The Dark Mod Forums

New Footstep sounds

SeriousToni

6dh5l792.jpg

If you like to try an alternative set of footstep sounds, you can download the zip file and extract this to your darkmod/sound folder. (if there is no sound folder in your darkmod directory, just create one. There you put in the sfx folder from my zip file).

Current Version:

Download Link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8qyRA15i6FhX2ZHellLQ3I1Q0k

In the following posts you'll find some (not up to date) videos which were created during the process. I recommend just to download the small file, extract and test ingame by yourself since the videos use some old sounds which were replaced during the years.

Edited by SeriousToni
  • Like 3

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I don't remember hearing these, but from what I can hear in the video:

I prefer the new:

Stone (except for the jump)

I don't have a strong preference:

tile (sound is better, but reverb is too strong IMO)

dirt

I prefer the old:

Snow

It's not up to me though. People should chime in and we can make changes if there's a clear preference.

• Like 1

Actually, no need, its pretty good work, so why throw any of it to waste (in case some of it is not used). Sure, if the game wants to include something, great, but you can simply release the package as a custom addon. Name it something like "new footsteps sounds v1.0 by ST" and interested people can download it to customize TDM to their taste. ;)

• Like 1

Even if it's released independently, we still need opinions on which, if any, should replace existing sounds.

Here is the package for everyone to test them out theirselves :)

DOWNLOAD

These are the latest footsteps plus changes of the chain mail sound and the armoured walking sound.

Just import the package to your TDM directory under sound!

• Like 4

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I also like the new dirt and tile sounds, though the tile would definitely sound too "echoey" in small rooms. The new snow steps sound far too quiet.

Personally, after listening to the Thief games' almost comically loud footstep sound effects for so long, the Dark Mod's footstep sounds in general seem too quiet and needing more "punch," though as RPGista said, the option to adjust one's own installation to whatever they like in that regard is awesome.

Edited by Morat

Cool! We should oganize a forum section or a way of posting these Addons so people can browse or search for them in a clear way. Something like the new fan mission threads. Would be nice if this became common practise, people posting their custom patches for the players community (Im working on a mod/addon myself).

Edited by RPGista

Nice, thanks! Yes, the sounds need some tweaking which I will do based on your comments. And about modding the mod: there was a discussion about a TDM fanside a few weeks ago, which could serve that purpose too :)

It should be noted that the tile footstep soundfiles themselves don't have reverb applied to them, apart from the two last ones (of 8) which have a slight ambient echo to them. However, they're also rather different from the preceding six - maybe just replace them with pitched versions of two of the earlier footsteps?

Also, I'm surprised no one else has mentioned the wood footsteps - they're luvly!

It should be noted that the tile footstep soundfiles themselves don't have reverb applied to them

I listened to the first few tile sounds and they sound like they have reverb to me....?

• 3 weeks later...

Just extract this into your default TDM folder which will create a sounds folder in which the new files are stored. They will overwrite the original sounds packed in the pk4 file.

And if you want to move back to the original sounds later, you just have to delete the extracted sounds folder again :)

Edited by SeriousToni
  • Like 1

No, the game detects both: files in the folder structure (with priority) and files in the pk4 files. Just try it out. ;)

EDIT: Just be sure to create a folder "sound" and put the "sfx" folder with its content in it.

Edited by SeriousToni

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice. I like all the new ones, but the tile sounds indeed have too much reverb on them. Personally I'd rather see it added to the core than being an optional thing.

Great work on the wood!

• Like 1

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik

• 4 weeks later...

So I made another update to the footstep sounds. You can download them here. Please extract the content into your darkmod folder. You can test them at the blackjack training mission or in some random TDM mission.

What I noticed is, that some of the "run" sounds are not used: foliage, wood, dirt, grass. Instead it uses the walk sounds again. Maybe this can be fixed with the next TDM update? Which is the file that says what sound should be used exactly?

Have fun!! ^_^

Edited by SeriousToni
  • Like 1

Huh, I wanted to make a comparison video again, but strangely when I rename the sound folder to something else or even copy it to another folder, the game still uses the new sounds isntead of the pk4 - WTF? :wacko:

Hm strange, so this should work... Anyhow - there's still two major problems:

• Does anybody know which file handles the audio sources? I know that the texture shaders say "this is a stone floor" but which file does say "play stone_walk01.ogg"? The reason I need this is, because some sounds I can not edit, since either I can't find the correct ogg file for it or it just uses the same files for walk and run either way.
  • Sounds are currently cut off, as soon as another sound is played. This means it plays footstep 1 which has a 3 seconds length but is cut off at second 2, since footstep 2 is already playing. This isn't noticeable in most cases, but it would create a better experience if footstep sounds could overlap each other. Is that possible or an engine restriction?

Any feedback on the last update yet btw?

• Like 1