The Dark Mod Forums

Mapping Methodologies

Aosys

So I've been on-off working on various missions of some description or another, and during the course of doing this I've been thinking about the process of bringing an FM together from start to finish. That is, maybe less the technical side and more: how does one go from an idea, to a fleshed-out concept, to a final product? There is some good stuff on the "Mission Design Tips" wiki page (http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Mission_Design_Tips), but I feel there's more to the mapping process that can be explored and expanded upon. So I was wondering, how does everyone here do it? Is there a particular mapping method(s) that works for you / that you'd recommend?

Some things that might be nice to learn more about, just to start the ball rolling (provided this thread isn't redundant):

1. Where do you draw your inspiration from? How do you tend to come up with a mission idea?

2. What building techniques do you utilize? Free building? Planning everything on paper first? Bare-bones architecture first? Modular? Creating major areas, then linking them all up later? Something else?

3. What do you do to keep morale up / keep progress going, particularly when you've been working on the same mission for a long time?

4. What are some of the most important things to keep in mind when creating a mission?

5. Are there any particular mapping practices you'd argue for/against?

6. What are some of the most common issues you run into when creating a mission, and what are some ways you can overcome these issues?

7. Would something like a GDD for missions be useful? What about something like a cognitive model of TDM players?

• Like 1

As my first FM is still in the oven I don't have the experience of multiple levels behind me, but I can say that what helped me not quit and keep progressing was building the entire thing in dev textured, blocky brushes first. That way, the sunk cost fallacy kicks in your brain, and it's much harder to quit on an entire, unfinished map than a small, but polished map chunk.

This of course requires that you think up of your whole level first, but! I've had it where I'd worked on other personal projects where I had spent a month thinking of all the cool things that would be in it without attempting any implementation. Finally I went to the SDK and whoops, can't do half of it because of software limitations, there's the entire thing trashed. That's why it's super important to test how feasible your ideas are as soon as possible, rather than spend hours with a notepad.

If you commit to a slow, but iterative process like that, it's important to keep small, achievable goals to keep you motivated. Have a checklist of passes you need to go through: texturing, trim, props, lighting, AI, etc. It's also very useful to section your map into multiple areas so if you get bored or stuck, you can always jump to another one and always keep making progress.

I've been wanting to try and make modular building work, but that's for after whenever this FM gets done. For point number 5, and this is pretty closely related to modular, I'd say "Keep your grid sizes consistent!" I think that even in free building, the old-school way, being tidy with your brushes is extremely important. Don't have one wall be 8 units and another 16, unless there's some real reason for it. Don't have your trim be one third of your wall, that makes tiling the texture correctly a nightmare! Just stuff like that.

I'm a visual type of person, so first thing I'll do is just think of a cool location to be in. Something I, as the player, would enjoy exploring. It could be a house in a city mission, or a nice foyer or banquet hall in a mansion. From there, it's easy for my imagination to spiral out into how the street connecting the house look like, or how the other rooms in the mansion connecting to that hall are like. Then you go from those rooms to the other rooms and you see where this is going. I then think about how to design gameplay around that. I feel this makes it more organic (and constraints are always good to work in), as there's nothing I hate more than being taken out of the simulation and realizing somebody's just making me do timing puzzles with an architectural set dressing.

Story is sort of the same, it's always more fun to put the most bare-bones of themes or just one very specific event in, then go from there. Better to have a central idea that facilitates interesting side-stories than making the player go through the Silmarillion just so they could enjoy your mission. The approach is nice since at its core it keeps the player's motivation simple and grounds the story in their action rather than that of outside forces.

• Like 3

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

The stepwise refinement method has been influential to me. http://southquarter.com/dromed/?p=70 Caveat emptor, that tut has some bad advice too, and isn't for TDM. Just take the gist. Mostly I think it boils down to building the entire space of your whole map right at the start in a rough cut, then fill it in area by area. And plan in a similar way, eg, have a rough cut idea of the whole thing to start, then refined plans as you go. Having the whole space there right off helps motivation. You can see what you have to do in work-day-sized chunks.

Story and plot design is really important to me, so much that I wrote a wiki entry for it. http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Story_and_Plot_Design

I have a lot of FMs scripted out. I'm the opposite of the type that builds a lot but doesn't come up with plots well.

Also useful to look at past threads on this: http://www.ttlg.mobi/whats-your-fm-building-process-thread-133150-page-1.aspx

• Like 2

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I also have not very much experience regarding finishing missions. So far, I have worked on one map, that was 90% built regarding architecture (it was actually the last apartment I lived in), but I noticed, that it is very difficult to get interesting gameplay in there. So I started over again. In the process I changed the story of what I was working on (I think so far there were four major changes in that, but now I am actually set with that) and started a new level. Following the advice of an experienced mapper (I am not sure who it was), I wanted to make a small map with not too many rooms. As I worked on it, it grew bigger and bigger and I postponed it and am currently working on a small map, that is a prequel to the growing mission... So in short: I am also quite new to mapping (even though I did it on an off-and-on basis for over a year), but here's my experience regarding your questions:

1. Where do you draw your inspiration from? How do you tend to come up with a mission idea?

I mostly draw inspiration from books, films and other games. I change and mix details, especially when they don't fit the setting. My prequel map is simply inspired by a RPG rulebook, that had the floor plan of the building in it and also some suggestions of adventures for the players, one of which I also included.

