The Dark Mod Forums

Can't find screenies that I've taken

llanita

Hi, I have taken some screenies of some fms and I cant find them. Usually when I take screenies about other things, they show up in my Pictures folder.

For DM FMs however, I don't get any at all.

I have used the Prt Scr which is the key that I use successfully on other things, and I've also tried using F12, also to no avail.

I have looked in the DM folder as well as the screenshots folder and they are not there. They are not under the fm name or under dm

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanksv

fosig_zpshhfnjs18.png

F12 is the right key, and they should appear be in the darkmod/screenshots folder. Not a problem I've heard of before so please take one more look.

If they're not there, check the properties on your darkmod folder and make sure it hasn't set itself to read-only, which seems to happen sometimes on Windows.

EDIT: my advice on where to find them conflicts with Biker's, but he's taken a lot more screenshots than I have so I won't argue :) Mine always appear in the top-level darkmod folder but maybe that's some setting that I've changed from the default.

Edited by SteveL

Bikerdude nothing on any of the folders you mentioned,

SteveL I've also checked the Darkmod/screenshots folder and nothing there.

However my darkmod folder is Read-only.

I'll have to look and see how I can change that.

Thanks very much to you both

fosig_zpshhfnjs18.png

Screens should get written to darkmod/the screenshots folder though that may be configurable (the new convention took place in v1.08 and later).

Make sure your screenshots folder is not set to Read Only.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

You're on Windows?

Windows key + E to bring up Windows Explorer. Find your darkmod folder. Right-click on it -> Properties. On the main tab there should be a read-only checkbox which can be empty, ticked, or with some other mark in it. Clear it and click OK. If asked whether you want to apply the setting to all subfolders, click Yes.

You should do this anyway at some point, or you won't be able to update TDM.

I've already tried that but it gets ticked right after again. It doesn't stay unticked.

Right I downloaded a script to take ownership and I did it for the Games folder which is where I have dm and the folders/files/

I tried taking screenshots again and still they are not showing up. I've looked in the Games folder, the DM screeenies folder, the fm folder itself and no screenies of the mission anywhere.

I've tried pasting it to Paint and all I get is a gray square.

I know how take screenies so it's not that I'm doing it incorrectly. As I mentioned above, I've tried using F12 and PrtScr, (which is the one to use for windows 10) and I've had no problems using that one with other games.

Edited by llanita

fosig_zpshhfnjs18.png

After you take a screenshot open the console (CTRL+ALT+~) and it should say something like mine:

Wrote screenshots/darkmod_2015-12-21_16.31.15.png

yours might be jpeg.

type in:

condump screenshot.txt

Once that's done, go to your darkmod folder and open screenshot.txt.

Go to the bottom and copy the screenshot name. In my case it's "darkmod_2015-12-21_16.31.15"

Open an explorer window (Windows Key + E).

Browse to the root of your darkmod drive. In my case that's C:\

In the search box at the top, paste the screenshot name in the search box and let windows search for the file to see where it's gone.

Hopefully it will find it.

If it was never created, the console might tell you why.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Hi AluminunHaste ctrl+alt+~ while in the game? If that's correct all that happens is the game is saved.

Edit: OK I tried it again, this time the console showed up (no idea you could do that)

And I tried again to take the screenshot but nothing at all happens.

I was wondering if it could be my keyboard but then I wouldn't be able to take screenies of anything.

Very odd that. I used windows logo+F12, also tried F12 by itself then tried prtscr and then winlogo+prtscr. Nothing

Edited by llanita

fosig_zpshhfnjs18.png

Try binding another key.

Also let's try making it take longer so you can see if its actually doing anything.

Try binding it to f

So in the console type: bind f screenshot 1920 1200 128

Now when you hit f in game the whole game should pause and the screen should jitter 128 times.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

How do I close the game console to get back to game?

It worked but I thought my screen was having some kind of an attack. It went haywire for several seconds then when it stopped Garrett was upside down lol.

Since f is a game function should I try to assign f12 instead?

Edit: So can I adjust the 128 so that the screen doesn't convulse so long? I'm worried it will have a heart attack :wacko:

Edited by llanita

fosig_zpshhfnjs18.png

Edit: So can I adjust the 128 so that the screen doesn't convulse so long? I'm worried it will have a heart attack :wacko:

Yes, that was just for the test. You can make it 1.

One nice thing about TDM's screenshot facility is you can take a s/shot much larger than your screen. The s/shot does a separate render, it doesn't copy directly from your screen. If you choose a huge size, like 16000x9000, you'll see bits of the scene rendered as separate tiles that fit on your screen. Then it all gets put back together again in your resulting file.