The Dark Mod Forums

Compiled LLVMpipe/Softpipe for Windows

lowenz

Anyone can upload a binary/compiled version of last LLVMpipe/Softpipe from Mesa3D 11.2.0 ? (sw "opengl32.dll" :P )

I'm trying to do it by myself but I encounter a scons error :/

And hey, now Mesa3D got OpenGL 4.x compliance, so we can test TDM with a software rasterizer :D (and it got Intel OpenSWR too: http://openswr.org/ https://github.com/OpenSWR/openswr-mesa )

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 1

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

...or help me understand :D (I use MSVC 2015+Clang)

I followed all the steps here: https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2015-April/081220.html

MSVC and Flex/Bison checks are OK but the compiling script seems to have some problems:

TypeError: 'tuple' object is not callable:
  File "C:\mesa\SConstruct", line 138:
    duplicate = 0 # http://www.scons.org/doc/0.97/HTML/scons-user/x2261.html
  File "C:\Python27\Scripts\..\Lib\site-packages\scons-2.5.0\SCons\Script\SConscript.py", line 604:
    return method(*args, **kw)
  File "C:\Python27\Scripts\..\Lib\site-packages\scons-2.5.0\SCons\Script\SConscript.py", line 541:
    return _SConscript(self.fs, *files, **subst_kw)
  File "C:\Python27\Scripts\..\Lib\site-packages\scons-2.5.0\SCons\Script\SConscript.py", line 250:
    exec _file_ in call_stack[-1].globals
  File "C:\mesa\src\SConscript", line 7:
    SConscript('util/SConscript')
  File "C:\Python27\Scripts\..\Lib\site-packages\scons-2.5.0\SCons\Script\SConscript.py", line 604:
    return method(*args, **kw)
  File "C:\Python27\Scripts\..\Lib\site-packages\scons-2.5.0\SCons\Script\SConscript.py", line 541:
    return _SConscript(self.fs, *files, **subst_kw)
  File "C:\Python27\Scripts\..\Lib\site-packages\scons-2.5.0\SCons\Script\SConscript.py", line 250:
    exec _file_ in call_stack[-1].globals
  File "C:\mesa\src\util\SConscript", line 25:
    command = python_cmd + ' $SCRIPT > $TARGET'
  File "C:\Python27\Scripts\..\Lib\site-packages\scons-2.5.0\SCons\Environment.py", line 224:
    return self.method(*nargs, **kwargs)
  File "C:\mesa\scons\custom.py", line 143:
    deps += script_src.get_implicit_deps(env, python_scanner, path)
  File "C:\Python27\Scripts\..\Lib\site-packages\scons-2.5.0\SCons\Node\__init__.py", line 941:
    path = path_func(scanner)
Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

• 1 month later...

Found a way.....directly with MSVC 2015 :P

Problem now is for LLVMPipe only (I got SofPipe compiling and linking in a nice DLL :D )

Linking build\windows-x86-debug\util\roundeven_test.exe ...
LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'LLVMBitWriter.lib'
scons: *** [build\windows-x86-debug\util\roundeven_test.exe] Error 1181
scons: building terminated because of errors.

LLVMBitWriter.lib is existing and in the right place, damn SCONS..... :wacko:

Now Mesa (12) officially got this nice alternative SW rasterizer too, as driver for gallium: http://openswr.org/

Edited by lowenz

Well, temporary solution: prebuild DLL from MSYS2 :P

If you want to try (maybe with TDM): https://sourceforge.net/projects/msys2/files/REPOS/MINGW/i686/mingw-w64-i686-mesa-11.2.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz/download

Edited by lowenz

Sorry, my tech knowledge is not up to date. What does this do exactly?

LLVMPipe is a LLVM-optimized Gallium implementation (aka driver) and Gallium is an OpenGL software rasterizer of MESA package :D

It can execute OpenGL code *without* an OpenGL compliant GPU or execute old code not compatible with new GPU drivers (retrogamer best friend :P )

The next version (12.x) will have another Gallium implementation (OpenSWR), made by Intel itself for its new AVX/AVX2 CPUs.

