with pictures:

http://tone3d.blogspot.ca/p/dishonored-environment-breakdown-i-will.html

f2.PNG

• Like 4

Models will (need to) be triangulated automatically when you export them for game use. The game allows either .ase or .lwo files. I work with .ase, because its easier for me. They require a bit of manual editing. Its not hard, but tricky to explain, we can get into that later. You can extract and use the game assets in your modelling/texturing process, for UV and scaling - that will save you a lot of work setting up new game materials, which is a bit tricky at first as well. But the pathing of the texture image files is not important while you model, if you are working with .ase, because you will edit the paths later by hand, pointing them to the core game (so the models will be packaged without textures, it will just search for and use the original game ones).

Like already suggested, there are many online references for studying historical architecture that fits the setting and realistic style of TDM. Thats also the most fun part, looking around and trying to recreate some piece you just loooved.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, it's been a while. I was quite busy with my work and computer -.-'. But now it's working fine again. This evening I want to texture some models.

When I am finished with texturing, where do I have to upload them? I don't know if I will finish the texturing process today but I already wanted to ask :).

• Like 1

I just remembered that I have a model of an ancient sailing ship. It is called "Wappen von Hamburg" from 1669

(-> https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wapen_von_Hamburg_(1669)it's only in german but you can see a few pictures of this ship)

I was wondering if this might be of interest for someone... I could also upload a picture of the 3D model if someone is interested :) (I would have to change some things if someone wants it,since it wasn't made for a game but that wouldn't take much time.

The cannons would make a cool model on their own. The rest of the ship doesn't look particularly high poly. Do you have textures for it?

The cannons would make a cool model on their own. The rest of the ship doesn't look particularly high poly. Do you have textures for it?

Not yet, since these models are about 1 and a half years old. But I could make a texture for it. Should I reduce the number of faces of the canon? Because as far as I remember it can be still reduced - guess would be better for the performance.

Edited by senka