The Dark Mod Forums

Name My Band

Sir Taffsalot

I'm starting a new band. I'm currently in the process of recording three songs. It's hard to categorize as its a combination of many influences. I guess it's technically prog rock a bit like Pink Floyd but even that's a stretch! Think lush ever evolving guitar soundscapes and instead of a singer there is a sample of someone giving an inspiring speech. At the moment I'm using samples from youtube of Stephen Hawkings and Richard Dawkings. I will upload the recordings once they are done.

I would like the name to mean something of a science, philosophical theme as is what I intend most of the samples to be about,

Also for inspiration please posts youtube links that you think might provide good snippets of speech to sample. I will not sample what I believe to be anything that might be controversial. I also do not care if I share the same philosophical or religious views. Any samples I use will not be a reflection of what I believe in. All I care about is that the samples are thought provoking, passionate and fit well with the Music. I'm currently using Stephen Hawkings and Richards Dawkings and while I mostly share their opinions and belief I am using their speeches because I find the construction of the speeches and the delivery to be beautiful and inspiring (yes even Stephen Hawkings in his robot voice).

At the moment I'm doing rythem guitar and my friend Graham is doing lead guitar. If there are any bass players and drummers (or bass players or drummers that you know of) in the London area then please PM me. I haven't written any keyboard parts for the songs yet but if there any keyboard players that are interested in this and want to have a go at writing their own parts then please get in contact also.

Peace and love to you all.

Edited by Sir Taffsalot
  • Like 2

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Howsabout

"Birefringence"

I love the word. Say it. It is fun!

In science it is a property of matter of which refractive index is dependent on the polarization of the light. So to say, a single ray of light (consisting of various polarizations), can take a different route through a material. This concept might be easy to expand to a philosophical level as well: sort of how things, in reality, are not necessary what they optically appear.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

• Homeomorphism
  • Subset
  • Tesselation
  • Penrose

It really depends on what you want the name to express.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Im no expert on how it should sound but it was noticeably more harsh than the rest of the track, still very good though!

Well it was done in my living room so I'm not expecting perfect quality. As long as potential band members can hear what I'm trying to create and use to work out their own parts then that's fine. When it comes to doing a proper recording we'll just rent out a recording studio for a day.

Glad you like it though.

The Joker

Here's a recording I've finished. I might try and redo the guitar distortion again as I think I can get it to sound a lot better. I love the rest though.

https://soundcloud.com/user830368557/starbound

This is good music for my solo saturday evening with good 12-year-old whiskey. I dunno about the Hawking talking and the huge distortion that starts around the middle part, though.

Clipper

This is good music for my solo saturday evening with good 12-year-old whiskey. I dunno about the Hawking talking and the huge distortion that starts around the middle part, though.

I can do an instrumental version with no Stephen Hawkings and no distortion. I wanted to do a stripped down instrumental version of this anyway just so I can show off my song writing skills. Soz if that sounds arrogant.

will record and upload 2mo.

Edited by Sir Taffsalot

The Joker

You might know them already, but if not you should check out "Public Service Broadcast", the band. Its a bit like what youre describing here, and like that aproach very much. Heres space to use the speech as a direct, literal message, or as a sort of broken up poetry, working with the pieces, fragments and so on. Will take a listen when Im home!

Here's a recording I've finished. I might try and redo the guitar distortion again as I think I can get it to sound a lot better. I love the rest though.

https://soundcloud.com/user830368557/starbound

That sounds great man! It was a very drifty chilled out song, definitely something nice to put on in the background while mapping. Have you ever thought about adding a drum track maybe and around half way in kicking it in or something?

That was incredible! Thanks for giving me a new band to listen to :D

Also during the interview their accents are so awesome.

"This video can not be shown in germany as it may contain music GEMA didn't allow us to show."

God, I hate my country from times. :(

Regarding the song of Taff's: I found the computer voice a bit irritating. Maybe it would sound better if you would speak the words yourself. The distortion is a bit too strong, maybe start with a lesser one and let it rise over time (if that's possible, I'm no expert with this stuff as I play no instrument myself). But it sounds quite good thus far anyways, just needs some fine tuning. (Or as Biker may say: a few more detail passes).

Wow. That's some Big Brother censorship in there, Obs.

The song contains audio snippets from german air raid, so that's why it has been censored in Germany, I guess.

Let's just pretend history did not happen, shall we?

Clipper

The song contains audio snippets from german air raid, so that's why it has been censored in Germany, I guess.

Actually with GEMA they handle Germanys royalties with music and performance, because YouTube and GEMA could not reach an agreement on price (GEMA demanded much more money than YouTube was willing to pay) they never reached an agreement so instead of settling with them YouTube just opted to block the videos from being shown in Germany.

That is not the reason. The don't allow to show anything if GEMA didn't get paid for it (as Goldwell says). In terms of history germany actually behaves actually exactly the opposite.

I would like the name to mean something of a science, philosophical theme as is what I intend most of the samples to be about,

Strange Attractor.

Apoptosis.

Exocortex.

The Copenhagen Interpretation.

But i am good at creating funny band names, too :-)

Cloaca Ravioli

The Shenanigans

The Oxy Morons

Jihadi Moses (okay, okay, i know. Forget about this one). :laugh:

Edited by Trickster
  • Like 2

I like "The Oxy Morons" :D

What about the name QED?