The Dark Mod Forums

Dishonored GOTY edition

Springheel

I already own the original Dishonored and have played it, but was interested in getting the DLCs.

They're all on sale on Steam atm...if I buy the two I'm mainly interested in, it's $11.00.

For an extra 50 cents, I could buy the GotY edition, which also comes with two other small DLCs that might be interesting.

Saves me a couple bucks, but the deciding factor for me will probably be whether I can play the DLCs without having to play through the entire story again if I get the GotY edition. Don't really have time for that atm.

Anyone happen to know how that works?

Also, are there any Assassin's Creed games that are worth playing? They're on sale too.

• Like 3

I was in the same situation, and I did get the GOTY for Christmas. It really is a better deal to get the GOTY as it seems the story DLCs will never go below 50% off.

If you remember the Missions page on the main menu, there's a new tab in the GOTY edition that allows you to play the DLCs without replaying anything. I'm pretty sure The Knife of Dunwall takes data from your end savefile though, to determine Corvo's actions.

I've not had a chance to play the story DLCs but I've been doing the City Trials and they're pretty nice to look at and play.

I have also had this bookmarked for a year or so and I'll finally be able to try it since it only works with the GOTY: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141188

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

I own GOTY edition on PS3, though I think it shouldn't be all that different from the Steam version. Overall, I'm extremely happy with it, and I'm almost completely sure you don't need to replay the campaign to access the story DLC - it should be available instantly. The Dunwall City Trials are pretty neat too; some of them are a little frustrating (Train Runner, I'm looking at you...), but some of them should be right up a Thief/TDM player's alley (Burglar, for instance). If it's only 50 cents more, I'd say go for it.

The 2 story-driven DLCs, IMHO, are simply superior.

And I love the voice-acting of Daud :D

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Thanks for the tip - I just bought the GOTY now since it was a little cheaper than the DLCs I wanted anyways. But I really hate Steam for saying "You'll not get an extra copy of the game you already own: Dishonored". How nice would it be to give this to a friend? Nah.. now they got the money anyway...

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I agree, the story DLCs are very enjoyable! I bought these two, since I was not interested in the Dunwall City Trials, so I cannot say, which deal is better.

Regarding Assassin's Creed: I enjoyed most of them, but some are better than the others. I have played the main games up to Black Flag (which is really fun to play, although it is more of a pirate adventure, than a real AC), and think AC2 is the best. The first was great at the time, but is very repetitive, the follow ups of AC2 (Brotherhood and Revelations) are a bit overloaded with new features, that are stacked on top of the ones in part two, and this gets worse in Revelation than it is in Brotherhood. But the main character and the time it plays in are very interesting, so I still enjoyed them. AC3 was fine but not too great either, mainly because it takes a long time, until the main character becomes a full assassin.

• Like 1

I already own the original Dishonored and have played it, but was interested in getting the DLCs.

They're all on sale on Steam atm...if I buy the two I'm mainly interested in, it's $11.00.

For an extra 50 cents, I could buy the GotY edition, which also comes with two other small DLCs that might be interesting.

Saves me a couple bucks, but the deciding factor for me will probably be whether I can play the DLCs without having to play through the entire story again if I get the GotY edition. Don't really have time for that atm.

Anyone happen to know how that works?

Also, are there any Assassin's Creed games that are worth playing? They're on sale too.

regarding the AC`s :

my personal (!) hitlist:

1. AC2

2. AC-brotherhood

3. AC-revelations

4. AC1

5. AC-black flag (nice pirate adventure - less AC-experience)

6. AC-3

didn`t play the other parts

• Like 1

For the original Assassin's Creed, you absolutely need to turn off the minimap. Listen to what the Rafiq has to say and you will be able to complete the required investigations. Running from objective to objective is just boring, immerse yourself!

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

The two main DLCs, which follow Daud's story, are a self-contained game and worth every brouzouf you spend on them. Think Opposing Force for Half-Life. They are better polished than the original Dishonored, and they have very enjoyable missions. Highly recommended.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Every AC game starting from AC 2 was very enjoyable, if you enjoy a good story and staging but don't mind not being challenged by the game. They are all very easy.

To me, AC1 felt like a tech demo rather than a full game. The core gameplay mechanics were already in, but the story telling and mission design was just soooooo weak! I actually stopped playing it after a few hours, because I got bored. I then thought that all AC games would be boring, but eventually, I gave AC2 a shot and got hooked immediately. Afterwards, I finally played AC1 to the end in order to see the full story, while concentrating on the main missions to keep motivation up. But I definitely recommend skipping the first one and starting with AC2 onwards. Maybe check youtube for an AC1 recap.

The most recent PC release "AC Unity" features outrageously gorgeous graphics and finally introduces proper sneaking! The story will be difficult to grasp without playing the previous games, however.

I thought the most recent AC was "Syndicate"? And apart from that: you really liked "Unity"? All I have heard is, that it is very buggy and that you can only get froward, when you do the coop missions. Have not played it myself for these reasons. On the other hand, "Syndicate" was recommended to me, as a very good part. The main problem I have with that on so far (apart from my PC being too old, which will change this week) is, that I don't like a grappling hook in an AC game. When I want to get to the top of a building, I climb it. If I want a grappling hook game, I play the Batman "Arkham" series (which I also highly recommend).

