The Dark Mod Forums

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory - First Person Mod

BuckleBean

Hi Everyone,

I thought some of you might appreciate this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEkscEFjgcU

I can't remember for sure, but I think Chaos Theory was the first stealth game that I really took to. I've since fallen in love with the genre, preferring 1st-person stealth titles like TDM. But I owe a lot to this game for getting me into the genre and showing me a style of gameplay that rewards patience and slower, careful, artful sneaking as opposed to frantic running & gunning. It's the slower, contemplative pacing of stealth games that I've really come to enjoy most of all, I think.

Sneaking around the environments is a real treat. It feels more like a Deus Ex game to me, though only as it relates to 1st person sneaking. I don't want to suggest that it's as open & varied an experience. You will need to pop out to 3rd person from time to time for certain interactions, hanging off of ledges, grabbing guards and disposing of their bodies, etc... I was successful at getting the main camera settings set up so that the entire game could be played in first person, but there were many show-stopping bugs, getting stuck in the environment, that sort of thing. I think it could be doable if the right values are tweaked to all of the camera settings throughout the .ini file, but it's a job for someone with a team or who has more time. As it is now, it's exceeded my expectations and I'm very pleased with the result.

If you'd like to try this yourself, instructions are included in the youtube description. It just involves replacing one of the .ini files in the program folder with one that I linked to. There are 2 options. The first was what I was using for the video, which has the default mouse settings where the X & Y axis are different values (not recommended). The 2nd includes what I refer to as a "fix" for this, so that the X & Y axis are the same. This is my preference and what I expect is the standard for most games. You will also need to create a new profile and start a new game. Keep that in mind if you want to make any of your own tweaks. Once you're in game, press the key for weapon-aim and you'll be in first person. I'd also recommend using the fix for modern resolutions and set the fov to taste.

If you have even a slight interest, I suggest you give it a try. Please use at your own risk, but certainly don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions.

p.s. Coincidentally, Chaos Theory is part of the humble Ubisoft bundle right now. You have to pay for the 2nd tier to get it, though.

Thanks,

Mark

• Like 3

Oh now this is fucking interesting.

On a side note, since we're talking about Chaos Theory, lately everything looks cold in the thermal goggles.

I think this is due to new graphics cards and new drivers, as I haven't had this problem until my upgrade.

Any advice?

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

On a side note, since we're talking about Chaos Theory, lately everything looks cold in the thermal goggles.

I think this is due to new graphics cards and new drivers, as I haven't had this problem until my upgrade.

Any advice?

Chaos Theory works well on Win7 SP1, no need to tweak. Are you playing on Win10?

If you're interested in perfect widescreen support take a look here: http://thirteenag.github.io/wfp#scct

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Any advice?

I hadn't noticed an issue. I'm on Win10. Do you mean EVERYthing looks cold, like the guards, etc...? Or just that it looks colder than it should. Until the other day, I hadn't played this in many many years, so it could be my memory is rusty. I only use the Thermal goggles in this video for about 2 seconds around the 9:40 mark. It's perhaps not the best example, but it this what you're getting?

Maybe he's playing with shaders set to 1.4 and not 2.0. Win10 has some problems with D3D8 and older DDraw rendering paths of the Unreal Engine.

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

I am not

Chaos Theory works well on Win7 SP1, no need to tweak. Are you playing on Win10?

If you're interested in perfect widescreen support take a look here: http://thirteenag.github.io/wfp#scct

I hadn't noticed an issue. I'm on Win10. Do you mean EVERYthing looks cold, like the guards, etc...? Or just that it looks colder than it should. Until the other day, I hadn't played this in many many years, so it could be my memory is rusty. I only use the Thermal goggles in this video for about 2 seconds around the 9:40 mark. It's perhaps not the best example, but it this what you're getting?

Maybe he's playing with shaders set to 1.4 and not 2.0. Win10 has some problems with D3D8 and older DDraw rendering paths of the Unreal Engine.

I'm on Windows 7.

