The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Smiling Cutpurse by Airship Ballet (2016/03/25)

Airship Ballet

I couldn't get TDM to recognize the pk4.

I changed the pk4 extension to zip, but Winzip says it isn't a valid archive.

Edit: This looks to be an aborted download problem. I'll report back when I can get a good complete download.

Edit 2: That was it. It downloaded in spurts, and took a while to complete. Ok now.

Excellent. Looking forward to you pumping out another in two weeks time!

Hah! That's only counting days spent working on it. I actually started it 5 months ago, then worked on it for a fortnight, then didn't touch it for nearly half a year. I just jump around a lot between all my vaguely productive hobbies to avoid burn-out on any one thing, but never really found myself in the mood for finishing this specific mission until last night. I'm awful, I know.

• Like 2

Finally a new mission! I feel like it's getting less and less.

I only checked it out a little bit (will finish tomorrow), but I really like it! Compared to your other missions I enjoy not having to read too much before starting the mission - it's nice and simple. I like it that way. Yes I'm completely lazy.

And the sewer section seems kinda familiar. ;)

As for the build time - for me it would be interesting to know how long it's actually been since starting the mission - in your case 5 months - but not for this mission specifically, but for every mapper. That would give a more realistic estimate how soon the community can expect a new mission to be released.

Edited by Nico A.

I got to play through this, the only part I had trouble with was

finding where the Owner's Room was, since the 1st floor is symmetrical and I was left with the impression there was only one redbrown wood door - the noble's one.

Otherwise, it was great fun to murder pretty much everyone in the inn including people in their sleep (don't judge my bloodlust)! For feedback, I spotted a couple of black paintings in the room with the blue wallpaper so that skin's probably not included and one of the notes in the delivery room didn't have its frobdistance to 1 and I think that's about it.

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

This was an enjoyable mission, with a generous amount of content for the two weeks of work spent on it (although I assume a lot of extra effort went into actually making the modules you ended up using).

The construction would be just a little bit "samey", which is an inherent consequence of modular building, but this is neatly counterbalanced by the imaginative and varied way the rooms are stocked, and how they are linked to the main story. It all comes together well. The only place where modularity becomes an issue is in the corridors (granted, the inn theme makes it challenging to introduce variety). There is also a room right at the start that doesn't have a proper exit - spooky!

The gameplay is surprisingly straightforward after getting used to the more demanding puzzles in Quinn Co. I expected the hidden room to be something genuinely devilishly well hidden behind layers of security and mechanical shenanigans, and, well, it isn't. Not a fault, just odd in comparison.

But really, two weeks? A lot of good content for that kind of building time.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

But really, two weeks? A lot of good content for that kind of building time.

Yep! The modulars took two days, building everything with them only took one, and after that it was just a fortnight of scattering decorations and building the exterior!

I did run into an non extinguishable candle in the bar. It is the one next to a guy sitting on a bank. Since other candles behave normal, I reckon this is a small bug?

I was about to also tell about this. It is on the table in the little recess at the north side of the bar.

I finished this mission in 1 hour on easy, missing 500 to all the loot. Not quite a master thief yet I guess. xD I really enjoyed it. I can go with some more modular building if that means a higher frequency of mission releases. :)

Edited by Nico A.
  • Like 1

Is there any significance to the book you can steal from the Inventor? Or is it a relic left from Quinn Co.? Also, what's with the sliding door opening sound after picking up the log book? Does something actually open after that?

"Let me guess - little blue men with three heads stole your sweetroll?"

Is there any significance to the book you can steal from the Inventor? Or is it a relic left from Quinn Co.?

Oh, whoops. Like I said, it was going to be a Quinn Co. mission. That was a side objective at one point. I'll take it out when people are done finding things to fix.

I did run into an non extinguishable candle in the bar. It is the one next to a guy sitting on a bank. Since other candles behave normal, I reckon this is a small bug?

I had a problem with the same candle (and it's in a rather vital spot): I couldn't pick it, and had to extinguish it twice! However it stayed unlit after that.

Is there anything to be done with the inventor's schematics?

Definitely enjoyed the map, managed to play through with a stealth score of 0 (and 6 level zero bumps), but missed quite a bit of the loot and used more water arrows than necessary (I think one is unavoidable).

Found the "cutpurse" theme unconvincing -- seems a bit too much of a high class establishment for that.