So we can choose LLVMPipe or OpenSWR.

LLVMPipe is really good, it can run Unreal @1280x960 with lastest OpenGL renderer (unofficial patch 227i) @28/30 FPS. Yes, CPU-only.

But TDM seems to not like Mesa :(

Edited by lowenz

• 1 month later...

QT Creator 4.1b is released today, with LLVM 3.8 support and bundled LLVMPipe compiled with LLVM 3.8 also

So I can run OpenGL 3.0 (waiting for Mesa 12.x!) code with my CPUs.....the old one, an i3 530@3.7 Ghz, and the shiny new i3 6300 stock ('cause only LLVM 3.8 is compatible it!)

Unreal FlyBy OpenGL (patch 227i) 1280x960:

i3 530: 24 FPS

i3 6300: 36 FPS

50% speedup with the same frequence and the same core number (2 with HT).

Now this is progress :D

Waiting for MSYS2 Mesa 12.x LLVMPipe for MOAR performance :P

Edited by lowenz

It's an IDE for QT libraries development :D

Here's the press release: http://blog.qt.io/blog/2016/07/06/qt-creator-4-1-0-beta-released/

And here's the 7zip package: http://download.qt.io/development_releases/qtcreator/4.1/4.1.0-beta1/installer_source/windows_vs2013_32/qtcreator.7z

Download it, search for "opengl32sw.dll", rename it to "opengl32.dll" and you'll have your MESA-compliant CPU driver for OpenGL 3.0 optimized with LLVM 3.8 :D

Put it in your OpenGL 3.0 application/game exe folder and watch your processor do the GPU's work :P

Edited by lowenz

TDM sadly doesn't start with Mesa.....but they can control why and patch it to work with Mesa.

It would be perfect for Linux non-proprietary-drivers-loving users.....and Windows using LLVMPipe too :D

More steps toward a perfectly-compatible OpenGL application :D

Edited by lowenz

OK, Mesa 12 is out: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=mesa-12-released&num=1

OpenGL 4.3 LLVMPipe based on LLVM 3.8 and OpenSWR !

Waiting for someone who can compile Windows binaries :D (32&64 bit "opengl32.dll" for LLVMPipe and for OpenSWR)

Edited by lowenz

• 2 months later...

I GOT IT!

My DLL (MSVC compiled, with no particular optimizations): 42.5 FPS in Unreal

QTCreator DLL (MinGW crosscompiled?): 35.5 FPS in Unreal

I'll report the details soon :P The key was to use the old LLVM 3.7.1!

I'm the boss! Men, it seems to me I landed on the taffin' Moon :laugh:B)

image.png

It would be really interesting to run TDM on Mesa/LLVMPipe!

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 1

It would be really interesting to run TDM on Mesa/LLVMPipe!

LOL, TDM runs! It runs!

I got the start screen music playing but I can't see the background and the menu :D

The_Dark_Mod_2016_09_13_00_02_56_640.png

Our devs can't fix this problem? It's surely a little incompatibility with Mesa loading the assets!

Edited by lowenz

Loading a map from the console is perfectly working, the problem is the gamma handling and the textures that do not show up/are corrupt :P

But the geometry is there, you can see it just increasing the gamma over 2/3.....and you can walk around (@2 FPS in a pitch black environment :D )

Edited by lowenz

No benefits other than "We got a pseudo-reference OpenGL CPU rasterizer" and "Meeeen, now I can benchmark the CPU with some REAL heavy and optimized task" :ph34r::laugh:

With compression disable, still black: problem is *loading* the textures:

The_Dark_Mod_2016_09_15_21_07_27_613.png

Edited by lowenz

Please post a condump and I'll try to examine the failure points.

Some of those messages are just console spam about unused native image loading.

Though, as I recall, we don't ship all textures with uncompressed versions so to validate it may require

a test map with only uncompressed textures.

Of course, if you can ensure that S3TC compression support exists in the llvm-softpipe that would help narrow

things. Typically, modern GPL software has avoided S3TC support as it's considered a proprietary license so

you need to add it via an extension dependency.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)