2. What building techniques do you utilize?

In one of my former attempts I tried the modular building technique, but it did not really work out for me. In the future I also want to make a city mission and I think there will be no way around modular there, if I want to get it done in a reasonable amount of time. Currently, I rebuilt from a floor plan, which works really nice, but was only possible, because I had it at hand. I cannot draw it our for myself, so if I don't have a floor plan from somewhere else I prefer free building. On the other hand: This is the reason my other mission got bigger and bigger. Also, in the small mission I made the mistake not to keep an eye on the grid size. That is the reason I spent a couple of hours leak hunting after I made some bigger changes. So I can definitely second Spooks' advice for tidiness.

3. What do you do to keep morale up / keep progress going, particularly when you've been working on the same mission for a long time?

As you can see, I am actually switching all the time. But what helps me a lot is to have a fixed time, when I work on the mission. Just as you make time for sport (e.g. every Wednesday evening), I have an hour every morning, in which I work on my current project. Of course, there are also days, I am not in the mood, but all in all it helps me to keep going.

4. What are some of the most important things to keep in mind when creating a mission?

This is a tough one. There are a lot of things to consider. The tidiness, that was mentioned before is important. Also, I think it is good, if you try to see your level from a player's perspective. Is it realistic that this secret can be found without knowing, where exactly it is? Is this part really challenging? Would I enjoy playing it. Stuff like that. Another thing I learned (as mentioned before): Not every building makes a good mission. Keep in mind, that the game is about stealth and exploration (at least for me it is), so it is important to give the player freedom and not only one set way to solve a puzzle.

Not really. Do it as you feel comfortable. Try different styles and take from each style what suits you best. There really is no right or wrong here. Just a "get it done". And best have fun while doing it ;-)

6. What are some of the most common issues you run into when creating a mission, and what are some ways you can overcome these issues?

Hard to say. Again the tidiness comes to mind. Apart from that: read in the forum, what problems other people have encountered. If you have problems yourself don't hesitate to ask. I believe this strongly depends on the mapping style you choose and your workflow in general.

7. Would something like a GDD for missions be useful? What about something like a cognitive model of TDM players?

I am not sure how much good a GDD would be. Each mission has a description already, although it depends on the map author how detailed it is. There was also the discussion about a tag system for missions that would describe the missions a bit better, but I am not sure how this idea is faring... I am not sure what you mean by "cognitive model of TDM players". But if it has to do with how players perceive a mission, there is the FM part of the forum, where players can comment on the mission.

So, this was longer than I first planned... I hope it helps, but I have no time now to proofread the post (as I usually do), so I apologise for any spelling errors.

Edited by Destined
  • Like 2

Typically from a visual idea that emerges in my head, or the fragment of a story, some vague idea. I often do architectural concept sketches. For example, Penny Dreadful 2 came from this sketch:

post-2023-0-14787800-1460015412_thumb.png

My first Thief mission was made to plan, and only changed slightly. The second and third were almost completely improvised. The last was built around sketched architectural elements, but the goals and structure of the mission changed significantly. And I have a bunch of sketches and maps for missions that haven't been realised (yet).

There are similar patterns in TDM: PD1 and Return to the City were fully improvised, PD2 and PD3 built around concepts, while Fauchard Street and The Rats Triumphant were speed builds with precise objectives and relatively little organic development due to time constraints.

2. What building techniques do you utilize? Free building? Planning everything on paper first? Bare-bones architecture first? Modular? Creating major areas, then linking them all up later? Something else?

I have tried multiple building styles, including prefab-heavy missions and others. They have their respective draws and problems. For PD3, I am shying away from too many prefab elements, since I want it to have a very handcrafted, non-repetitive look that's mostly BSP-based.

In most missions, I build scene by scene (although I often return to older scenes), and don't really enjoy the stepwise approach of doing a level task by task. I like to exploit opportunities that crop up during the building process, and use them to build new areas. If there is a place that looks like a fun location to climb up, why not make it possible?

I procrastinate a whole lot, or set a project aside for a long time. Not a great solution, but that's it. There is also a time when I start to lose interest in a project, which is a sign telling me to wrap it up and release it. This is also why I'm reluctant to do mission updates.

Gameplay trumps realism, story, and really every other concern. Mood is also very important. Light and sound contribute much to mood.

I'm all for testing the mission as much as possible, with a lot of different approaches - stealthy, ghosting, violent, no equipment use or lot of equipment use, and so on. It makes the mission smoother, and it is a good source of new ideas.

I am against obscure secret switches, since they can really break the flow of a mission. Generally, core objectives should not be too hard or too obscure - but they are fun to leave as extras.

Learn to avoid invisible walls, excessive linearity, and other restrictive trappings of modern gaming. Enable, and don't constrain the player. Think in terms of alternate solutions to gameplay challenges. Allow yourself to be surprised.

Performance-related problems, due to being over-ambitious. Fortunately, Bikerdude has helped me overcome most of them.

Maybe. Not as holy writ, but as design tips, sure.

• Like 4

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved