The Dark Mod Forums

Windows 10: Why you should NOT upgrade...

Bikerdude

Shame when Cortana is only available in a handful of countries. Among which, like 70% of the world doesn't count.... Better than nothing I guess.

Linux is always out there in emergencies :)

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Well apart from the privacy/profiling issue, it uses bing which is just a shit search engine compared to google.

Google is succesful but alternatives such as bing or the russian Yandex are available too. Fair competition I guess?

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

What's interesting is that Intel announced that they're discontinuing ultra-low-power (and cost) Atom chips. This can't be good for Microsoft. How will MS fight off the invasion of the $100-200 Android tablets now? And why would Intel spend time and effort developing them, only to discontinue them a couple of years later?

Are we really supposed to believe that Microsoft will stop offering free Win10 after the 1 year period ends? They don't want to sell the OS anymore aside from Pro licenses. They don't want security issues to bog down an older install base, especially since there are no huge jumps in CPU/RAM needed to install newer Windows OS.

Yes, they are going to charge more than a quad-core computer that *comes with Windows 10* costs, for a single copy of the lowest tier version of Windows 10. Ain't monopolies wonderful?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8S334H3132&cm_re=meegopad_t02-_-9SIA8S334H3132-_-Product

Hopefully consumers will be smarter than to pay for a product that does this by default.

https://jonathan.porta.codes/images/posts/2015/07/window-10-privacy-settings-3.png

Notice how it explicitly says, in plain English that "Browsing data will be sent to Microsoft". This option is turned on by default, and if you click to use express settings like 97% of people, you'll never see it. :)

Personally, I use GWX Control Panel.

I've turned on the most important blocks/filters in the program (especially the ones that eliminate that nagging GWX icon), but I haven't fiddled with it much since. Has anyone been using this software to deal with the forcing of updates on his Windows 7 Pro ? If yes, how has it served you so far and what further settings would you recommend ?

I'd need to know more, so I could be sure I can set the program to ignore all Windows 10 related updates and only focus on genuine Windows 7 security updates. With Microsoft's regrettably sneaky tactics as of late, I'm rather worried whether I should install security updates. (I haven't installed any in over a month and even my antivirus is now nagging at me to install the Windows 7 security updates.)

Previously, I hand-picked all my updates, so no need for software like GWX Control Panel. Now, Windows Update no longer works at all on my laptop (it gets hooked up on the "Checking for Updates" part) so I guess that's it for me...

Previously, I hand-picked all my updates, so no need for software like GWX Control Panel. Now, Windows Update no longer works at all on my laptop (it gets hooked up on the "Checking for Updates" part) so I guess that's it for me...

Same here, but its still nice to have a tool I can recommend to the average user.

I'd need to know more, so I could be sure I can set the program to ignore all Windows 10 related updates and only focus on genuine Windows 7 security updates. With Microsoft's regrettably sneaky tactics as of late, I'm rather worried whether I should install security updates. (I haven't installed any in over a month and even my antivirus is now nagging at me to install the Windows 7 security updates.)

So, no advice, then ?

Oops sory, I assume your refering to win7/8.1 - security patches are fine, just avoid all the optional and recommended.

I don't know if this is nagware related, and I believe I have caught both Win 7/8.1 doing this.

This evening I went to shutdown the PC (Win 8.1 pro) and in the shutdown message I got asked if I want to install updates and then shutdown. What angered me, was I have previously set windows update not to check for windows update ever and set the bloody service to manual - Yet here was windows automatically checking for and trying to install updates.

So had to do a system restore and then check Windows update and it setting/s - M$ really are a bunch of pissant goat f**kers.

And previous to this Win 8.1 had been trying to install the 600mb+ update for Win 8.0 to update it to 8.1, and then after that was hidden I caugfht trying to install the same 2 optional updated (fixes for registry bloat and OneDrive bollox).....

i keep getting nagged to try office, I don't need office. although it just appears as a small pop up in the right hand bottom corner, it appears every 4 days.

apparently Cortana is based off the 3d AI from the halo games, comes across as slightly disturbing if you really think about it, you can get the sound files and a 3d body of the halo AI from some microsoft site and use them with Cortana.

Edited by stumpy