The Dark Mod Forums

Crucible of Omens: Behind Closed Doors - by Bikerdude & the Crucible Team (updated 18/12/2015)

Bikerdude

I completed this mission finally. Took me over four hours on the easiest. Please no comment on my playing skills. I also won't disclose my stealth score. :ph34r:

It took me like forever to find all the loot, and finding the incriminating evidence took also really long. I kinda knew where to find it, but I didn't look closely enough, so I just went all the way back to find enough loot first.

Incredible atmosphere, extremely good use of all the gameplay elements of TDM that are available. Again, this at last really brings back the feelings that I had when I first played TDP.

Are the other missions of the campaign on the way? If yes, here's my suggestion: Release the campaign as a standalone game. Get people interested. If they are, they can check out TDM and mod themselves.

Are the other missions of the campaign on the way? If yes, here's my suggestion: Release the campaign as a standalone game. Get people interested. If they are, they can check out TDM and mod themselves.

Its planned to resume work on the next one in the series, some time in the 1st quarter of this 2016

Glad you enjoyed it ^_^

Thank you for this wonderful mission!

When it was released around Christmas I could not resist and quickly rushed through it like a hungry mouse through a cheese warehouse.

This way I missed a lot, and decided to play through it again - this time most slowly, most concentrated, and over many days - just half an hour a day or so, to

maximize the enjoyment, to stretch it over an as long time as possible.

By this approach I almost got all loot (high 6000s) and feel like I know every cobblestone.

I played on highest difficulty - and it was tense at times; it is quite startling to hear that rattle of a near-miss arrow next to your ear while having

no idea where the arrow could have come from, because you thought of yourself to be a perfect invisible sneak - "Clank!" - note to self: turn down hubris.

Masterful enemy placement in the map!

I personally do not like risky climbing - if I had a choice, I would avoid it; vertical spaces here, however, were so plentiful, that this was not much of an option.

So I scrambled around ledges, windows, shingles and vines I would deem impossible to navigate in real life (immersion!) - with sweaty palms (mouse+keyboard

hygiene by application of an alcoholic wipe was needed daily). You made me even climb a big chain-link, crazily balancing over a courtyard - not too much of great enjoyment,

but quite thrilling, indeed (I wonder what will happen to my palm sweat glands when VR glasses are in use, really folks, show mercy).

For the initial mission of a campaign I much liked the slowly introduction of the storyline by readables - those were marvelous, not to long or short, too few or too many.

It felt engaging to collect a little bit of background story here and there, growing an ever more complete picture.

I did not notice any bugs, only one case of a sleeping woman that I had to blackjack who suddenly sunk through her bed, only her nose left sticking out - I dismissed this

as a regular case of very soft bedding (luxury class, Princess-and-the-Pea-type sleeping equipment).

I much appreciated the level of detail almost overall: It felt like a lived-in, immersive and alive town.

The first two hours or so I was too inattentive to notice the interactive map - on my second, careful play-through, however, I found it to be most beneficial.

Even as a veteran thief and fan-mission player, I was surprised by quite a few very clever hidden pieces of loot - again, very immersive. Especially poorer

citizens would not be expected to have valuables lying around openly but rather well-hidden, and my searching in weird corners high and low was rewarded.

Once I fell in a body of water (behind the mill somewhere) and could not find a way out - there was a ladder and a hatch, but the hatch would not frob. Well,

I do not know if this was some issue with the map or with me being incompetent, but I had to load a save game; but this was the only time I got stuck, everything

else was perfectly navigable.

Thank you for a wonderful time with this mission, Ladies and Gentlemen, this is a great piece of work.

Edited by Outlooker

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

"When outmatched... cheat."— Batman

• Even as a veteran thief and fan-mission player, I was surprised by quite a few very clever hidden pieces of loot - again, very immersive.

but the hatch would not frob.

Thank you for a wonderful time with this mission, this is a great piece of work.

• Ah but did you find the loot near the

water tower

or the various bits of hidden loot in

Finegrim Street

or how about the loot hidden in the

stairs in one of the Horders

buildings

It was design as a dead end, forcing the player to jump-mantle onto the closed sluice-gate.

Your very welcome mister.

The only objective I can't get is loot at the Inventors' Guild HQ can some one give me a clue?

Thought it might even be the specs on the inventor's nose!

Biker , Thank you!!

Brilliant stuff, many many thanks to all involved in building it and for the hours of enjoyment had in exploring the nooks amd crannies.

This might have been a second request, but can someone send me the font for "The Dark Mod"? Thanks.

What do you guys think of my promo pix? I'm trying to give our fellow out ModDb plenty to work with for the Prologue announcement.

Oh yeh, what was the console code to take really large pictures that are larger than your current graphic display?

bind F12 screenshot 1920 1080 32

(1920x1080 with 32x AA)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I think he means higher res.

bind f12 screenshot 3840 2400 32

Remember you have to keep the same aspect ratio of your current res/display or weird stuff happens.

Also you can't go too high it won't work, the screenshot will be broken.

Also you can set a list of commands to hide the gui when you take a screenshot, have TDM take the screenshot, then show the gui again.

So;

bind F12 "g_showHud 0; screenshot 3840 2400 32; g_showHud 1"

You need the parentheses around the commands.

Also if you want to zoom in like in the shot with the spyglass, but don't want to look through the spyglass, you can just set your FOV to really low.

bind f11 "g_showHud 0; g_fov 30; screenshot 3840 2400 32; g_fov 100; g_showHud 1"

So when you press F11, the gui will be hidden, the fov will zoom in, the screenshot will be taken then everything else should go back to normal.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

"Powered by" seems out of place.

Here's the font:

attachicon.gifDARK11.ttf.txt

I think it's a good descriptor. It was decided that Crucible of Omens is not the "official campaign" so it will signal folks to the idea that this is

distinct from any official "Main Story" even though it's created by Team Members.

Of course, I wouldn't be the deciding vote on that :)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Anyone have better idea than "powered by" TDM?

What about "Available in TDM" ?

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

No one's made any attribution on any FM splash pages other than "A fan mission for TDM".

"Powered by" sounds too officious.

"Available in TDM" doesn't sound right either.

So if TDM has to be mentioned at all, something like "A Campaign for TDM" is the most accurate.