The Dark Mod Forums

Building TDM on Debian 8 / SteamOS - TDM 2.0.3

professorkaos64

I got this to compile all the way and produce a debian file, however, I tried to start the game, but there appears to be some pathing issues with the changes I choose (pushing files to the traditional user games). The "journey" or my steps is outlined in my github issues post I created for my SteamOS external tools repository. If anyone has any direction at all on where to proceed next, that would be GREATLY appreciated. The repository in use is a snapshot of TDM 2.0.3 with Debian packaging. One of the issues that was hard to overcome, is the wiki page is woefully out of date, vs the Dark Radiant wiki page counterpart. This incorporates the zllib/scons patch posted on another thread (linked in my github post and in the patches folder).

The build came out to ~330 MB, so maybe I am missing a step to run the updater built afterward?

Builders: debuild or pdebuild (clean room)

chroot arch: i386 (pdebuild)

https://github.com/ProfessorKaos64/SteamOS-Tools/issues/126

Edited by professorkaos64

I dont know how to help you, but i want to mention that i'm working on a debian package too.

(My first package installs only the updater and sets permissions and .desktop files)

Maybe you can implement this in your project (and\or give me soms pointers)

Get the deb-file and his source from my portfolio.

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

I actually completed this last night. It is essentially a virtual package, even though I can now compile the source code if I wanted to. The updater grabs the extra files and core files anyway. It will stay like this for now. See the below post for full details. Took me a bit to get the right dependencies down, and a mix of amd64 packages (like unzip) and 32 bit libs for runtime. I added a launcher in the latest revision with some helpful options/flags for those with audio troubles, like I had. Works pretty well. If I get sound lag at the menu, a restart or two usually does it.

Details:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamOS/comments/47sml3/the_dark_mod_fan_game_inspired_by_the_original/

Nice post btw, which is great for multi-OS instructions. The way I approached it also works for SteamOS (read the linked post above), as root is 10 GB standard, which causes issues with other things fillinup up that space. It's dangerous on SteamOS to install large game files to /usr/games/ or /usr/share/games. So, I hacked together the rules file to determine if you are on SteamOS or not. If you are, it goes to the steam user folder (assumption, as it is SteamOS), otherwise it pushes to the standard /usr/share/games folder. I then fire off a postinst script to update the game files and so forth.

Nice job.
If we want to make TDM more known to new users, we should create also package for this OS.
To improve your and my packages for the future coming tdm-installer, i have some questions and bugs.

i would like to discuss them with you and others.

Questions:

• Why is it dangerous to install tdm game-folder in "/usr/share/games" in Steam OS?
    The popular Linuxdistro's use "/usr/share/applications" to only place desktopmenu shortcuts (.desktop) in it.
  • Whats your opinion about placing the TDM gamefolder in the homefolder?
    My opinion is to place the TDM-gamefolder (including the game missions) in the /usr/share/games/darkmod folder.
    Because other games / applications uses that folder too, instead of the home-folder.
    Some applications/games keep their personal settingsfiles in hidden folders in the homefolder, but other users cant reach for them (like the downloaded missions).
    Ok, there can be some write-permisions problems if you place it in a other folder, but can you solve this to give everybody read/write permissions.
  • Whats your opinion about downloading the game-files, using the tdm-updater in a packagemanager.
    My opinion is to run the updater outside the package-manager, because it take to long to download 2.7 gb files (from some slow mirrors)
    and sometimes the download process stops.

===

I have taken a look in your publisched package (thedarkmod_2.0.3+git+bsos6.orig.tar.gz).

I will use your package as an example to improve my package.

Here are some things/bugs i detected:
(Note: At the moment i have no experience with Steam OS.)
Package:

• i'm missing a menu-shortcut for the tdm-updater and a uninstall script.

Spec file:

• You named your tdm-package "thedarkmod". It's not compliant with the debian package policy, and tdm-mappers doesnt like it.
    please change this to "darkmod"
  • you forgot the "www" in the website.

postinst:

• for the first install, i recommend to add the parameter "--noselfupdate" to the tdm-updater.
    (because the updater doesn't restart when its updated himself. It stops the installation process, in ubuntu's and opensuse packagemanager)
Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

> Why is it dangerous to install tdm game-folder in "/usr/share/games" in Steam OS?

In the linked Reddit post you'll find a some of why I did this. In short, SteamOS has a default root partition of 10 GB, so installing games to /usr/games or /usr/share/games is dangerous, space fills up quick. I do this for my Streets of Rage Remake, only because the install is very small.
> Whats your opinion about placing the TDM gamefolder in the homefolder?
Isn't this along with the first question? If you mean /usr/share/games/ vs home as a permissions reason, then hmmm, if the download missions has issues with that location, then I could change that. It's hard to do this in the postinst stage then, since that runs as root. For non-SteamOS Debian derivatives, the post install script can be dumped somewhere such as /tmp. These users would be instructed to run it afterward, since of it firing off automatically for SteamOS users. hmmm. The other option, as you say, is to modify the permissions on /usr/share/games/darkmod.
> Whats your opinion about downloading the game-files, using the tdm-updater in a packagemanager.
I copy the post install script to /usr/share/games for users to run afterwards if that fails. I can always give them the choice to run now, or later in that post install script.
> i'm missing a menu-shortcut for the tdm-updater and a uninstall script.
Like above, I can transform the post install script to a case statement setup to give users the choice to do a few actions like that.
Good points. I'll also make the "old name" of thedarkmod a dummy package that depends on darkmod and get that at least out there.
Is there a wiki page that documents what flags like noselfupdate does? Thanks for helping make the package I have better. I renamed the package and transitioned the old. I'll work on the other items today at some point.

In-progress to-do file:

https://github.com/ProfessorKaos64/SteamOS-Tools-Packaging/blob/brewmaster/darkmod/readme.md

I began also making a post install wrapper to handle option flags:

https://github.com/ProfessorKaos64/SteamOS-Tools-Packaging/blob/brewmaster/darkmod/darkmod-updater.sh