Allow me to list my specs as given by Steam.

Processor Information:
Vendor: GenuineIntel
CPU Family: 0x6
CPU Model: 0x2a
CPU Stepping: 0x7
CPU Type: 0x0
Speed: 3392 Mhz
8 logical processors
4 physical processors
HyperThreading: Supported
FCMOV: Supported
SSE2: Supported
SSE3: Supported
SSSE3: Supported
SSE4a: Unsupported
SSE41: Supported
SSE42: Supported

Network Information:
Network Speed:

Operating System Version:
Windows 7 (64 bit)
NTFS: Supported
Crypto Provider Codes: Supported 311 0x0 0x0 0x0

Video Card:
Driver: AMD Radeon R9 380 Series

DirectX Driver Name: aticfx32.dll
Driver Version: 15.300.1025.0
DirectX Driver Version: 8.17.10.1429
Driver Date: 17 Nov 2015
OpenGL Version: 4.5
Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
DirectX Card: AMD Radeon R9 380 Series
VendorID: 0x1002
DeviceID: 0x6939
Number of Monitors: 1
Number of Logical Video Cards: 1
No SLI or Crossfire Detected
Primary Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Desktop Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Primary Display Size: 26.65" x 15.00" (30.55" diag)
67.7cm x 38.1cm (77.6cm diag)
Primary Bus Type Not Detected
Primary VRAM Not Detected
Supported MSAA Modes: 2x 4x 8x

Sound card:
Audio device: Speakers (2- Realtek High Defin

Memory:
RAM: 8174 Mb

Miscellaneous:
UI Language: English
Microphone: Not set
Media Type: DVD
Total Hard Disk Space Available: 1233335 Mb
Largest Free Hard Disk Block: 183601 Mb
OS Install Date: Dec 31 1969
Game Controller: XInput Controller #1 detected

Everything looks cold, so nothing but the color blue shows up on everything in different amounts.

There is no heat anywhere.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

This is very cool!

I'm just a little grouchy about this because I want a first person mod for The Ghostbusters PC game and I know it'll never happen.

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

There really should be mods for the first Splinter Cell. I think the Kola Cell missions were originally meant to take place between the Kalinatek and Chinese Embassy missions, judging from what I found on the PC demo's files years ago, the briefing for the first Chinese Embassy mission saying they used intelligence gleaned from the attempted attack on the Pickett Gap water plant instead of what was found in Kalinatek, data sticks mentioning Masse's death, the PS2-exclusive Nuclear Power Plant mission, and the fact that the GBA port of the game has a shipyard and submarine mission between the US and Myanmar missions.

"Let me guess - little blue men with three heads stole your sweetroll?"

• 4 weeks later...

They seem right to me :|

Check this place (Bank Mission initial section):

splintercell3_2016_03_11_11_33_55_913.jp

Edited by lowenz

They seem right to me :|

Check this place (Bank Mission initial section):

splintercell3_2016_03_11_11_33_55_913.jp

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/320125724621950452/2AF0CCA69A3F41E6796E152B3199A8EA9C531230/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/320125724621951054/568B0ED5A0445EB3C44028356225A7765223DAE8/

The thermals are too cool, there is no red anywhere and I'm looking at 2 guards dead on.

That looks wrong to me. As you described, it's all cold. There should be warmer colors (redish/pinkish) present surrounding the living NPC in the tent, for example, right?

Correct.

Edited by V-Man339

Yeah, there's a huge problem.

You can try yourself with a software rasterizer (Swiftshader) and the thermals are right using it.....anyone who wants to open a ticket for AMD support? :D

Edited by lowenz

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seeing as how this is generally speaking the "Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory" thread (feel free to rename and edit posts as needed, eh mods?) I figured I'd make this post here.

Two of the main developers from Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, the greatest stealth game ever made next to Metal Gear Solid 3, Thief 1/2 and Hitman Blood Money, walk through the best level in the entire series and explain their thought and developmental processes.

There is a lot to learn from this video.