The Dark Mod Forums

In-Home streaming via Steam: The Darkmod

Bikerdude

You can just add any exe to Steam, it's nothing official.

What she said.

What I was testing was to see if I could stream 'any' game in-home from one PC to the other, so The Darkmod was the perfect candidate. Essentially Steam is nothing more than lag-free, low latency remote desktop/Vnc. What this also shows is essentially I could stream 'any' application not just a game. What this also show is why do I/we even need the Steam client if its just acting a fancy remote desktop client/server...

So I am going have a look at see what other, open source alternative are out there.

If you have a Roku or similar device and a windows 7+ computer with Wifi you can stream to it using Miracast.

Win+C > Devices > Project > Destination

I canceled my cable subscription a few months back and have been using this to watch sports that I cannot otherwise.

I presume it would work fine for full screen games, and you could probably even use it as a second monitor.

Edited by rich_is_bored

I have a chromecast hooked to my TV. Casting your whole screen from the laptop to the TV kind of worked, there is a big delay though that I noticed.

But that might be the limitation of the Chromecast.

For TDM, just Add Non Steam Game. You get the overlay in game which is pretty usefull. It's nice being able to browse without Alt+Tabbing

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Hah, its neat at the moment. And the mic is just a Blue yeti I picked up off ebay and mic arm off amazon. It allows me to record reletivly clear audio, so I only have to do minimal processing in audacity. All my average jack lines were done via this mic.

Does anybody have look with Thief 2? Everytime when I tried it, I got only a black screen on client side and after a while the steam streaming client stops working. No problems with other games.

I will have a go at getting this working this evening watch this space.