I finished it and I enjoyed it, no coop involved. While it was not as good as most AC titles, it was still way better than AC 1 and as I mentioned, the absolutely bonkers graphics make up for a lot. :)

And you're right. I forgot that Syndicate had been released a month ago. Didn't play it so far, but am definitely going to.

Regarding the grapling hook, people like me who have played many AC titles, are kinda fed up with having to climb each and every clock tower in a city, so I don't mind the grapling hook at all. ;)

To me, AC1 felt like a tech demo rather than a full game. The core gameplay mechanics were already in, but the story telling and mission design was just soooooo weak! I actually stopped playing it after a few hours, because I got bored. I then thought that all AC games would be boring, but eventually, I gave AC2 a shot and got hooked immediately.

Good to know. I felt the same about part 1 (and only played it a couple of hours too...), but also bought part 2 and Black Flag on a Steam sale, but never tried them out. I'm especially interested in black flag, being a fan of the pirate scenario. It's supposed to be good, so i'll surely give it a try soon.

Edited by chakkman

AC2 is the best.

+1

AC2's graphics still look great and it captures Florence and Venice wonderfully and faithfully (except they made the canal water blue instead of green!). They didn't go to such efforts again, at least not in the next 3 episodes which is as far as I got in the series. The depiction of Rome in the next game is repetitive and generic and only recognizable by its landmarks, not by its unique architecture. Then again, Rome has changed a lot since 1500 unlike the other towns.

AC isn't a full-on stealth game but it's hugely enjoyable -- the first game where physical movement is such a pleasure that it's a joy to run around even when you're not looking at stuff! It's got some stealth game mechanics: the AI aren't aware of you unless you are in their line of sight, and you can hide and do sneak kills once you get the weapons. But you won't be ghosting or studying patrols except in a few specific missions that're setup that way.

It's got some stealth game mechanics: the AI aren't aware of you unless you are in their line of sight, and you can hide and do sneak kills once you get the weapons. But you won't be ghosting or studying patrols except in a few specific missions that're setup that way.

Please note that Unity introduced quite a few more stealth mechanics.

Furthermore, regarding the architecture, Unity plays in Paris and I have never been there in real life. After having played the game, I checked out google maps and was flabbergaster how familiar I was with the city just by having played the game. They didn't reproduce the city up to scale in the game, though. They trimmed it by leaving out "clutter-houses" and kept the landmarks on scale.

Not meaing to advertise Unity, just pointing out.

Cool, I'll give Unity a try when I get some time. I've only played 4 or 5.

I was a student in Italy & love it, which is one reason why I was so hooked on the Italian episodes. It's not just the amazing reconstruction of the towns (yes, they were made smaller in AC2 too) but you can switch the game to Italian language and everyone is fully voiced, even background chat and market sellers etc. I don't know if they did that for every language, or just Italian because it was set there, but the depth of detail in AC is mind-blowing.

What i found a bit ridiculous in part 1 is that it played automatically almost. All you had to is press forward to climb the tallest building there is. Felt pretty casual tbh. I hope it's at least a little bit more demanding.

If I remember correctly, the controls were changed a bit. In AC1 you had a button for left hand, right hand, eyes and feet, with an additional switch between high profile and low profile. Later on, they changed this system. The climbing is never really difficult, but in AC2 you have to learn a "higher jump" during climbing for some of the buildings. But otherwise climbing is still no more challenge than before. Also, fighting feels like it gets easier with each part, which I found quite sad, since this makes stealth weaker. If you get caught, you can usually just fight your way through :(

I was a student in Italy & love it, which is one reason why I was so hooked on the Italian episodes. It's not just the amazing reconstruction of the towns (yes, they were made smaller in AC2 too) but you can switch the game to Italian language and everyone is fully voiced, even background chat and market sellers etc. I don't know if they did that for every language, or just Italian because it was set there, but the depth of detail in AC is mind-blowing.

The language was already great in the first part. Admittedly, the main characters were speaking English with an Arab accent, but the crusaders spoke English, German and French (even though you could hear, that they were no native speakers, at least in case of the Germans) and (although I am not 100% sure) I believe many of the background characters in the Arabic towns were speaking Arab. But here I am definitely not sure.

LOL! Where, exactly?

I was at the Greg (the Pontifical Gregorian University), one of the Vatican unis for a year, studying scholastic philosophy. I was living in the mediaeval English College in Rome, just off the Campo de' Fiori / Piazza Farnese. This was 20 years ago, and the CdF was a quiet square with a single vineria and no people at night. Bit different from now!

No I'm not religious, although that education was :)

• Like 2

I'll say it again: you haven't played Assassin's Creed 1 until you've played it without the GPS. I really cannot overstate how different (and better!) that game becomes without objective markers guiding your way. Also don't forget the memory log in the pause menu to plan your assassination.

It's this type of gameplay that makes me enjoy TDM as much as I do.

Edited by 161803398874989

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.