The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Mother Rose by grayman (2016/01/01)

grayman

Poll: Fan Mission: Mother Rose by grayman (2016/01/01)  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Appearance

• Poor
    • Could be better
    • Average
    • Good
    • Great
  2. 2. Gameplay

• Poor
    • Could be better
    • Average
    • Good
    • Great
  3. 3. Story

• Poor
    • Could be better
    • Average
    • Good
    • Great

Pressed the wrong button to quote Blenie's post , apologies !

Meant to say agree with all of that , and as an older player found it difficult because of that and subseauently gave up. I was enjoying it until the ghost got involved , never did find the secret ways. I won't rate it for that reason. Thanks though for making it Grayman.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It's very nice, very well structured in layers for a swift but pleasant experience.

The only criticism and suggested change would be brought down to slowing the speed at which the ghost creeps on the player. Otherwise the search for the mandatory item to progress the story is longer than necessary.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 7 months later...

Thanks for making the mission, grayman! Some quick post-completion notes...

When trying to place the coffin, I wish pressing the "Use" key (which is the tilde (~) key for me) and/or frobbing Sarah's gravestone, while the coffin is selected in your inventory, would drop the coffin. Why? Embarrassed to admit, I spent 5-10 minutes just trying to get it out of my inventory and onto the grave ;) I tried quitting back to main menu and re-loading; I tried fully quitting the game and re-loading; but none of that helped. I even looked at the above gameplay vids hoping they experienced the same issue, but they didn't; so then I thought my saved game was busted. I tried re-loading to an earlier save and went back to the grave... didn't help :P

As you probably know, I was not hitting the "R" key to drop it out of inventory. I was instead using the key assigned to "Use." It kept flashing the coffin green in my inventory like it does for a lockpick, but it just sat in my inventory.

TBH, for more detail, here is the full story if u wish to read... if it helps when considering an update:

The first time I went to the grave with the coffin, I actually did drop it into place, no problem, and I completed the objective straight away. It was seamless; intuitive; instinctual... I didn't have to think about it, I must have subconsciously pressed the "R" key to drop it. It worked fine; all was well. But I wasn't pleased with how the coffin got placed, so I re-picked-it-up and re-dropped it a few times, hoping I would be able to position it how I wanted; and also to see if I could open the lid and place the doll inside. It felt like the coffin was maybe upside down and/or had the wrong end at the feet and I wanted to fix that/make sure to respect Sarah more. In doing this, I successfully completed the objective quickly 3 or 4 times in a row. In those hurried moments (fearing the approaching ghost), though, after about 4 re-positions, I subconsciously started pressing the "Use" key instead of "R" and it stopped dropping the coffin. Arrgh. And then once it became this conscious effort, I completely didn't think to use the Drop key :( I thought I had maybe broken the functionality in the mission by trying to re-position too many times, which is why I tried re-loads, etc. :D

I think normally in Thief-like games, "Use" is often the button that gets used for these things(?). And in TDM, "Use" drops an unconscious body, so maybe I started subconsciously thinking along those lines... completely forgetting about "R". And seeing the coffin flash green in inventory reinforced to me that "Use" was the correct key...

*My bad* hehe

I had to watch FenPhoenix's video to learn where the safe was... I don't know how I missed it. The lock buttons on fireplaces was a little obscure of a puzzle, but fortunately found them fairly quickly.

Edited by Darkness_Falls

• 4 months later...

This fan mission was really surprising for me!

I saw zombies, skeletons, but I did not that something like this can exist in TDM...

I was really caught of guard when the ghost got to me.
I noticed that something attacked me while I was reading the diary,
but I was surprised at how wicked it is and how slowly it moves!
It's cool that the ghost can go through walls, and almost never leaves you alone.
And the guard's reaction was quite funny =)

Unfortunately, I had to cheat with youtube to find the secret rooms.
By that time I already hated those red eyes (after running circles around the house).

I have two questions:

1. The musical theme: did someone really put piano in such condition?
  2. The match: what can it be used for?

• 4 weeks later...

Opps, sorry, ST. I didn't see your post until now. Somehow the forum took me off of following this thread.

1. Yes. The reference is in the readme.txt file for the mission.

2. The slowmatch is used to light candles, torches, and fireplaces. Just hold it near the object and the object will light up.

• 3 months later...

Played this just now. Cool mission! I gave top scores for the appearance and story, but gameplay I rated only average. Rationale below:

The mission had a solid atmosphere and a good story. I crept around in the doctors house and was quite scared at the shadows, knowing something will soon jump at me, but didn't. This was the best part. Getting freaked out by expecting something... Waiting when the scare comes..

Like all horror movies, the scare goes on as long as you do not know what is coming. When the ghost appeared, I almost soiled my pants because it wasn't anything I've ever seen in TDM. I just couldn't escape it, it moved through walls and floors and knew exactly where I was at all times.

This brings me to the only average gameplay. The ghost was very interesting when it appeared and it was awesome how it broke the rules of ordinary gameplay. BUT! as soon as I understood what it was doing (after first 30-60s or so, I know, I am a bit slow sometimes...), it stopped being scary and became a chore. I couldn't read readables in peace because the ghost was bitching nearby. I started leading it like a pig on a leash so that I could do my stuff in peace. No horror theme will work if the main character leads the source of the horror like a pig on a leash. In a horror theme, just as the main character thinks they got the pig in the bag and the situation in control, the pig suddenly escapes the leash and mutilates the one who thought they could contain it.

I loved the little "SARAH" text on the coffing. A nice touch! Same for the ending cutscene. It was good to see the ghost move to the grave and stop chasing me. The mission got a nice closure.

Nice mission overall, a lot of new ideas here. Good looks, interesting story. The implementation of the horror broke some rules, but then turned too predictable. But that did not terribly go in my way of having fun with the mission!

Thanks, Grayman!! :wub:

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

• 3 months later...

Welcome to the forums.

Thank you!

And it is a honor to speak with The "Biker Dude"!

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

A wonderfull small mission and a perfect example why The Dark Mod is so great! Everybody can do different things with it, from "normal" Thief mission to creepy stories like this :). And while I figured out the coffin/grave thing fine, I agree that the "frob"/"use" keys should work too...

Edited by wesp5
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Nice creepy little mission. At the end I felt a bit sad for everyone involved. I finished with a perfect Stealth score and $1,700 on the hardest difficulty.

Things I liked:

• I just about kacked myself when you-know-who appeared and screamed at me
  • The secrets were well hidden, but not too well hidden
  • I don't know if you meant for this to happen but
    Spoiler

I made a point of leaving Sarah's doll on her coffin. When the coffin descended into the grave, her doll went down with her. That was a nice touch.

Things I didn't like:

• After the initial fright wore off, you-know-who was more annoying than scary.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

• 6 months later...

Loved it. Great alternative mission!

Spoiler

Watched FenPhoenix video for a clue, seems he's as blind for obvious stuff as I am sometimes : D

After placing the coffin I waited for mother Rose (she could be screaming less .. ) but she was still mad at me. Only when I finished the mission she got peace. I expected that to happen when she got to the coffin at the grave but was pleasantly surprised that it did happen in the end scene.