The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Smiling Cutpurse by Airship Ballet (2016/03/25)

Airship Ballet

Well, the manager didn't see too happy about his guests, they didn't sound like the usual customers. The rooms are clean, spacious and well appointed (though come to think of it I don't remember *any* bathrooms!) Apart from the lack of facilities (yeah, where's the kitchen and dining room, where do the staff live?) it just looks like a wealthy high class establishment.

While I'm being nit-picky about geography ... how does the manager get into his office? Not by

climbing over the counter,

surely!

Edited by Araneidae

Also, what's with the sliding door opening sound after picking up the log book? Does something actually open after that?

For me, the grinding sound starts, when I open the vault door. I suppose it should stop, when the door is fully opened - but it doesn't. It stays audible until I leave the area.

Another minor bug, the ladder in the attic is not usable. I have to jump to the ledge, to get up.

After the hint about the trapdoor, I spend some time in room 2, to find it and get it open. Was there something to be found?

All in all an solid mission, thank you for giving it to us. I'll try it again later without the bodystacking ;)

One more question, the statistics show two killed people, even though I only used my BJ?

Edited by s.urfer

Thanks for the mission, and gratz on the release! I played through it last night, and was able to almost fully ghost it, with the exceptions of

the innkeeper and the thief.

Very nice little mission, especially for only two weeks - modular building seems like a powerful technique indeed. In terms of issues, I only found three pretty minor ones:

1. The haunted candlestick was already mentioned, so nothing new there I guess.

2. The material for the portrait on the northeast desk, in the room behind the counter, seems to be missing?

3. Had some minor issues frobbing the one piece of loot in the Builder's room chest. Ended up having to pull noclip shenanigans to get at it. Anyone else run into this?

Anyway, thanks again, and nice work!

Aosys, by "fully ghost" you mean without tools? One water arrow each is enough, of course.

I'm probably not following the full rules of ghost (it's not a style I usually play in), but I did try for no-tools, no-alert run, since this FM seems pretty well set up for it. I ended up having to blackjack the two aforementioned characters, since they were in the way of loot/objectives. In hindsight, I probably could have used water arrows or something, but eh, I'll take what I got and roll with it.

[Edit] Actually, I just remembered, I had to blackjack a third guy too.

One of the sleepers had a purse, and the only way for me to get at it was to knock him out. So there's that...

Edited by Aosys

Actually, I just remembered, I had to blackjack a third guy too.

One of the sleepers had a purse, and the only way for me to get at it was to knock him out. So there's that...

Yes, just discovered that. Don't think there's any way to ghost that. In the end I used a noise arrow, which causes a hell of a commotion.

I feel a bit cheated by that last bit of loot: there's no way I'd come across it without using some form of cheat, unless I was going around blackjacking everybody!

Very enjoyable map. Airship Ballet, if you're doing fixes, there's also some kind of problem with the ambient sound from the locked room which once unlocked seems to be audible for a very long distance.

Edited by Araneidae

Congratulations on the release, Airship Ballet.

I really liked this mission. It wasn't as small as I initially assumed. There was one candle in the bar I couldn't douse, and I think in one of the noble rooms there was a black painting, but it didn't bother me, and I noticed no other weirdness of problems.

At first I was confused because there seemed to be quite a few locked rooms, and I didn't seem to get anywhere. Then I realized I probably should have gone to the reception area first. I did that last, hence my problem. Once I got there, however, I found the key and things seemed to fall into place.

Overall, a nice mission for a rainy afternoon. Thank you :)

Got through blackjacking everyone except...

...my collegue who i shot an arrow to the head and dumped down the hole (that i could not manage to close afterwards).

I especially liked the surprise schematics loot (you should make it count as loot though) and the magic candle.

I too noticed the black paintings in the owner's room.

There was only a pinch of keyhunting and some really odd building layout (like having no windows in most of the rooms touching the outside and mismatching windows visible from outside). Also missed some facilities like bath rooms for the "lower" guests.

I would have liked to find something of value except that log book in the (surprisingly unhidden) vault.

In total, it was straight forward fun and i would like to play one of these every one or two months (would try to play 'em all even with higher release frequency though *g*).

Maximum satisfactional value may or may not be limited by modular building. But there are way too few "just some regular thieving fun" missions anyway. So pile up the missions please as your work helps keeping calm the little evil criminal inside me ;)

Yes, just discovered that. Don't think there's any way to ghost that. In the end I used a noise arrow, which causes a hell of a commotion.

I feel a bit cheated by that last bit of loot: there's no way I'd come across it without using some form of cheat, unless I was going around blackjacking everybody!

Very enjoyable map. Airship Ballet, if you're doing fixes, there's also some kind of problem with the ambient sound from the locked room which once unlocked seems to be audible for a very long distance.

I managed to pick it, it's just a stupid specific and difficult frob.

I really think we should have some kind of patch to ensure it's easier to pickpocket sleepers.

Other than that, one of the crosses in the hay in the chest in room 1 is very, very difficult to get at.

I was otherwise able to do the entire level at stealth score 0 with no knockouts, and am happy to say I can lock all doors behind me as well.

As well, the inventor's guild book leftover is inside a chest I can't shut once it's open.

Finally, I think you should be able to shut the trapdoor once you've opened it. If you can, I didn't find it easy.

I'll hold off on the video until you've patched things up, Airship.

Edited by V-Man339

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Just played this FM today. I didn't realize it was that old... had to look a bit lower in the forum to find the thread. I guess I can still post a few thoughts on it?

Overall very good mission. Pretty small and simple, but high quality still... would have been nice if there were more readables and some extra character interaction. I like that it wasn't overly complicated though, considering that some FM's cause you to get stuck for a long time looking for a way to progress.

I did have one curiosity while playing this: From a realistic standpoint, is it explained why the guards are attacking you in an inn? Inns are kind of public places unlike breaking into a mansion, so at first I kind of expected that I could walk around in plain sight and the guards would treat me like one of the guests. Obviously it makes sense gameplay wise.